World of Warcraft

Stego

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1723392' date='Mar 18 2009, 01.39']Indeed. Playing a mage is literally pressing two buttons, maybe 4 if its a weird boss and most of your effort comes before the fights when you run around and feed people and make them less stupid.[/quote]

I find as a fire mage I use 5 buttons on boss fights with some frequency. Scorch, Fireball (could also be Frostfire Bolt as easily), Living Bomb, Pyroblast and when I'm moving around I throw a Fire Blast for good measure. There are a fair number of trinkets and cooldowns to manage. I have fun playing a mage.

Too bad now that I have a healer that's all I ever get to play any more. Granted, I also have been having fun playing a healer. But it's nice to get a break from having to keep the whole party/raid alive and just focus on DPS.

I have literally almost nothing besides my rotation as a fire mage. I mean you've got Combustion, which is awful and the damage bonus from your 2 piece Tier 7, that's it. I much prefer the fire playstyle to arcane though, especially since they made it so the arcane cooldowns don't sync up anymore, and you need a calculator before the fight to determine precisely what second you have to use your cooldowns to maximize your DPS.

Also if any Arcane mages are casting Slow in PvE they're doing it wrong.

They changed it last patch to include attack speed debuffs in TTW so any mob that's being tanked is going to have the slowing effect on him without the Mage having to waste GCD's on Slow. That's really what put Arc/Fireball back on top as the premier DPS spec, along with the Arcane nerfs.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1723392' date='Mar 18 2009, 01.39']Indeed. Playing a mage is literally pressing two buttons, maybe 4 if its a weird boss and most of your effort comes before the fights when you run around and feed people and make them less stupid.

Check the shammie thread as comparason: [url="http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t24796-shaman_restoration/"]http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t24796-shaman_restoration/[/url]

totally straightforward.

I think I'd be a much better player if I fully understood this crap and didn't have to always rely on interpretation. (Which I am quite appreciative of, I'd just rather get it on my own, ya know?)[/quote]

:lmao:

Sorry, I play a mage in both PvP and PvE. It's a lot more than 2 or buttons. In PvE I have a limited choice of buttons to use - living bomb, two stacks of scorch, frostfire bolt spam. If I change spec, then it's an arcane rotation instead, which requires slow, if it's possible, arcane blast, arcane missiles, arcane barrage, and if I've overextended myself, a fireball. On AoE trash pulls, there's a lot of blizzarding, occasional flamestriking, some dragon's breathing and arcane explosioning if I want to live life dangerously. Cone of cold, frost nova, and blink should I stop wanting to live dangerously and save my skin. And if someone is being an absolute douche, or we're just having fun, we'll aoe and then iceblock on someone. That's a bunch of buttons right there. Don't get me started on what I use in PvP. That is just about... everything.

As spell hit goes, it's your most important stat. Let's just say that all mobs have a chance to dodge or evade your attacks. If they are higher level than you, that chance starts to go up by quite a bit. Raid bosses are at least three levels above the highest player level in the game, and your chance to have your attacks land on them is a measly 83%. If you start using hit, that brings your chances up to 100% (used to be 99%, but then they changed it). So, you start picking up talents that allow you to hit bosses more often, like precision. Now you're at 86%. The rest will come from gear, gems, and enchants. There's no reason to want to hit a boss less than 99% of the time, so stack your hit until you're capped, then get some spell damage, haste, and crit.

Disclaimer: I haven't played my mage in about four months, so specs have changed. I'm aware of the arcane/fire spec now, but haven't played it, so I can't give input on how that goes.

Well, on warriors, I can speak to what I recall of assorted blue posts.

1. Arms was high before the Sudden Death nerf, but it was too random; too much of the damage was coming from Sudden Death procs, and Blizzard was unhappy about that.
2. Blizzard has felt that an unpenalized Titan's Grip is massively over-budget as a talent. Since there's no way to make it a multi-point talent (5-pointer, ranks 1-4 are "you are learning to use two 2-handers but can't yet"). Well, I suppose they could make it rank 1 is the ability with a penalty, and ranks 2-5 reduce that penalty, but this would require reshaping the tree entirely, and breaking the paradigm of the 51-pt talent as a single rank. Titan's Grip and Improved Titan's Grip would be the sensible setup there, I guess.
3. In live, Arms is too weak, though I guess the damage breakdown is about right, just not enough of it. So Blizzard wants to bring that up. Freeing the Arms warrior of 8 points of Expertise, while returning Fury the reduced Intercept cooldown for PvP (Arms getting charge in combat) should do that without hurting Fury too much more and also giving back some PvP mobility to Fury.

This is just me regurgitating blue posts, though.

I know there's some other mage sites out there, but I honestly don't remember them. Maybe once a few people get up I can get the links off of them. Don't know how much theorycraft is there as opposed to calculators, though.

Looks like I've got a bit more drama inc, maybe. My friend, the one who the guild leader is treating badly ("when you grow up, you know where to find me") has dropped guild. He understandably doesn't want to stick around with a group wherein two people in leadership positions are mean to him, one of whom is supposedly an RL friend, so on. In addition, he finally decided to leave the non-guild-based 25-man raiding group he had been in, and to get back into 25-man raiding, he had to join a guild. I really can't blame him for leaving (the old raid group or the guild). The old raid group, he left because the last straw was the raid leader deciding to do Sarth3D without, apparently, understanding the fight, and then complaining about people not having researched the fight. Not "In one week we're doing Sarth3D, read up", but "tonight we're doing Sarth3D, not 2D which we've never done". And then not having read up himself, it seems. The guild... well, if being in the same guild as your supposed friend is causing game and RL drama and she's making the guild a hostile environment for you, you get out.

I just need to figure out what I'm going to do regarding all this. I really don't want to deal with this drama, but if one of our best players who is a good friend of mine is leaving... temptation to go find a guild that will be sans this drama, or even switch to a different server where some other friends (and that guy) have characters, is mounting. Though I would also feel bad dooming the guild I'm in now to never raiding as a guild again and both screwing over and ditching some people I like and don't cause drama.

Bleh. And now, back to work, wherein I go crazier.

[quote]I really don't want to deal with this drama, but if one of our best players who is a good friend of mine is leaving... temptation to go find a guild that will be sans this drama, or even switch to a different server where some other friends (and that guy) have characters, is mounting. Though I would also feel bad dooming the guild I'm in now to never raiding as a guild again and both screwing over and ditching some people I like and don't cause drama.[/quote]

It is not your responsibility to provide a raid for people who attract drama and cause their own problems. My advice to you would absolutely be to leave that guild and find a raid you can be happy in. WoW should not be drama. Its a game that you pay money to play. It should be fun, full stop. You have every right to enjoy the game you pay to play, and to avoid drama like the plague. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Agreed.

I don't really care about denying the people who are being jerks a raid. I do care about not having to put up with a ton of drama from them, and I know them in real life, so I know anything aside from doing whatever they want will provoke drama. One's my houseguest, after all.

On the other hand, there are people who are not drama causing who I like and don't want to dick over. Those are the ones I feel a responsibility to.

Given that I'm on an injury-enforced break (not that I can keep off a computer very well, it seems), I have some time to mull it over.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1723360' date='Mar 18 2009, 00.46']Keyboard turning is always slower. It's really that simple.[/quote]

Yeah, no.

As you're obviously afraid to pit your accomplishments and knowledge against mine, I would recommend you not toss around the word bad. In addition, please understand that common misconceptions are just that.

[quote name='Stego' post='1723840' date='Mar 18 2009, 11.09']Yeah, no.

As you're obviously afraid to pit your accomplishments and knowledge against mine, I would recommend you not toss around the word bad. In addition, please understand that common misconceptions are just that.[/quote]

Bro i understand why you use the keyboard to tank, but really, what are you arguing here? Are you saying keyboard turning ISNT slower? you use it because its slower...

Heh. Not sure we should bring up accomplishments given that we just got one of the worst players on their server their Twilight Vanquisher title. I love the make a wish program though. We should do it more. Ooh - let's get Mandy her title for no reason!

Relic, the 4-directional mousewheel doesn't work. The left-right doesn't map natively to a keystroke or buttonpress, and it's simply way too sensitive. What I really want is a joypad like on a nintendo on the mouse. That would be ideal.

[quote name='Relic' post='1723903' date='Mar 18 2009, 11.55']Bro i understand why you use the keyboard to tank, but really, what are you arguing here? Are you saying keyboard turning ISNT slower? you use it because its slower...[/quote]

Ehh, I'm arguing that the troll randomly called me bad with no clue what he's talking about. I'm basically just being a dick.

If Stego tanks Sunwell with his dick, are we still going to extol its virtues?I think it is a bad habit for pvp, but in pve? I don't think it matters one twit. Anyone who is going to get hit by [i]Walking[/i] Man is going to get hit regardless. :lol:

[quote name='Stego' post='1724005' date='Mar 18 2009, 12.47']Ehh, I'm arguing that the troll randomly called me bad with no clue what he's talking about. I'm basically just being a dick.[/quote]

lol

kal - yeah a joystick would be sweet. if i could somehow bind every single key and foot pedal my macros, id love to play on a 360 controller.

nessy - it may not matter to some but i think it makes a difference to say...the casual player. a non gamer who doesnt really have the hand eye coordination us long time video game players have developed. those people should learn to play WoW FPS style, imo. they're slow enough as is ... =P

I know you hate 'em stego, but the achievement thing has really revitalized the game for Carrie and I. Lots of neat achievements to do. The heroic ones were pretty fun and challenging and interesting, at least some of 'em. The raider ones aren't nearly as cool though, mostly because they require weird behaviors that don't make the fight more challenging, just less dumb. At least so far. I like the hardmode versions, but the 'pull more mobs for no reason' ones are just weird.

Some of the other non-raiding achievements are pretty fun by themselves, and it's definitely gotten us interested in the holiday content and older-world content more. I mean, we did Zul'gurub for the first time ever the other night. Had no idea what it was like. And we wiped a few times! Glad to have done it.

I really, truly hope that blizzard does a Caverns of Time reset for all the old world with the Emerald dream. I want heroic versions of all old-world content. A heroic tribute run, a heroic scholomance or Maraudon or WC...these things need to be done.

[quote]If Stego tanks Sunwell with his dick, are we still going to extol its virtues?[/quote]Intentionally vague pronouns ftw. I choose to read that as extolling the dick's virtues, but I guess you could read it as being happy with dickturning.

Guest thebadlady
Ya know, maybe you guys don't realize how much and how often you put down other players whom you call friends, much less ones you don't. What is more important to you - WoW or friends? I think Mandy deserves an apology. And maybe you can remember that people have worth regardless of how they play WoW.

Why does she deserve an apology?

Sorry, that came out a bit harsh. I guess I'm confused what anyone said that would have offended Mandy, especially since she didn't actually, ya know, post anything that was particularly pissed off. One thing I'm fairly confident in is that if Mandy was pissed off at someone, she'd let them very clearly know it. :)

If this was in that whole 'make a wish' foundation thing, I'm not saying she's a bad player or person. But she is a n00b, and getting her a title that only about 120 people on our server have one week after she dinged 80 would be amusing, to say the least. Especially when she starts doing more heroic Pugs and is wearing that title :)

Archived