The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm up for any suggestions of Common.css changes and such. Also, I got the SVG library thing installed but not sure if that did the trick that was wanted.

I've made the Template:Sandbox.. The idea works, the specific template I was trying to build didn't.. Perhaps another try tomorrow :)

A few ideas for the mobile.css changes:

• Automatic text align on the pages. I read somewhere that the percentage of users of the regular wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org) is quite high, and I suppose that it is not that much different for wiki's like this one, so if the text could automatically align to the left instead of in the center, that would very much improve reading functionality on both mobile and devices using mobile view (e.g. tablets).
  • Having the family trees and navboxes collapsible on mobile view just as they are on desktop view

I'm not all that well-known with wiki-codes, so this is just a suggestion. But is it in any way possible that the solution is adding the .css codes for these issues found on the commons.css page (I suppose that is where they are being set), and placing them on the MediaWiki:Mobile.css page? I suppose that those settings have been made for the desktop view somewhere, right?

On 25-7-2016 at 10:59 PM, Ran said:

I'm up for any suggestions of Common.css changes and such. Also, I got the SVG library thing installed but not sure if that did the trick that was wanted.

Ok, a first test, but perhaps this code will allow tables to collapse in mobile view? On MediaWiki:Mobile.css

I've been searching for a solution for the text alignment thing now for a few weeks, but I have not yet been able to find anything. All I've discovered is that adding

<div style="text-align: left;"> 

followed by the text and closed off by 

</div>

aligns the text to the left, as would be preferable. However, what kind of coding needs to be added to it in order to have it work on all pages, is still beyond me. Is there anything comparable (background colour, perhaps the spoiler message you placed back in 2014 for TWOIAF spoilers that was visible on every page?) that you've encountered in the past that might help figure out how to finish the code?

I did find a nice tutorial page, where you can test coding. By placing

body {
    text-align: left;
}

the tester allows me to align text to the left. (Comparable, changing "left" into "center", aligns the text in the center, and changing it into "right" to the right, which I feel worth mentioning as the default in the tester is aligning text to the left). The tester does, however, require you add <body> before your text, and </body>  after your text, so I'm not sure if this is the solution. (perhaps it should become .body or something?)

Does anyone else have any experience with or insights on this? @Abjiklam perhaps/?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Gonzalo said:

Ser Wilbert is some knight from Stoney Sept or is he the Knight of Stoney Sept?

I think that the fact that Ser Wilbert is able to give a decree concerning executions suggest that he is the one who holds the authority over the Stoney Sept. However, that doesn't necessarily make him the Knight of Stoney Sept.. He could be the Knight of another holding, who holds authority over the Stoney Sept too, right?

Almost all mentions of pyromancers so far have concerned the wisdoms of the Alchemists' Guild in King's Landing, but Gonzalo pointed out that there are pyromancers in Asshai. Dany also sees a firemage in Qarth (who manipulates orange flame, not green wildfire). Should we have a separate article for pyromancers, which currently redirects to Alchemists Guild?

@Ran, there is content from The Forsaken in the Euron Greyjoy and Valyrian steel articles. Since GRRM has not released that chapter on his website or in the app yet, would you prefer the info be removed at this time? Alternatively, would you like us to create a summary for  "The Forsaken", similar to the other TWOW preview chapters? I think the chapter was used to help arrange the Greyjoy family for the timeline project.

Also, "Jon Umber" is currently a disambiguation page which links to "Jon Umber (Greatjon)", "Jon Umber (Smalljon)", and "Jon Umber (husband of Serena)". With the Stark and Targaryen titling system in mind, would it be better to move the Greatjon (the primary Jon Umber for ASOIAF) to "Jon Umber" and move the Smalljon to "Jon Umber (son of Jon)"?

On 18-8-2016 at 10:36 PM, Nittanian said:

@Ran, there is content from The Forsaken in the Euron Greyjoy and Valyrian steel articles. Since GRRM has not released that chapter on his website or in the app yet, would you prefer the info be removed at this time?

I thought we agreed to use the notes from the reading only?

On 18-8-2016 at 10:36 PM, Nittanian said:

I think the chapter was used to help arrange the Greyjoy family for the timeline project.

No. The Forsaken was not used for any of the Greyjoy brothers :)

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I thought we agreed to use the notes from the reading only?

No. The Forsaken was not used for any of the Greyjoy brothers :)

Ah, just wanted to clarify what is and is not permitted. Also, the TWOW disclaimer template should be added to the articles making use of the reading notes.

Hello,

I am quite new to this forum but I have been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire for quite some time. My hobby is movie making and recently I have been working on creating videos based on the articles from awoiaf articles. Here is the video about Asshai - it is 100% based on awoiaf article:

So, I thought that maybe it would be great if I could somehow contribute to awoiaf by proposing you to add this video to an article if you consider this to be useful for enrichment of awoif. My reasoning why awoiaf could benefit from it is obvious - people nowadays sometimes enjoy consuming content through watching and listening more than reading. So, for a visitor having an option in the article to watch a video with nice pictures and voice speaking the words from the article could be a very pleasant and nice surprise. 

Tell me please whay you think.

Thanks,

serojja

Edited by serojja

21 hours ago, serojja said:

Hello,

I am quite new to this forum but I have been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire for quite some time. My hobby is movie making and recently I have been working on creating videos based on the articles from awoiaf articles. Here is the video about Asshai - it is 100% based on awoiaf article:

So, I thought that maybe it would be great if I could somehow contribute to awoiaf by proposing you to add this video to an article if you consider this to be useful for enrichment of awoif. My reasoning why awoiaf could benefit from it is obvious - people nowadays sometimes enjoy consuming content through watching and listening more than reading. So, for a visitor having an option in the article to watch a video with nice pictures and voice speaking the words from the article could be a very pleasant and nice surprise. 

Tell me please whay you think.

Thanks,

serojja

As much as I personally prefer reading at my own pace to listening to people read things to me, I think this is a neat idea. But how hard is it for you to correct a mistake on a video like that? Despite our best efforts false info and assumptions do sometimes make it onto the wiki. While it's easy to edit the text I'd imagine correcting something like that in a video would be harder, and we'd be totally reliant on you personally to do so. 

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

As much as I personally prefer reading at my own pace to listening to people read things to me, I think this is a neat idea. But how hard is it for you to correct a mistake on a video like that? Despite our best efforts false info and assumptions do sometimes make it onto the wiki. While it's easy to edit the text I'd imagine correcting something like that in a video would be harder, and we'd be totally reliant on you personally to do so. 

Well, it is true - changing content in the video is much more problematic than to do it in the text: you would have to re-record the voice, re-edit the video, re-render it and re-upload it to replace the old version.

The common practice for correcting video mistakes on Youtube though is to add textual overlay with proper words in the moment the mistaken text is spoken - such correction is rather easy to do and I could do it if it is really required to have a specific relevant content in the video. 

Another thing which can be done in order not to confuse reader/viewer with potential outdated information is to state clearly in video description that this video is composed on a specific date so the video is of a particular revision and "the text in the article might containt more information about this particular topic". It seems to me, this approach is much safer from "production" point of view. 

With the addition of The Forsaken to the chapter list for The Winds of Winter, should the other chapters we know about (i.e. Tyrion I, Barristan II, and Victarion I) be added as well? And a prologue (as we know there will be a prologue)? Those chapters don't have a summary, but I don't think that that is a problem, right?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Also, the Green Ronin RPG offers a table stating how many silver stags a golden dragon is worth, how many pennies a silver stag is worth, etc. They even mention a coin called "silver moon", which I can't even find a mention on in the books.

So, do we use this info? Or do we delete it from the wiki completely, as it is published only by Green Ronin, with no indication given in any of the books?