The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

I found this on errata page

Ser Ryman Frey refers to his grandfather, Lord Walder Frey, as his father when Robb Stark arrives at the Twins for Edmure Tully's wedding.[61]However, this might not necessarily be a mistake, as Robb refers to Walder as Ryman's father as well,[61] while Ser Walder Rivers, Walder's bastard son, refers to him as his "father" (correctly) and "grandfather" (incorrectly) in the same conversation.[62] 

It is possible that Ryman in subtle way said to Robb that his going to die.

10 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I found this on errata page

Ser Ryman Frey refers to his grandfather, Lord Walder Frey, as his father when Robb Stark arrives at the Twins for Edmure Tully's wedding.[61]However, this might not necessarily be a mistake, as Robb refers to Walder as Ryman's father as well,[61] while Ser Walder Rivers, Walder's bastard son, refers to him as his "father" (correctly) and "grandfather" (incorrectly) in the same conversation.[62] 

It is possible that Ryman in subtle way said to Robb that his going to die.

Yes, the issue was discussed before:

10 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Awesome!

Did you see my suggestions for the Dance by any chance?

On 27-2-2018 at 11:04 PM, The Grey Wolf said:

In TWOIAF it says that the Greens captured Rosby and Stokeworth before taking Duskendale, which might be worth its own entry. 

You mean this passage?

While this took place, Ser Criston Cole decided to punish the "black lords"—those bannermen of the crownlands who remained loyal to Rhaenyra. Rosby, Stokeworth, and Duskendale fell before him, but at Rook's Rest, Lord Staunton had already received word of Cole's arrival.

That's the only thing I could find in TWOIAF. 

The entries would contain minimal information.. But so does the sack of Duskendale entry, so if there are no objections, I'll make a page for Rosby and Stokeworth.

On 27-2-2018 at 11:04 PM, The Grey Wolf said:

Also, TPATQ implies that the Battle of the Burning Mill and the Taking of Stone Hedge were two separate defeats but I could be wrong.

TWOIAF lists the defeat at Stone Hedge as being part of the Battle of the Burning Mill:

BATTLE OF THE BURNING MILL, where Prince Daemon and the Blackwoods defeated the Brackens and took the Stone Hedge.

9 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

TWOIAF lists the defeat at Stone Hedge as being part of the Battle of the Burning Mill:

BATTLE OF THE BURNING MILL, where Prince Daemon and the Blackwoods defeated the Brackens and took the Stone Hedge.

TPATQ claims they were two separate defeats, which contradicts TWOIAF, hence why I said I wasn't sure of it.

For the errata:

Ned's favorite horse was saddled and waiting in the yard. Varly and Jacks fell in beside him as he rode through the yard. Their steel caps and shirts of mail must have been sweltering, yet they said no word of complaint. As Lord Eddard passed beneath the King's Gate into the stink of the city, his grey and white cloak streaming from his shoulders, he saw eyes everywhere and kicked his mount into a trot. His guard followed.
The Street of Steel began at the market square beside the River Gate, as it was named on maps, or the Mud Gate, as it was commonly called. 

--aGoT 27, Ned VI

Ned's route: Tower of the Hand -> King's gate -> outside Red Keep -> River Gate -> Street of Steel -> Tobho Mott.
King's gate should change to southwest gate of the Red Keep.

Edited by zionius

Would it be an idea to split the article Battle of Castle Black into a separate article for Styr's assault and a separate article for Mance's attack from the north and Stannis's rescue?

The struggle north of the Wall has been referred to four times as the "battle beneath the Wall", once as the "battle for the Wall" (Jon XI) and once as the "battle by the Wall" (Melisandre I).

Styr's assault on Castle Black might best be called "Attack on Castle Black", as Jon says upon his arrival at CB "The gate is here. The attack is here.". We also have "If the Magnar takes Castle Black unawares, it will be red slaughter, boys butchered in their beds before they know they are under attack." (ASOS Jon V), and "The hope was that the Thenns would see them from afar and decide that Castle Black was too well defended to attack." (ASOS Jon VII), "The Magnar of Thenn had put the empty village to the torch when he passed through on his way to attack Castle Black, [...]" and "Sigorn's father, the old Magnar, had been crushed beneath the falling stair during his attack on Castle Black.", both from ADWD Jon V.

Frey Pies Theory was confirmed by GRRM in SSM at 01:10:30.

I like subtlety, I like ambiguity, I like leaving things that my readers need to figure out, and some of them will find it, and some of them maybe won't find it and then they'll be discussing it with each other...
If we get to Dance with Dragons, the...the...the pies that Lord Manderly serves to the occupiers of Winterfell, that's...Not everybody gets that in the books.

Edited by zionius

Little and less need be said of Quellon Greyjoy's final voyage. In the histories of Robert's Rebellion, it is no more than an afterthought, a sad and bloody business that had no impact upon the final outcome of the war. The ironborn sank some fishing boats and captured a few fat merchantmen, burned some villages and sacked a few small towns. But at the mouth of the Mander, they met unexpected resistance from the Shield Islanders, who sallied forth in their own longships to give battle. A dozen ships were seized or sunk in the fight that followed, and though the ironborn gave worse than they got, amongst their dead was Lord Quellon Greyjoy.

That sounds like a Pyrrhic victory to me. 

When possible, categories should display the topic's main article first, done by sorting that article with a space key (for example, [[House Stark| ]]). This is in accordance with Wikipedia's WP:SORTKEY:

The main article/s of a category, if existent, should get sorted with a space as key so that it/they appear at the very top of the category. Example: [[Category:Example| ]] Those articles are typically homonymous or at least synonymous to their category. Furthermore other general articles that are highly relevant to the category should be sorted with an asterisk as key so that they also appear at the top of a category but beneath the main article/s. Example: [[Category:Example|*]] Those articles are typically called "History of example", "Types of example", "List of example" or similar.

However, some recent edits have been removing that space from categorization, so the spaces should be restored.

Also, the {{references}} templates can display content in multiple columns. Recent edits have been defaulting it to a single column by use of {{references}} instead of {{references|2}}, however. While this is not a big deal for short articles with only a few sources, larger articles can appear unwieldy with a single column.

1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

Also, the {{references}} templates can display content in multiple columns. Recent edits have been defaulting it to a single column by use of {{references}} instead of {{references|2}}, however. While this is not a big deal for short articles with only a few sources, larger articles can appear unwieldy with a single column.

I've been restoring this for articles that are larger and thus have more references, I was wondering whether it would be possible to force even such articles to appear with a single column of references while in mobile view. In mobile view (about half of the readers of wikipedia reads the site on mobile, so I suppose that about half of the readers of the wiki do so on mobile as well) two columns (or more) looks very disorganized and makes the reference list much harder to read.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

@Ran, a strange error has been occurring for me on the wiki for a while now, so I figured I should mention it here. When I type in the search box of the wiki on the top of the page, and I click on one of the suggestions it gives me whilst typing, I am redirected to the previous page I was on (even if this is a completely different site). This only happens on Google Chrome on mobile, not on laptop, and while it does not make using the wiki impossible (I just have to type the entire page name manually), it is a rather annoying error. When I type the entire page name manually, I'm redirected to the correct page.