BSG Thread #12 (or 13)

Werthead

Well, I really liked it, though I did remark on several structural similarities to the DS9 finale (with one big departure). And I did agree with Lee's little speech, even though he phrased it in a ridiculously silly way... sadly in character for him.

I enjoyed Baltar's comment about "the things men do for love" - did that appear at the beginning sometime?

SPOILER: Things I didn't like
The whole shared dream came down to just them taking Hera into the bridge? Then putting her down so Cavil could easily put a gun to her. Weak.

Cavil gave in too easily.

There's no way in hell they'd fly the fleet into the sun and start from scratch.

So Starbuck was a ghost? That's it? Weak.

I wouldn't mind if I have cylon blood in my veins but I sure as shit hope I don't have any Baltar in me. Ew! :lol:

SPOILER: Things I liked
Tyrol snapping Tori's neck like a twig. I loved it. His eyes bugged out when he got to see what she had done and then Rage: Activate! Fuck an A.

Tyrol founds Clan MacLeod

Take out the ham-fisted explanation about how their DNA is compatible with that of the indigenous early humans, and then the equally silly reasoning for breaking up the fleet and making everyone go back to basics and I would have thought it was great. That stuff just didn't make sense but the rest of the episode was pretty damn good, I thought.

We don't know that they went completely back to basics, just that they sent the ships off into the sun. I know what choice I'd make between an increasingly cramped and delapidated space vessel and an unspoiled planet.

I don't think Starbuck was a ghost per se. I liked that her fate was left largely unexplained.

I actually liked that a lot besides the flashbacks being yet again completely pointless. I don't see how you can give this episode shit and still be ok with that whole Eye of Jupiter story arch.

Everything that is happening has happened before and will happen again.

[quote name='Bach' post='1727985' date='Mar 20 2009, 23.29']I would have rather seen them build Atlantis then go local,[/quote]

Exactly.

I didn't mean they would have stayed on the ships, I just don't think they would have tossed that tech into the sun. At least hide it in a crater on the moon or something. Just in case something happens in the next few years.

That was worthless. A monumental waste of 2 hours, let alone 5 fucking years. Dear god its barely worth the effort to type this post or the bandwidth to send it on. I feel bad about strain I'm putting on my computer and keyboard. I knew for certain to expect the worst during the 'Last Frakking Special' special. The moment Ron Moore said 'Fuck the plot, its the characters stupid!', I knew we were fucked. No we won't bother with answering any of the enduring questions that have been with us since the beginning. No we won't make the slightest effort to make sense of any of the weird shit that we've been tantalizing you with for season after season. We'll feed a bunch of action sans reason or inspiration to keep the neandrethal crowd happy, than we'll follow it with an hour long Discovery channel nature special. WHOOPTIE-FUCKING-DO!

After a lame ass speech by Lee, the entirety of humanity decided to become neo-luddites? Seriously Ron? That's your pathetic way of tying this into our 'real world' history? We can't think of a real solution, so we'll write it off to spontaneous stupidity across the remnants of a species. But I guess its not that unusual considering the collective idiocy on display last episode which we've already covered here. There is no remotely rational explanation for throwing all the remaining progress of humanity, all the knowledge and technology into the sun. Fucking stupid...that's all that can be said about it. 40,000 people and not a single individual saying 'Fuck no, I'd like a ship/city/bar/lazy-boy nearby?' Fucking stupid.

And yeah, there was really so much necessary shit that they couldn't have possibly stuffed it into two hours. I mean how would the finale be complete without Adama vomiting all over himself or throwing a tantrum during a lie-detector test. Did they even know Cylons had skinjobs at that point? Why would they ask him?

And a fucking B-movie style warning against the evils of technology. Gee, what a profound and powerful message Ron. I'm sure I'll take that to heart. What is the message exactly? Dismantle all modern technology and go til the fields? Or simply if we do decide to create sentient robots, make sure we disable the genocidal tendencies chip? What.The.Fuck? When you fuck things up this badly, 'Its happened before and will happen again' doesn't become mythic, not profound, its just a silly ass tagline.

And even though they seemingly blew the ENTIRE FX budget for the season on this episode...anyone else feel underwhelmed? I've been wowed by the space battles of BSG before, but I sure as hell wasn't here. Monotonous and uninspired.

And largely pointless. Humans can procreate. Our species can survive. Why was Hera REMOTELY necessary to the survival of humanity? Another thing they didn't even bother to explain. She's no bridge to further human/cylon understanding, there's nothing left to understand. No technology left, the Cylons inclined to further murder are gone, and everyone's spread to the four corners of the world. Yes I get that she's the fossilized 'Eve'...so what happened? Did the other 40,000 people die out due to earth born diseases? Why couldn't they have been the cornerstone of the future of humanity? Or the many spear-chucking natives? Fuck it. i ain't even gonna try to make sense of it. Why? Because I know the writers didn't bother to do so, so why the fuck should I or anyone else try?

Fucking worthless, nonsensical, drippy, smell shit. Anyone...and I mean ANYONE who suggests putting this series into the top spot of Sci-fi shows ever after this revolting piece of shit finale needs their head examined. Seriously, you should all confess this, say 5 B5's, and beg forgiveness. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. FUCK FUCK FCUK!!

5 years. I want it back. I'll come to my senses in time and simply remember the moments when the series genuinely was brilliant. But fuck this noise right now. Fucking stupid and unforgivable. I feel that much dumber for having watched it.

Can somebody please explain who was orchestrating everything? What was behind Head Six and Head Baltar? What brought Kara back from the dead (or as a ghost) to fulfill her destiny?

Because thats what I'm missing right now. I liked the episode in general. Lots of cool parts to it. And I liked some of the resolution. But the thing I was most looking forward to was finding out who 'God' was.

I mean....is it really just our God? If so, thats some pretty big copout bullshit. I've been about as far as you can get from being a critic of this show. I've liked pretty much everything about it. I've read the negative posts on here, and most of the time felt that people were whining for no good reason. But if the man behind the curtain in the show was actually our God....and thats the whole explanation for the Head characters and Kara......I feel kind of ripped off.

Somebody please tell me that I'm missing something here.

[quote name='Whiskeyjack' post='1728001' date='Mar 20 2009, 22.41']Can somebody please explain who was orchestrating everything? What was behind Head Six and Head Baltar? What brought Kara back from the dead (or as a ghost) to fulfill her destiny?[/quote]

God. That's the answer to everything. Everything that doesn't make sense in the series. Every inconsistency that hasn't been retconned away. God. That's all you got to say. Saying anything else is a waste of thought and effort because rest assured, the writers didn't put any thought or effort into making sense of it themselves. Or if they ever did, they'd long since given up. Its god, god, God, god, god. Fuck this show.

People actually fucking liked this shit?

Well I can't help you in terms of what the show left out. They didn't really explain the things you are asking. Which is gonna bother just about all of us.

But in terms of who "God" was, I can theorize that it's not God. It's either his/her/its opposite, or it's Azrael from the Book of Enoch. Azrael (I may have the angel's name wrong) was the one who defied God's orders and taught primitive man how to make tools and gave them the gift of fire. Once some of the other angels informed God of this he imprisoned Azrael "til the end of time" or something like that. It was all part of the story about Samael or whatever his name was, along with 300 angels, choosing to defy god and inter-breed with man. God imprisoned them, destroyed their "giant" offspring, and flooded the world.

Or something.

It's been a while since I delved into that lore, probably have it bass-ackwards.

But I figure if the writers stole from Forrest and Jenny with Lee and Starbuck/the Bird, they probably borrowed some biblical stuffs.

[quote name='EHK for a True GOP' post='1728014' date='Mar 20 2009, 22.45']God. That's the answer to everything. Everything that doesn't make sense in the series. Every inconsistency that hasn't been retconned away. God. That's all you got to say. Saying anything else is a waste of thought and effort because rest assured, the writers didn't put any thought or effort into making sense of it themselves. Or if they ever did, they'd long since given up. Its god, god, God, god, god. Fuck this show.

People actually fucking liked this shit?[/quote]

[quote name='Grim Shady' post='1728033' date='Mar 20 2009, 22.50']Well I can't help you in terms of what the show left out. They didn't really explain the things you are asking. Which is gonna bother just about all of us.[/quote]

Okay. Thats what I thought. And its such a huge copout......very disappointing.

I actually don't mind the time they spent on characterization the past few episodes. I enjoyed that. But it was with the assurance that they would actually give some answers in the end. To just resolve it all with God....that sucks.

Archived