The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

First real news posts coming out for the Fire and Blood Volume 1 release date:  

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/03/22/george-r-r-martin-s-fire-and-blood-german-cover-and-release-date-revealed/

Germany actually seems early November.

...Unsubstantiated websites list the UK release as early October.  Can @Ran verify what is currently known or not known? (via a Tweet announcement or something).

There was a time moratorium on the wiki being updated with prequel novella info when each was released, and AWOIAF.  

As the release date draws nigh, going to need to clarify when the moratorium will end on the wiki for FoBV1.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Eastercon_Interview

I like subtlety, I like ambiguity, I like leaving things that my readers need to figure out, and some of them will find it, and some of them maybe won't find it and then they'll be discussing it with each other...

If we get to Dance with Dragons, the...the...the pies that Lord Manderly serves to the occupiers of Winterfell, that's...Not everybody gets that in the books.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

What is the source for the statement that House Rambton is sworn to House Sunglass?

Good catch. The Rambtons are pious like Guncer Sunglass, but ACOK and ASOS don't state that Hubard is Guncer's vassal. The ACOK appendix includes Hubard in Stannis's bannermen and sword swords. @Ran's heraldry at The Citadel has the Rambtons in the King's Landing grouping; maybe the Rambtons are from the mainland but Hubard's family serves Stannis?

Might it be better to move "Andal invasion" (phrasing which I haven't found in the books) to "coming of the Andals", "crossing of the Andals", or "arrival of the Andals"?

"Now these were the days before the Andals came, and long before the women fled across the narrow sea from the cities of the Rhoyne, and the hundred kingdoms of those times were the kingdoms of the First Men, who had taken these lands from the children of the forest." (AGOT Bran IV)

"When the Andals crossed the narrow sea and swept away the kingdoms of the First Men, the sons of the fallen kings held true to their vows and remained at their posts." (AGOT Jon VIII)

"The Andals were the first, a race of tall, fair-haired warriors who came with steel and fire and the seven-pointed star of the new gods painted on their chests." (AGOT Bran VII)

"With Tristifer the Fifth died House Mudd, that had ruled the riverlands for a thousand years before the Andals came." (ASOS Catelyn V)

Ser Osmund Kettleblack brought Clegane his shield, a massive thing of heavy oak rimmed in black iron. As the Mountain slid his left arm through the straps, Tyrion saw that the hounds of Clegane had been painted over. This morning Ser Gregor bore the seven-pointed star the Andals had brought to Westeros when they crossed the narrow sea to overwhelm the First Men and their gods. (ASOS Tyrion X)

"Poor fellows," said a big man with an axe. Despite the chill of the autumnal wood, he was shirtless, and on his breast was carved a seven-pointed star. Andal warriors had carved such stars in their flesh when first they crossed the narrow sea to overwhelm the kingdoms of the First Men. (AFFC Brienne I)

"The oldest histories we have were written after the Andals came to Westeros." (AFFC Samwell I)

"Did you know the Darklyns were kings in Duskendale before the Andals come?" (AFFC Brienne II)

"When last the salt kings and the rock kings met in kingsmoot, Urron of Orkmont let his axemen loose among them, and Nagga's ribs turned red with gore. House Greyiron ruled unchosen for a thousand years from that dark day, until the Andals came." (AFFC The Kraken's Daughter)

"Storms were sacred on the Sisters before the Andals came." (ASOS Davos I)

House Blackwood kept the old gods, and worshiped as the First Men had in the days before the Andals came to Westeros. (ADWD Jaime I)

The Andals originated in the lands of the Axe, east and north of where Pentos now lies, though they were for many centuries a migratory people who did not remain in one place for long. From the heartlands of the Axe—a great spur of land surrounded on all sides by the Shivering Sea—they traveled south and west to carve out Andalos: the ancient realm the Andals ruled before they crossed the narrow sea. (TWOIAF The Arrival of the Andals)

Yet in the end, even the Dreadfort fell before the might of Winterfell, and the last Red King, known to history as Rogar the Huntsman, swore fealty to the King of Winter and sent his sons to Winterfell as hostages, even as the first Andals were crossing the narrow sea in their longships. (TWOIAF The Kings of Winter)

Even before the coming of the Andals, the Wolf's Den had been raised by King Jon Stark, built to defend the mouth of the White Knife against raiders and slavers from across the narrow sea (some scholars suggest these were early Andal incursions, whilst others argue they were the forebears of the men of Ib, or even slavers out of Valyria and Volantis). (TWOIAF The Kings of Winter)

The oldest of these—a long-abandoned tower, round and squat and covered with gargoyles—has become known as the First Keep. Some take this to mean that it was built by the First Men, but Maester Kennet has definitively proved that it could not have existed before the arrival of the Andals since the First Men and the early Andals raised square towers and keeps. (TWOIAF Winterfell)

The true history of the riverlands begins with the coming of the Andals. (TWOIAF The Riverlands)

True History suggests otherwise, insisting that the children had abandoned the riverlands long before the Andals crossed the narrow sea. But however it happened, the grove was destroyed. Today only stumps remain where once the weirwoods stood. (TWOIAF The Riverlands)

The feud of the Blackwoods and Brackens is infamous, and rightly so, for it stretches back thousands of years to before the coming of the Andals. (TWOIAF House Tully)

this Winged Knight lived and flew and fought many thousands of years before the first Andals came to Westeros. (TWOIAF House Arryn)

The arrival of the Andals in the Seven Kingdoms only hastened the decline of the Iron Islands, for unlike the First Men who had gone before, the Andals were fearless seamen, with longships of their own as swift and seaworthy as any that the ironborn could build. (TWOIAF The Iron Kings)

For it was under the Hoares that the Faith of the Andals came to the Iron Islands for the first time. (TWOIAF The Black Blood)

That was when the golden-haired rogue called Lann the Clever appeared from out of the east. Some say he was an Andal adventurer from across the narrow sea, though this was millennia before the coming of the Andals to Westeros. (TWOIAF The Westerlands)

By the time the Andals came, Lannisport had become the second biggest city in Westeros. (TWOIAF The Westerlands)

However, the boundaries of their kingdom did not reach their full scope until the arrival of the Andal invaders. The Andals came late to the westerlands, long after they had taken the Vale and toppled the kingdoms of the First Men in the riverlands. (TWOIAF The Westerlands)

The Andals came late to the Reach. (TWOIAF Andals in the Reach)

...but before Aegon's Conquest, before even the coming of the Andals, the warrior kings of House Durrandon pushed their borders considerably farther. (TWOIAF The Stormlands)

The Dornishmen boast that theirs is the oldest of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. This is true, after a fashion. Unlike the Andals, who came later, the First Men were not seafarers. (TWOIAF Dorne)

44 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

....In-universe, main novels, characters consider it the "Andal invasion".   Oh we could say there was an "Anglo-Saxon migration", but it's remembered as the "Andal Invasion".  

I'd vote for "Andal InvasionS", as it was more a 2,000 year or so time period that lasted generations.

From what I can find using the search site, the Andals begin to be referred to as invaders in TWOIAF, not the novels, although the world book does use the term often for them. I haven't found George using the phrase "Andal invasion(s)"; which characters refer to it as such?

When possible we should use George's terminology. The corresponding chapter in TWOIAF is titled "The Arrival of the Andals", for example, and characters in the novels refer to the coming of the Andals.

Greetings! I'm BrienneTheBlue112, and I'm fairly new here. I'm hoping to help with editing AWOIAF pages, mainly for grammatical errors, but as I appear to be logged in here, when I go to a Wiki page, I'm not logged in. When I try to log in there, it won't let me? Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance!

On 7-4-2018 at 1:15 AM, BrienneTheBlue112 said:

Greetings! I'm BrienneTheBlue112, and I'm fairly new here. I'm hoping to help with editing AWOIAF pages, mainly for grammatical errors, but as I appear to be logged in here, when I go to a Wiki page, I'm not logged in. When I try to log in there, it won't let me? Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance!

An account for the wiki needs to be created first. I think you are supposed to post a topic here with the wiki user name you prefer to have. 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

An account for the wiki needs to be created first. I think you are supposed to post a topic here with the wiki user name you prefer to have. 

BrienneTheBlue112 has been working reliably on the TV wiki since 2015:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/BrienneTheBlue112

and isn't just a casual fan dropping in.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:15 AM, BrienneTheBlue112 said:

We've a minimum post count requirement before you can get a wiki account. I forget if it's 3 or 5 posts, but once you reach that criteria, you'll see a new sub-forum of the Wiki sub-forum, for submitting an account creation request.

Okay, so let me preface by saying I'm a huge geek, and I spend a lot of time on GoT Wiki.  

I see that on January 03, 2018 the Ethan Glover page was modified and (because I'm a geek), I noticed something was taken out regarding freeing him from the black cells.  I know this is going to sound SUPER stupid, but that particular piece of information was of interest to me.  Is there any history on the why of it being taken out?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ethan_Glover

56 minutes ago, GoTCannibal said:

Okay, so let me preface by saying I'm a huge geek, and I spend a lot of time on GoT Wiki.  

I see that on January 03, 2018 the Ethan Glover page was modified and (because I'm a geek), I noticed something was taken out regarding freeing him from the black cells.  I know this is going to sound SUPER stupid, but that particular piece of information was of interest to me.  Is there any history on the why of it being taken out?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ethan_Glover

Because it is not stated in the text :)

On 9-4-2018 at 6:57 PM, zionius said:

Trivia for the errata:

In the Appendix of ACOK(1st ed.), Nestor Royce was listed as "brother of Lord Yohn" (check here), and corrected to "cousin of Lord Yohn" in later prints.

Thanks! Will add it!