Onion Knight

The ASOIAF wiki thread

1,724 posts in this topic

Hello all, new wiki user here. Apologies if this is not the appropriate place to post this. I have a certain mission of mine that I'd like to see through, but I find that I don't quite have the skill to accomplish it. I wish to add a personal arms section to a couple of characters' infoboxes, namely Aegon II and Rhaenyra Targaryen, and provide formal blazonry for another, Daemon I Blackfyre.  I've done this so far to Rhaenyra, and updated Daemon's. These were easy (I just added the description of blazonry to Daemon, and copy and pasted said section into Rhaenyra's page and edited the text to reflect her personal heraldry.) However, this copy and pasting technique has not worked with Aegon II. When I do so, and add the appropriate information, it simply appears (in the preview) below the listing of his mother as Alicent Hightower, without the description (coat of arms, personal arms, etc) though I add it immediately before the "Books" row in the sandbox. What am I doing wrong, and how can I add this information? I very much hope I can be a productive member of this wiki, so I'd like to learn all I can. For whatever reason, I'm not able to post the pictures of the sandbox, preview, and templates I took

23 hours ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Hello all, new wiki user here. Apologies if this is not the appropriate place to post this. I have a certain mission of mine that I'd like to see through, but I find that I don't quite have the skill to accomplish it. I wish to add a personal arms section to a couple of characters' infoboxes, namely Aegon II and Rhaenyra Targaryen, and provide formal blazonry for another, Daemon I Blackfyre.  I've done this so far to Rhaenyra, and updated Daemon's. These were easy (I just added the description of blazonry to Daemon, and copy and pasted said section into Rhaenyra's page and edited the text to reflect her personal heraldry.) However, this copy and pasting technique has not worked with Aegon II. When I do so, and add the appropriate information, it simply appears (in the preview) below the listing of his mother as Alicent Hightower, without the description (coat of arms, personal arms, etc) though I add it immediately before the "Books" row in the sandbox. What am I doing wrong, and how can I add this information? I very much hope I can be a productive member of this wiki, so I'd like to learn all I can. For whatever reason, I'm not able to post the pictures of the sandbox, preview, and templates I took

That depends on the template used as infobox. Monarchs (e.g., Aegon II) have a different infoboxes than other characters (e.g., Rhaenyra and Daemon). I've tried adjusting the template for the Infobox monarch template, but for some reason, it doesn't show.

Perhaps this is a good moment to look at the infobox templates all together, as the Infobox character and Infobox monarch are not entirely consistent (where layout and order of information found in both boxes are concerned). Perhaps we can create two new templates (or adjust the existing ones) where consistency is increased? 

What do you guys think of changing thw words of character categorization by origin? Instead of "Characters from the North" we could use "Northmen" or "Ghiscari" and when the origin its unclear "Westerosi" or "Essosi".

On 27/07/2017 at 7:35 PM, Gonzalo said:

What do you guys think of changing thw words of character categorization by origin? Instead of "Characters from the North" we could use "Northmen" or "Ghiscari" and when the origin its unclear "Westerosi" or "Essosi".

I think this would require that we knew all the ethnic adjectives of Martin's world, which we don't.

"Essosi" for instance doesn't exist in the books, and I think it's best not to make up such adjectives if we want awoiaf to be accurate.