The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

@Ran,

Two  questions for the errata.

1. Which is the correct (i.e. canon) spelling? Urragon Goodbrother (as stated in ADWD) or Urrathon Goodbrother (as stated in TWOIAF)?
  2. Which is the correct spelling? Harlan Tyrell (as stated in TWOIAF), or Harlen Tyrell (as stated in the appendices of AGOT, AFFC, and ADWD)?

On 7-11-2017 at 4:41 PM, zionius said:

I have collected quite a few. Listed fixed errors in AKotSK & TWoIaF are complete, as they are found with auto comparison of texts. Typos are excluded.

Thank you very much for this list! Very useful!

A World of Ice and Fire app said Jon Arryn "fought for King Jaehaerys II in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, and, as a result of the alliances made in that war, came to foster Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon." under Jon Arryn, which neatly solves the puzzle of the fosterage of Ned & Robert. Maybe we can merge it into the wiki pages for Jon Arryn, Steffon, Rickard and the War. Rickard might fought in the War as well. 

15 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Thank you very much for this list! Very useful!

I made an easier-to-read post with a few additional info. Expecting your awesome errata! There're hundreds of fixed typos in the books (misspell of names excluded). Most of them are punctuation and something like "halfhelm <-> half-helm <-> half helm", really boring. I can send you the original diff files if you still want them...

The weird thing is, when I compare the Bantam kindle version of traditional cover to HBO cover, their typos intersect! That's to say, two different  editor groups worked independently to fix the errors in the books, so errors fixed in one version remain unfixed in the other, and vice versa...

Edited by zionius

8 hours ago, Ckram said:

Family tree on Serena Stark indicates Osric Umber and Arrana Stark as ancestors of House Cerwyn and Robard Cerwyn and Aregelle Stark as ancestors of House Umber.

Related entries repeat the mistake.

Family tree on House Stark is fine, though.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen I think you tried to fix this problem because i saw your changes to the Stark family tree, but it did not work because the pages do not use the whole tree as in {{stark full tree}} but instead use {{cregan stark tree}} i myself do not know how to fix this so i am hoping you do.

PS the stark tree also says that House Arryn descends from Ronnel and Torrhens daughter but they do not because they where killed by Ronnels brother and the house Arryn descends from a cousin of Ronnel with no bloodrelation to house Stark.

Edited by direpupy

11 minutes ago, direpupy said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen I think you tried to fix this problem because i saw your changes to the Stark family tree, but it did not work because the pages do not use the whole tree as in {{stark full tree}} but instead use {{cregan stark tree}} i myself do not know how to fix this so i am hoping you do.

PS the stark tree also says that House Arryn descends from Ronnel and Torrhens daughter but they do not because they where killed by Ronnels brother and the house Arryn descends from a cousin of Ronnel with no bloodrelation to house Stark.

Both should be fixed now :)

45 minutes ago, zionius said:

A World of Ice and Fire app said Jon Arryn "fought for King Jaehaerys II in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, and, as a result of the alliances made in that war, came to foster Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon." under Jon Arryn, which neatly solves the puzzle of the fosterage of Ned & Robert. Maybe we can merge it into the wiki pages for Jon Arryn, Steffon, Rickard and the War. Rickard might fought in the War as well. 

Will add!

I made an easier-to-read post with a few additional info. Expecting your awesome errata! There're hundreds of fixed typos in the books (misspell of names excluded). Most of them are punctuation and something like "halfhelm <-> half-helm <-> half helm", really boring. I can send you the original diff files if you still want them...

Thanks! Very useful lists! :)  I think the errata will be finished sometime this week. After that, I think it is a good idea to create a thread so people can continue adding to it when they come across something. I've searched on numerous threads and sites, but there might always be some that I missed.

I suppose the punctuation differences could be useful too, if they can cause a difference in the interpretation of a sentence?

The weird thing is, when I compare the Bantam kindle version of traditional cover to HBO cover, their typos intersect! That's to say, two different  editor groups worked independently to fix the errors in the books, so errors fixed in one version remain unfixed in the other, and vice versa...

Wow, that's not very useful.. :D 

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I suppose the punctuation differences could be useful too, if they can cause a difference in the interpretation of a sentence?

I have gone over all the differences between the kindle versions I mentioned. All nontrivial mistakes I found are listed in my reddit post. 

Most punctuation differences are something like , <-> . and a missing quotation mark at the end of a conversation.

Now that I remember, there are two or three cases of ! <->? , which might be somewhat nontrivial. For instance:

AGOT.3 v3.1_r2: “Home!” He kept his voice low, but she could hear the fury in his tone.

AGOT.3 v3.1_r17: “Home?” He kept his voice low, but she could hear the fury in his tone.

But in fact, v3.1_r17 contain 500 or so more typos than v3.1_r2, really weird. I almost suspect the texts in v3.1_r17 was from OCR. In one case they mistake something like Dorne for Dome...

The mistakes fixed in v3.1_r17 are "The lion's dead" , Jeyne Westerling's hips, and a third one I missed in the reddit post.

AFFC.17 v3.1r2

“Might we discuss the fleet?” asked Aurane Waters. “Fewer than a dozen of our ships survived the inferno on the Blackwater. We must needs restore our strength at sea.”
Merryweather nodded. “Strength at sea is most essential.”
“Could we make use of the ironmen?” asked Orton Merryweather. “The enemy of our enemy? What would the Seastone Chair want of us as the price of an alliance?”

AFFC.17 v3.1r17

“Might we discuss the fleet?” asked Aurane Waters. “Fewer than a dozen of our ships survived the inferno on the Blackwater. We must needs restore our strength at sea.”
Harys Swyft nodded. “Strength at sea is most essential.”
“Could we make use of the ironmen?” asked Orton Merryweather. “The enemy of our enemy? What would the Seastone Chair want of us as the price of an alliance?”

And some trivia:

GRRM misspelled Valar Morghulis for Valor Morghulis in one book, just as in this chat in 2002.

GRRM misspelled colossal for collossal twice.

Edited by zionius

17 hours ago, Ran said:

1) Urragon. That one should have been fixed ages ago...

Correction on this. Something about this niggled at me and I checked through my e-mails again, and see the reason it wasn't fixed is that there was a notion of perhaps adjusting ADwD instead of TWoIaF. I don't know the status of that.

I was doing a research on runes and I notice runes' entry is missing info as such:

1. Rattleshirt affirms to cast runes carved in dead man's teeth (ACOK, Jon VIII);
  2. Tormund has armbands graven with runes (ASOS, Jon I; ADWD, Jon XI and XII);
  3. Horn of Joramun's runes seemed to briefly shimmer in the air while the horn was afire (ADWD, Jon III).
  4. The exact meaning of the runes of the First Men is disputed at the Citadel to this day (TWOIAF: The Riverlands).
  5. House Royce of Runestone's sigil bears runes too (The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Vale; TWOIAF: The Vale);
  6. The crown of the Bronze Kings is called "The Runic Crown" (TWOIAF: The Vale);
  7. The lid of the sepulcher of King Tristifer IV Mudd in Oldstones was carved depicting the King with the hands folding over the shaft of a stone warhammer carved with the runes that told its name and history, but the runes have been worn away (ASOS, Catelyn V);
  8. Runes indicate "Thousand Year War" were probably two hundred years of conflict in separate wars, rather than a single war lasting a thousand years (TWOIAF: Kings of Winter);
  9. In the morning of the day Jorah and Tyrion met the Widow of the Waterfront she had received, among other gifts, an ancient bronze dagger marked with runes (ADWD, Tyrion VII);
  10. There are stone monuments in the barrow fields and elsewhere marked with First Men's runes (TWOIAF - Ancient History: The Age of Heroes );
  11. Only the names of a few legendary kings and heroes of the Riverlands are recorded on weathered stones in runes (TWOIAF: The Riverlands);
  12. Since the Ironmen were illiterate most of the things that are known about them came from runes of the First Men they attacked (TWOIAF - The Iron Islands);
  13. "In the stormlands oft as not the First Men carved the tales [...] into the trunks of trees, long since rotted away", supposedly in form of runes (TWOIAF - The Stormlands: House Durrandon);
  14. The oldest runic records confirm that men have lived at the mouth of the Honeywine since the Dawn Age (TWOIAF: The Reach: Oldtown );
  15. Runic records tell of the crossing of Arm of Dorne by the First Men (TWOIAF - Dorne: The Breaking);

And this seemed to need correction:

1. The written form of the Old Tongue and the runes are different writing systems ("[...] written in the Old Tongue and the runes of the First Men" - TWOIAF - The Iron Islands)

Edited by Ckram

On 21-11-2017 at 8:17 AM, Ckram said:

I was doing a research on runes and I notice runes' entry is missing info as such:

1. Rattleshirt affirms to cast runes carved in dead man's teeth (ACOK, Jon VIII);
  2. Tormund has armbands graven with runes (ASOS, Jon I; ADWD, Jon XI and XII);
  3. Horn of Joramun's runes seemed to briefly shimmer in the air while the horn was afire (ADWD, Jon III).
  4. The exact meaning of the runes of the First Men is disputed at the Citadel to this day (TWOIAF: The Riverlands).
  5. House Royce of Runestone's sigil bears runes too (The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Vale; TWOIAF: The Vale);
  6. The crown of the Bronze Kings is called "The Runic Crown" (TWOIAF: The Vale);
  7. The lid of the sepulcher of King Tristifer IV Mudd in Oldstones was carved depicting the King with the hands folding over the shaft of a stone warhammer carved with the runes that told its name and history, but the runes have been worn away (ASOS, Catelyn V);
  8. Runes indicate "Thousand Year War" were probably two hundred years of conflict in separate wars, rather than a single war lasting a thousand years (TWOIAF: Kings of Winter);
  9. In the morning of the day Jorah and Tyrion met the Widow of the Waterfront she had received, among other gifts, an ancient bronze dagger marked with runes (ADWD, Tyrion VII);
  10. There are stone monuments in the barrow fields and elsewhere marked with First Men's runes (TWOIAF - Ancient History: The Age of Heroes );
  11. Only the names of a few legendary kings and heroes of the Riverlands are recorded on weathered stones in runes (TWOIAF: The Riverlands);
  12. Since the Ironmen were illiterate most of the things that are known about them came from runes of the First Men they attacked (TWOIAF - The Iron Islands);
  13. "In the stormlands oft as not the First Men carved the tales [...] into the trunks of trees, long since rotted away", supposedly in form of runes (TWOIAF - The Stormlands: House Durrandon);
  14. The oldest runic records confirm that men have lived at the mouth of the Honeywine since the Dawn Age (TWOIAF: The Reach: Oldtown );
  15. Runic records tell of the crossing of Arm of Dorne by the First Men (TWOIAF - Dorne: The Breaking);

And this seemed to need correction:

1. The written form of the Old Tongue and the runes are different writing systems ("[...] written in the Old Tongue and the runes of the First Men" - TWOIAF - The Iron Islands)

Page has been updated ! :) 

I've posted the errata pages! Feedback would be very much appreciated.

On 28-6-2017 at 11:36 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

@Ran,

I might have found a solution to the text-align display on the mobile view of the wiki. The code that I think should be added to the css on MediaWiki:Mobile.css is

body {
  text-align: left
}

If I'm correct, than this should cause all text on the wiki to align to the left by default (and only not do so when specified in the template/text of choice). Now, the wiki in browser-view already aligns text to the left by default, but the mobile view aligns all text in the center, decreasing readability. Since wiki's are often viewed on mobile, maybe we can give this addition to the mobile css a try?

I admit that coding is not my area of expertise, but a test on http://www.cssdesk.com/ was rather promising. If there's a way to test the effect of adding a css coding to the mobile site without having it take effect for every visitor, that might be best, but otherwise, I suppose, it should be rather easy to see whether or not the coding works (and if it doesn't work, it won't be difficult to remove it again).

Ran, have you had a chance to try this?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

47 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Are we free to add more errata if we're aware of them? For example, in AGOT, Gared (who has spent 40 years in the Night's Watch) says he's seen two winters, the previous one and the one before that, when he was "half a boy"; whereas Tyrion says he's seen "eight or nine" winters even though he's 25 years old and there's just been a 9-year summer -- so neither man's statement can possibly be correct. (Even though nobody they're talking to contradicts them.) Or would that fall under the unreliable narrator rule?

Edited by Mindset

9 minutes ago, Mindset said:

Are we free to add more errata if we're aware of them? For example, in AGOT, Gared (who has spent 40 years in the Night's Watch) says he's seen two winters, the previous one and the one before that, when he was "half a boy"; whereas Tyrion says he's seen "eight or nine" winters even though he's 25 years old and there's just been a 9-year summer -- so neither man's statement can possibly be correct. (Even though nobody they're talking to contradicts them.) Or would that fall under the unreliable narrator rule?

Of course! :)

IMO, your example does not fall under unreliable narrator, but a contradiction in the amount of winters there have been. So that one certainly can be added.

57 minutes ago, Ran said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen 

Just tried it and it seems to make no difference on the position of the text in the mobile skin. I suspect something is over-riding that.

There's a div with an inline style of text-align: center containing all the content. Not sure why, it may be default to the mediawiki mobile skin. To fix, you need to use this code in the mobile CSS:

div { text-align: left !important; }

The !important is important. ;) Also, setting it to apply to div and not body will let the things that are supposed to be centered -- images, text in the table cells of family trees, etc -- stay centered.

7 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Absolutely awesome!

To add a few tinybits:

• The Merryweather -> Harys Swyft thing. It is plain that the trivial remark and nod was from Harys Swyft.
  • ASOS, "Ser Ryman Frey refers to his grandfather, Lord Walder Frey, as his father" might not be a mistake. Many Frey called Lord Walder "father", as discussed here. Moreover, Ryman might hinted "my father Stevron awaits you in grave." Just as "mayhaps" and "your uncle’s bloody wedding", another foreshadow for the Red Wedding... 
  • TWOIAF, The Targaryen Kings, "princesses Rhaena and Baela" was fixed in later versions.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen 

Just tried it and it seems to make no difference on the position of the text in the mobile skin. I suspect something is over-riding that.

Darn.. But thank you for trying! Perhaps @Mindset's suggestion?

9 hours ago, Mindset said:

There's a div with an inline style of text-align: center containing all the content. Not sure why, it may be default to the mediawiki mobile skin. To fix, you need to use this code in the mobile CSS:

div { text-align: left !important; }

The !important is important. ;) Also, setting it to apply to div and not body will let the things that are supposed to be centered -- images, text in the table cells of family trees, etc -- stay centered.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, zionius said:

Absolutely awesome!

To add a few tinybits:

• The Merryweather -> Harys Swyft thing. It is plain that the trivial remark and nod was from Harys Swyft.
  • ASOS, "Ser Ryman Frey refers to his grandfather, Lord Walder Frey, as his father" might not be a mistake. Many Frey called Lord Walder "father", as discussed here. Moreover, Ryman might hinted "my father Stevron awaits you in grave." Just as "mayhaps" and "your uncle’s bloody wedding", another foreshadow for the Red Wedding... 
  • TWOIAF, The Targaryen Kings, "princesses Rhaena and Baela" was fixed in later versions.

Will add these.

for the errata:

Beric Dondarrion is listed in the ADWD appendix as Lord of BLACKWATER (should be Blackhaven)

Lesser so, In ASOS, Tywin is already aware of Catelyn's demise when he speaks about her in the present tense with Jaime

“Who did this? If Lady Catelyn thinks—”

Davos in ASOS. Raping WINDOWS (instead of widows) :o

Axell proposes we swoop down on the homes they left behind, to rape their windows and put their children to the sword. These smallfolk are no traitors . . .”

Edited by Cubicz