U.S. Politics IV

Annelise

Picking up a convo from the last thread..

[quote]The idea that we were first to mass produce automobiles and therefore, we ought to be competitive is rather poor logic. It works better as cheer-leading, not so much as an argument.[/quote]

He's going to give GM and/or Chrysler more money this spring*, he has to try to make that palpable to the public. So an appeal to national pride & jobs. While Henry Ford's successes and accomplishments and the former dominance of the American auto industry are a point of historical pride, I think it also resonates as part of our cultural landscape.

*Oh please let it be loan money and not a black hole.

[quote]...when Jindal did his hokey walk-into-frame thing, like some dipshit on an infomercial.[/quote]

Got up to speed, thanks. John Stewart just played the clip of the above, then the opening of Mister Roger's Neighborhood...

Also, I bring you 100% undiluted GOP:

[url="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/25/gop-lawmakers-comments-hiv-promiscuity-cause-uproa/"]AIDS for Babies to make people stop having as much sex outside marriage[/url]

No, I'm not kidding.

Seriously, not kidding:[quote]Sen. Dave Schultheis, of Colorado Springs, on Wednesday opposed a bill requiring pregnant women to be tested for HIV so that if they are infected their babies can be treated to prevent the virus's transfer.

"This stems from sexual promiscuity for the most part, and I just can't go there," he said.

"We do things continually to remove the consequences of poor behavior, unacceptable behavior, quite frankly. I'm not convinced that part of the role of government should be to protect individuals from the negative consequences of their actions."[/quote]

The leadership's response?[quote]Senate Minority Leader Josh Penry responded he is not going to muzzle his caucus, although he has reminded his colleagues "we should never lose sight of the humanity of people on the other side of an issue."[/quote][quote]He added that he thought Democrats were trying to "gin up the outrage machine" and said their hands aren't clean when it comes to questionable comments.[/quote]

I don't think I need to comment on this much beyond that.

It's amusing watching the GOP flail about aimlessly trying to find a direction or even a leader for their party. I'm sceptical of whether Obama's plans will be enough to fix the broken economy, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything the GOP has proposed thus far.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1700601' date='Feb 25 2009, 23.12']Also, I bring you 100% undiluted GOP:

[url="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/25/gop-lawmakers-comments-hiv-promiscuity-cause-uproa/"]AIDS for Babies to make people stop having as much sex outside marriage[/url]

No, I'm not kidding.

Seriously, not kidding:

The leadership's response?

I don't think I need to comment on this much beyond that.[/quote]
Dammit Shryke, I was gonna post that! :mad:

Also, [url="http://www.npr.org/news/specials/2009/obamatracker/"]NPR tracker[/url] for how Obama's been doing so far.

And if you're going to watch ONE political ad, make it [url="http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_political/2383281.html"]this [/url]one. Bright Knight indeed.

Wait, wait, wait, isn't the GOP supposed to be big on the rights of the unborn? And the guys' argument doesn't even make sense, since the child is of course not responsible for the parents' sinful behaviour. So why would they oppose this legislation? Oh well, best not to try to understand but merely watch in amazement as the GOP slavers and gibbers like an absurdly deranged acolyte of Cthulhu. :P

The thing which kinda stuck out about Jindal's response was his attack on volcano monitoring stations included in the stimulus bill. These stations are needed, shovel ready infrastructure projects, and thus no where near as bad as some of the other items in the bill. You would think though, that a guy that is the governor of a state hit by one of the worst natural disasters in US history would not single out a part of the stimulus package that prepares the country for natural disasters.

[quote name='Warlock of Quarth' post='1700801' date='Feb 26 2009, 08.50']Wait, wait, wait, isn't the GOP supposed to be big on the rights of the unborn?[/quote]

Yeah... I have never heard of that sort of disregard for the unborn from a Republican before. :stunned: There were other ways to object to it, too. Instead of whores deserve sick babies as punishment. Well, I guess it's honest anyway. Transparency in government, haha. I get a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Spitzer"]Eliot Spitzer[/url] vibe from this Schultheis guy.

[quote]And if you're going to watch ONE political ad, make it this one. Bright Knight indeed.[/quote]

:rofl: :thumbsup: ETA: "GONE TO THE F#%!N' WHITE-HOUSE - ♥ Rahm" :lol:

[quote name='Shryke' post='1700601' date='Feb 26 2009, 02.12'][url="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/25/gop-lawmakers-comments-hiv-promiscuity-cause-uproa/"]AIDS for Babies to make people stop having as much sex outside marriage[/url][/quote]
:bang: goddamnit, can we outlaw stupidity? :bang:

[quote name='Frog Eater' post='1700823' date='Feb 26 2009, 09.11']:bang: goddamnit, can we outlaw stupidity? :bang:[/quote]

Oh.my.god, I just read the whole article and it manages to get worse.

[quote]What Schultheis said afterward: "What I'm hoping is that yes, that person may have AIDS, have it seriously as a baby and when they grow up, but the mother will begin to feel guilt as a result of that. The family will see the negative consequences of that promiscuity and it may make a number of people over the coming years ... begin to realize that there are negative consequences and maybe they should adjust their behavior. We can't keep people from being raped. We can't keep people from shooting each other. We can't keep people from jumping off bridges. People drink and drive, and they crash and kill people. Poor behavior has its consequences."

[...]

Two days earlier, Sen. Scott Renfroe, of Greeley, used biblical references in linking murder and homosexuality during debate on a bill to extend health benefits to the partners of gay and lesbian state workers.[/quote]

Speaking of Renfroe, this is what he said during the debate of that bill:

[quote]“I’m not saying this (homosexuality) is the only sin that’s out there,” said Sen. Scott Renfroe, R-Greeley. “We have murder. We have all sorts of sin. We have adultery. And we don’t make laws making those legal, and we would never think to make murder legal.”[/quote] [url="http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2009/02/24/9115"]http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2009/02/24/9115[/url]

RNC chair Michael Steele speaks on civil unions:

[quote]In response to a question from radio host Mike Gallagher today, RNC chairman Michael Steele took a hard, dismissive line against civil unions -- which have increasingly become a fallback, compromise position for blue-state Republicans and others who oppose same-sex marriage.

Do you favor civil unions?" Gallagher asked:

STEELE: No, no no. What would we do that for? What are you crazy? No. Why would we backslide on a core, founding value of this country. I mean this isn't something that you just kind of like, "Oh well, today I feel, you know, loosey-goosey on marriage." I mean, this is a foundational principle of this country. It is a foundational principle of organized society. It isn't something that, you know, in America we decided, "Let's make it between a man and a woman; oh well now, let's change our mind and make it between anyone and anyone." No.

GALLAGHER: So no room even for a conversation about civil unions, in your mind?

STEELE: What's the difference?

GALLAGHER: Well, you're not calling it marriage.

STEELE: Is it?

GALLAGHER: I don't know. I mean, I... I...

STEELE: I mean, like Sarah Palin said, you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.[/quote][url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0209/Steele_on_civil_unions_Are_you_crazy.html"]http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/020..._you_crazy.html[/url]

Of course Steele is too dumb to realize that Palin never referred to anything as "lipstick on a pig." Obama said the "lipstick on a pig" thing about McCain's policies, and the Republican Fake Outrage Machine cranked up to full gear accusing him of calling Palin a pig, when it's perfectly clear to all of us that Palin is a weasel.

[quote]STEELE: No, no no. What would we do that for? What are you crazy? No. Why would we backslide on a core, founding value of this country. I mean this isn't something that you just kind of like, "Oh well, today I feel, you know, loosey-goosey on marriage." I mean, this is a foundational principle of this country. It is a foundational principle of organized society. It isn't something that, you know, in America we decided, "Let's make it between a man and a woman; oh well now, let's change our mind and make it between anyone and anyone."[/quote]

WTF is he implying that one of the reasons for the Revolution War was that the evil British Empire was trying to make gay marriage legal in the Colonies? I was always taught it was because government was overly oppressing personal freedoms, but then again I only went to Catholic School, not nutso right wing school.

[quote name='Watcher' post='1700886' date='Feb 26 2009, 16.20']WTF is he implying that one of the reasons for the Revolution War was that the evil British Empire was trying to make gay marriage legal in the Colonies? I was always taught it was because government was overly oppressing personal freedoms, but then again I only went to Catholic School, not nutso right wing school.[/quote]

Shame on you for not knowing about the Free Buggery For All Act of 1774! :spank: Everybody knows the British were closet sodomites and deviants, as evidenced by the fact that George III was better known as Gorgeous Georgina!

[quote name='Warlock of Quarth' post='1700897' date='Feb 26 2009, 10.39']Shame on you for not knowing about the Free Buggery For All Act of 1774! :spank: Everybody knows the British were closet sodomites and deviants, as evidenced by the fact that George III was better known as Gorgeous Georgina![/quote]
Yes, the less-publicized but no less important Boston Teabag Party seems to have largely been forgotten. :P

[quote name='Shryke' post='1700597' date='Feb 26 2009, 02.00']The current meme circulating everywhere (both on the internet and on the TV) is that it was the "Kenneth the Page" speech (named after some idiot character on [i]30 Rock[/i][/quote]
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/25/kenneth-the-page-responds_n_170063.html"]Speaking of this meme.[/url]

Archived