World of Warcraft

Fenryng

We did Share the Love last night for someone who still needed it. It was annoying as hell, and yeah, it was 5 fully Naxx-25 geared people. The only way it worked was for us to have a DPS use their awesome offset tanking gear. And even then...ugh. The 'kill' took 6 minutes, and we had to go through 4 different impale cycles. Just hell.

Make it count was surprisingly easy. I'm almost to the point where I don't hate Oculus. Of course, if you bring one bad person chances are you'll fail.

I really wish 3.1 had another 5-man instance. I'm very surprised by how much I miss them, especially hard ones.

It's cool. It was more annoying to deal with people than it was to actually tank it, but I'm glad I did.

Just not fun dealing with the aftermath of doing it without Carrie.

Since I couldn't make it to my guild's Nax25, I ended up pugging for it last night. It was APP-PICK PHA-ALE. Wiped twice on Anub'rekhan. Then people started bailing. Spent an hour replacing people. Downed the first boss. Six people flashed their achievements for first heroic badge. Went on to do Faerilina. Only 1 holy priest, so we tried fighting through enrage. Failed. Then we tried using the priest, who's utterly new to this, and failed. Switched back to burning through enrage, failed. The problem was just shitty people who can't follow orders, like "don't kill the worshippers" or "don't AOE to disrupt the MC" or "Kill skull, then X, then nipple" or "Get out of the boss' AOE." And people still coming to raid 25 with half their gears in blue (yeah, I blame the RL in taking these people, too, but the players really should know that if your DPS is under 1k, you are NOT ready for heroic raid).

We actually wasted 2 pulls because one of the hunters who're supposed to MD one of the worshippers to the OT was on vent, but he was listening to his iPod, and yet, he clicked "ready" on every check. *screams*

We also had two replacement people who signed up even though they were saved. We found out when we tried to warlock summon them.

So, 4.5 hrs for 1 boss, and about 80g repair for me. At least I got a gear upgrade. Feel bad for the other 21 people who didn't get loot on the first boss.

Ugh. Just frustrating.

Turns out our guild's Nax25 is also part fail. Only cleared 1.5 wings in 2 full days. Lots of people who haven't full cleared Nax10 yet. We decided to stop taking people into Nax25 until they have finished their Nax10.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1705072' date='Mar 2 2009, 15.21']It's cool. It was more annoying to deal with people than it was to actually tank it, but I'm glad I did.

Just not fun dealing with the aftermath of doing it without Carrie.[/quote]

Wait, so being the RL and making those decisions sucks? Particularly when you have to bench your wife?

WTF is that like? :P

[quote]And people still coming to raid 25 with half their gears in blue[/quote]

There's nothing especially wrong with this though. Alot of Blues are quite good. For many classes in many slots, Blues are the best in slot outside of Naxx or OS or Malygos.

[quote name='Stego' post='1705083' date='Mar 2 2009, 12.34']Wait, so being the RL and making those decisions sucks? Particularly when you have to bench your wife?

WTF is that like? :P[/quote]It sucks. :P But I don't want your job. :) And now I have to figure out how I can get her in to do Sarth3D 10 man, and ugh. The 3/3/4 with melee looks very promising.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1705087' date='Mar 2 2009, 15.36']There's nothing especially wrong with this though. Alot of Blues are quite good. For many classes in many slots, Blues are the best in slot outside of Naxx or OS or Malygos.[/quote]

I think the added detail where some of those people in blues were pulling under 1000 DPS is the significant one. Even in blues without supreme knowledge of your class you should be able to get 1500 if you want to hit up raids. I feel sorry for anyone who can't even reach that point - and even more sorry for the people stuck raiding with those clowns, heh.

So I'd been kind of worried about raid DPS as we approached Patchwerk, as you may recall from the last thread. Granted, it's only 10 man Patchwerk, but I was still expecting to fail. We one-shotted him with 90 seconds to spare. Previously, I'd never seen anyone in the guild (except one person) above 2500 DPS and for Patchwerk we had 4 people above that point, and the fifth hovering at about 2200 (this was the crappy mage who I'm surprised made it that high). So that was great. Then people failed on Grobbulus, but it was the first time 80% of the raid had ever seen him so that wasn't too shocking.

I was also happy with our 4-shot of Four Horsemen the first time seeing them. Wipe one was caused by one dumb fuck ranged tank standing in a void zone. Wipe two, the same dumb fuck didn't switch at three marks, meaning Sir Z wiped us with his AOE. Wipe three, one of our tanks (a pally) thought Righteous Defense would be a good idea while transitioning. Then they died. Maybe next week we can punch past Grobbulus and then start failing on Gluth (I can tell now that getting someone who can manage to kite the zombie chow is going to be difficult).

Oh, I agree about that. I just wanted to point out that new Raiders are pretty much gonna come in half-blues. But they should still be able to put out 2K+ DPS easily. Especially in a 25-man raid. It's not a matter of the gear, it's the players.

Hell, my DK's DPS set is half-purple, half-blue and I can drop 22k-23k DPS on a fight like 25man Archavon. And that's with a pure tank spec (or as pure a tank spec as a DK ever gets)

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1705014' date='Mar 2 2009, 14.33']I really wish 3.1 had another 5-man instance. I'm very surprised by how much I miss them, especially hard ones.[/quote]

Agreed. I like 5-mans.

Especially as there's so few people in my guild and circle of friends, but mostly I just enjoy them. The 1-day lockout is nice as well; makes it much easier to push hard to get some item that you want.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1705104' date='Mar 2 2009, 14.54']Hell, my DK's DPS set is half-purple, half-blue and I can drop [b]22k-23k DPS[/b] on a fight like 25man Archavon. And that's with a pure tank spec (or as pure a tank spec as a DK ever gets)[/quote]

Holy crap! nerf DK's!

or buy a decimal point. :P

Well, I'm a gear snob then.

Some of the blue pieces are good for some slots, sure, but I don't buy that half of them are good until you get the Heroic raid quality drops. The heroic dungeon purples and the 10-man raid purples are pretty decent for most things.

But like I said, I blame the Raid Lead just as much for taking these people. They should have been rejected at the door, PUG or no PUG.

Sorry Terra, but that's an outmoded and honestly wrong way of thinking about things. You don't need the best in slot heroic gear to step into Naxx, much less succeed there. Progression is no longer normal 80s->heroics->10 man->25 man. It's simply normal 80s->everything else.

If they suck, they suck, but they'd suck with purples as much as they'd suck with greens.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1705321' date='Mar 2 2009, 17.45']If they suck, they suck, but they'd suck with purples as much as they'd suck with greens.[/quote]

Fair enough.

I still go with that rule of thumb as a measure of how much effort someone has put into the game. Not a perfect yardstick, but a good one. Just like you don't need to have enchants on your items to do well, having them show that you're paying attention and you're taking steps other than expecting to be carried through raids to snatch up gears.

Guest thebadlady
Stegho, does Ezrie play anymore? I miss playing with her. :/

Felhoof. I am Darksister and you returned my peace offering. You are dead to me now.

:lol:

I agree with Terra to an extent. And there is a difference between having good or best in slot blues than some random quest blue as well for Naxx.

But I do agree with "if they suck, they suck." The problem I find in trying to pug for Naxx is that we often get people who are terrible and probably cant get a spot in their own guild's raid. Not always true at all, we've made some wonderful talented friends that way too, but we do get our fair share of mouth breathers.

The thing is TP, for many slots, their ARE no Purples available without Raiding.

As a DPS DK, for instance, their are no purple bracers that are worth upgrading too till, basically, 25-Man Naxx. Vengeance Bindings, a crafted blue wrist you can equip at lvl 78, is the best DPS wrist till Naxx.

It goes the same for many tank stuff too and alot of other classes on top of that.

Hell, my DK has the best in slot non-raid equipment for both Tanking and DPS and I'm in half blues. Any purples, if they even exist, are side-grades at best.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1705352' date='Mar 2 2009, 16.08']Stegho, does Ezrie play anymore? I miss playing with her. :/

Felhoof. I am Darksister and you returned my peace offering. You are dead to me now.

:lol:[/quote]I knew it was you - I just don't need those foods. I did that a while ago. :P

Archived