Cockblocking

DJDonegal

[quote name='litechick' post='1701904' date='Feb 27 2009, 00.56']Shouldn't this be merged with the "Men see women as objects" thread?[/quote]

Nah, these guys obviously see women as people. People who you can sex if you add enough liquor too.

Lest things get out of hand I think that most of the posts in this thread are from the perspective of the single guy who meets a girl that he digs at a bar, the frustrations that may ensue, and methods for getting around that. This isn't about objectification, this is about trying to get laid. Something that I think we can all relate to. :grouphug: I don't think anyone is advocating getting a girl wasted and then somehow taking advantage of her state. I'm probably the drunker of the two anyway. I felt that introducing myself as John Microsoft was fucking hilarious after about 10 beers. I mean, come on, nobody is seriously going to buy that.

You won't catch me sidling up to some lady and asking, 'hey baby, can I buy you a drink... or ten?' At least not until my mustache grows in, anyway.

[quote name='S John' post='1701935' date='Feb 26 2009, 22.39']I felt that introducing myself as John Microsoft was fucking hilarious after about 10 beers. I mean, come on, nobody is seriously going to buy that.[/quote]
I thought it was fucking hilarious, and I've had 0 beers.

And you make the point that I was too busy being snarky to make (I blame it on Brady): talking about our past misadventure at getting laid does not mean we are objectifying women. If endeavoring to get laid somehow objectifies the opposite sex then we are all, men and women alike, guilty of it.

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1701952' date='Feb 26 2009, 23.03']Do women not have a female equivalent to the cockblocker?[/quote]
I imagine the guardian angel plays that role from their perspective. After all, men aren't the only ones the guardian angel is preventing from getting laid.

It could be worse. We could be bumping Frosty threads nonstop.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1701958' date='Feb 27 2009, 18.12']Sometimes she's also "The Friend who just wants a girl's night and doesn't want her friend running off with some guy and leaving her alone"[/quote]

The same thing can happen with guys as well.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1701957' date='Feb 27 2009, 02.09']I imagine the guardian angel plays that role from their perspective. After all, men aren't the only ones the guardian angel is preventing from getting laid.[/quote]I suppose, but it just sounds odd for a woman to say, "Oh damn! My best friend being a bitch again and angel guarding me from that really hot guy."

My experience girls are much more protective of their friends out of genuine caring. If you friend is drunk and a guy is pawing at her, yeah there is defiantly a huge protective streak that bubbles up in you. Because that guy is looking at you friend like she is a piece of meat, he doesn't care anything about her, and he is lying off his ass. Plus he probably has an uneducated dick, has a venereal disease (not that he is going to use a condom), and will be a total jack rabbit in the sack. Nothing about this is going to be for her benefit. If a guy is trying to get her number more power to him, if he's trying to get her up stairs protectiveness kicks into over drive.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1701975' date='Feb 27 2009, 02.37']My experience girls are much more protective of their friends out of genuine caring. If you friend is drunk and a guy is pawing at her, yeah there is defiantly a huge protective streak that bubbles up in you. Because that guy is looking at you friend like she is a piece of meat, he doesn't care anything about her, and he is lying off his ass. Plus he probably has an uneducated dick, has a venereal disease (not that he is going to use a condom), and will be a total jack rabbit in the sack. Nothing about this is going to be for her benefit. If a guy is trying to get her number more power to him, if he's trying to get her up stairs protectiveness kicks into over drive.[/quote]No you misunderstand my original question. That is a guardian angel, but what about the girl who is chatting it up with a guy because she is [i]pursuing him[/i] as "prey" but is prevented from doing so by the third-party interference of her friend? She's not there to protect her friend, but is just being a conventional "cockblocker" who is ignorantly interfering with her friend's attempts to hook up with the guy. That is my question, what is the female equivalent of the "cockblocker"?

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1701975' date='Feb 27 2009, 07.37']My experience girls are much more protective of their friends out of genuine caring. If you friend is drunk and a guy is pawing at her, yeah there is defiantly a huge protective streak that bubbles up in you. Because that guy is looking at you friend like she is a piece of meat, he doesn't care anything about her, and he is lying off his ass. Plus he probably has an uneducated dick, has a venereal disease (not that he is going to use a condom), and will be a total jack rabbit in the sack. Nothing about this is going to be for her benefit. If a guy is trying to get her number more power to him, if he's trying to get her up stairs protectiveness kicks into over drive.[/quote]
This is it exactly. I'm very often protective of the girls I go out with and it's nothing to do with jealousy. I find drunk guys trying to get me into bed pretty low and disgusting, and the last thing I want to let happen to a friend of mine is to get into a situation where she may feel used afterward.

As for the other question, no idea. I don't think I've ever encountered that situation.

I love cock-blocking. It is one of life's greatest little pleasures. I'll never do it to a friend, though. I'll do it to strangers who look like assholes or have acted like dicks during the night, or I'll do it to people I know, but fucking hate. I have on several occasions successfully blocked a douche-bag and helped a better guy get lucky in stead. I can be quite obvious about it, but I've never had anyone pick a fight over it.

In short: if you're at a party/club with me, don't act like a dick, and I won't cock-block you.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1701995' date='Feb 27 2009, 08.41']This is it exactly. I'm very often protective of the girls I go out with and it's nothing to do with jealousy. I find drunk guys trying to get me into bed pretty low and disgusting, and the last thing I want to let happen to a friend of mine is to get into a situation where she may feel used afterward.[/quote]

Plus, there's also the issue of drink-spiking, or its more socially-acceptable cousin getting-her-drunk-enough (which is basically the same thing) - we girls have to look after our mates, cos there are a lot of evil fucks out there.

The whole concept of cock-blocking pisses me off, actually. What, you think you have a proprietory claim on the girl because you got there first? Fuck off. If you were that great then she'd be talking to you instead of that other guy.

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1701952' date='Feb 27 2009, 02.03']Do women not have a female equivalent to the cockblocker?[/quote]

Oh yes. I don't have a name for her though. But one of my friends - who's married - does this to my other friend - who's single - all the time. Basically, she'll start flirting with the guy that my single friend was into, drags his attention away from single friend for the whole night, and then tells him she's married. I really have no idea why, she could just be drunk, but it [i]looks[/i] like she's got to continually prove to herself that she's hotter than my single friend.

And this will happen multiple times. Over and over as soon as my single friend starts talking to another guy. It's some kind of "I need to know that every guy in the bar wants me even though I'm no longer available thing." My best friend in high school was like this too.

ETA: Apparently, they are both, like, bizarro Balefont.

I'm thinking that should I ever find myself around the two of them again at the same time, I should intervene. Because, after all, I pride myself on being a good wingwoman.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1701949' date='Feb 27 2009, 02.00']I thought it was fucking hilarious, and I've had 0 beers.[/quote]

QFT

This thread delivers. :thumbsup:

ETA: I was already married before I was old enough (technically) to go out to bars. So instead, I'd act as the guy magnet, because I knew I was going home to my husband, I knew I'd have nothing to lose (ego-wise) by chatting it up with the hotties at the bar. My friends were a bit less outgoing, at least in the initial reeling in of potentials, so I'd get the guys into the circle with some conversation. Then, I'd eventually hand them off to my friends.

Archived