World of Warcraft

Stego

Kal,

Keyboard turning as a tank is ideal. I can control, with precision, when and how I turn and move while keeping the boss in front of me at all times. I back up easier. I strafe easier. I avoid unnecessary gibs easier.

Now, if a boss is not on me at that moment, I use the mouse. It's quicker, but it's more dangerous.

Billy,

Looking at your warrior tank, Tuff, he looks solid but needs a bit of help.

-First and foremost, as a blacksmith, he needs those extra gem sockets. Accept no excuses from a tank.

-Parry gems in a warrior are worth a slap in the teeth. Two slaps for a jewelcrafter.

-His spec is a bit retarded. Why improved rend? And why is he rending at all? Unless Patchwerk is a rogue that can vanish unless dotted, I see no reason for this. Have him put those points in Imp HS.

-Armored to the teeth is more valuable than Cruelty for a tank.

-Imp Spell Reflect is good for phase 2 of Malygos and NOTHING ELSE in the game. No reason to spec this for Naxx.

-Sons of Hodir rep needed. No excuses for tanks.

(This is actually a light whooping for a warrior tank. He's mostly solid.)

Huh. So how do you deal with Malygos' spark placement then? I'm just trying to think how I'd look behind myself quickly while moving around and calling out where the spark is coming from without mouselook, and it is..hard.

[quote]I've developed a weird hybrid technique.

I steer and move the camera with my mouse. I move forward and backward with W and S

I click on totems. I press autoattack, stormstrike, earthshock, etc.

I have have frost shock bound to button 4 purge, to button 5 for PvP Hex is bound to Z
most other stuff I click.[/quote]

That's pretty similar to me as well, Steve, except I have a few more keybinds. I am a proud keyboard turner. *flex*

TP- not to harp on your raid some more, but the totem thing is going to keep me awake at night. Why wouldn't they drop totems? Its fun! Resto shaman without cleanse?! Elemental shaman who doesn't drop totem of wrath? And the hit rating... :(

Oh and did I see a spell penetration gem in one of their shoulders?!

Ah, okay. That makes way more sense.

See, I do basically the doom/quake/CS thing, though I have move forward/back bound to mouse movement as well. That's mostly for pvp though or when I'm feeling lazy and want to run into robots. W is forward, S is back, A is strafe left, D is strafe right. I don't even have the ability to turn without the mouse now. Hmm...maybe I do - the arrow keys might be bound to that still. Okay, I don't 'practically' have that ability. :)

I really should fix my vent button. It's near my mouse but I can't practically turn while talking on vent. It's almost never an issue, but it can be annoying.

And sil's a keyboard turner too. It's funny how folks can almost immediately tell who is playing Sil or me at a given moment if they're watching us turn. ;)

shocking revalation Stego. keyboard turning tank? i under stand once you have aggro and you dont have to move much but how did you tank someone like Prince?

Kal, try binding your vent to your mouse, might help. or to your left pinky.

[quote name='Relic' post='1722730' date='Mar 17 2009, 16.49']shocking revalation Stego. keyboard turning tank? i under stand once you have aggro and you dont have to move much but how did you tank someone like Prince?[/quote]

Do you mean, how do I dance around while maintaining aggro?

All of my moves are bound to the right or above my movements keys, so I use my ring finger to hold down the movement and slam my keys.

Prince was never really a consideration, but on a fight like say...Illidan, if I turned my back to him for even a second, it was over. But If I didn't move quickly, I would also die. So strafing with my index finger poised on shield block seemed ideal.

I use the ~ button for push to talk. Easy to reach anytime.

I occasionally use L&R mouse buttons to move forward if im stuffing my face while moving, but mostly is W as a matter of facr you can hardly tell its a W key anymore its so worn :P

I tend to skimp on totems on trash. Usually just WF and Magma. If its only 1 or 2 mobs sometimes not even that.. they just die to fast. But on a boss fight? Hell I'll drop useless totems if need be. Already got WF and WoA covered? Sentry totem is getting dropped. Ok not really, but there is no reason not to have 4 totems of some sort down on a boss.

I'll probably bind mouse5 to talk. It's currently moving backwards, but I don't tend to need that most of the time. I've got enough going on with the left hand that I don't want to tilde or something - it moves that hand out of position, so I'd have a hard enough time strafing while talking. And that could be really bad on doing something like firewalls.

[i]Phelan said:

"Clicking can hurt you when:
- You lose time dragging the mouse back and forth notable distances as part of your rotation (mitigated pretty well by arranging the buttons well)
- If it interferes with your movement
- If it interferes with your targeting
- If it pulls your eyes to your actionbars and away from the action

I've always been a keyboard user, to the point where I actually run into trouble if I start typing during a fight; I can't click for it. I have, however, previously used clicking for my emergency buttons. The number of times I died because I tried to reach over and click on Last Stand but was too slow is incalculable."[/i]

Shift-R is hardly faster than clicking.

The real secret to using oh-shit!s is anticipating them being needed. If you look and have 30 health, it's probably too late to save yourself, no matter the manner in which you activate LS/SW.

Mouse movement can hurt when:

-You turn you back to a mob and lose the ability to parry, doge, and block.
-You can't back up. (I assume you can bind this to the wheel or whatever.)
-You need to use your mouse for data in a raid. (Yes, I realize that not everyone is a RL/officer)

If you are targeting with any method other than using Tab, you are wrong.

If you do not have one eye on your GCD [b]AT ALL TIMES[/b], you are wrong. This is the [b]NUMBER ONE[/b] difference between poor and good players. GCD management.

[quote name='Mandy' post='1722735' date='Mar 17 2009, 16.53']I do use wsad to turn usually, but I tab to target mobs and use my mouse for spells... left pinky is for vent :P I actually do find it hard to talk and run sometimes :P maybe I should change that...[/quote]

Your gonna rub bad ideas off on Mandy Stego.

Keyboard Turning = Bad

[quote name='Stego' post='1722752' date='Mar 17 2009, 16.08']QFT.[/quote]

Well the one issue I will have is that on occasion if the phone rings while I'm playing I'll answer, and find myself pushing ~ when I talk on the phone. :P

[quote]If you are targeting with any method other than using Tab, you are wrong.

If you do not have one eye on your GCD AT ALL TIMES, you are wrong. This is the NUMBER ONE difference between poor and good players. GCD management.[/quote]I almost never target using tab. I cycle with the mouse if needed and have a few things bound to onmouseover (such as taunt, faerie fire and charge) so that I can do that while attacking current targets.

I also don't tend to have an eye on the GCD and just know my cycle fairly well. It helps that druids have a much easier cycle as a bear. I have an eye on my timers and buff/debuff cycles, but I don't need to monitor GCDs. I just need to know what I do next and press my button when I do. For fights I need to, I will, but it's very rare when I need to attack at 'just' the right moment. Spamming buttons is fine, and that works better with maul queueing anyway. It's more important to know when things are coming off CD for me.

All of my ohshits cooldowns are bound to a nonmodified keystroke. Unless it's a special fight like Sarth, I simply listen for the low health warning and hit a CD then. Barkskin gets used first, then Survival instincts. It's pretty pavlovian - hear the low health sound, hit the ohshit. Sarth of course is different.

Like i said, my PTT is my star key on the numpad, which is right by the mouse. Which means I take my hand off the mouse to speak some times. I tried tilde for a while, but doing that while maintaining attacks and moving was too annoying. I've just...gotten used to it. Probably switch to the mouse button now that I've gotten a mouse with more buttons. :)

This is quite fascinating - it's really interesting hearing how many good players do things so differently.

I have to disagree.

Shift-R, while not exactly what I have bound (Shift-8 for Last Stand, actually) is much faster on average because of where my cursor tends to be. If my cursor is in the immediate vicinity of my accumulated emergency buttons, the cursor is quite likely faster. If, instead, I've got the mouse on the opposite side of the screen because I made a big turn or was checking on something, that is more than enough time loss to make the difference.

The way I tend to work is this:
I move with the keyboard, using WASD. I keyboard-turn when I need to turn relatively small amounts (or my right hand is occupied by something else, such as food), and otherwise use the mouse to change my facing. I only use the mouse to move forward when I accidentally hit a key that's apparently bound to auto-run and am not mousing over someone (it's Intervene or Flash of Light depending on character); I should unbind that from auto-run before I forget again. I keyboard turn a lot more when soloing than in groups, because I'm often doing something else as well while soloing.

Currently my push-to-talk is Command, analogously placed to the Windows key. It's a little less stress on my fingers to reach (before I did some remapping, my hand was starting to cramp up in raids due to pressing Control with the base of my pinky so much).

At times I've found myself (especially on my paladin) focusing my eyes on the cooldowns of abilities and missing what was going on in general. That's something I see as a potential problem with clicking, more in the sense of focusing your eyes on whether the cursor is on the the skill you want, and not noticing that you're now standing in, say, a void zone.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1722765' date='Mar 17 2009, 17.20']Your gonna rub bad ideas off on Mandy Stego.

Keyboard Turning = Bad[/quote]

If by bad, you mean the RL and GM of the all content cleared top Horde guild on our server since Sunwell, then ok. :D If she makes it to being that bad,t hen she's welcome to raid with us anytime.

[quote name='PhelanArcetus' post='1722787' date='Mar 17 2009, 17.35']I have to disagree.

Shift-R, while not exactly what I have bound ([b]Shift-8 [/b]for Last Stand, actually) is much faster on average because of where my cursor tends to be. If my cursor is in the immediate vicinity of my accumulated[/quote]

Shift 8!?

Are you joking? Are you 7 feet tall? How fucking big are your hands? How slow is your mouse? I would break my fucking wrist doing shift-8 with any speed. There is no way on earth that is quicker than clicking ANYWHERE on your screen. Do you not have a gaming mouse? One side of my screen to the other is far less than half a second. If you had LS bound to something like what Kal explained I could understand. That might be faster.

But Shift-8?

Holy shit.

Are my hands really that small?

Are you left handed, maybe?

Archived