Your war council

dancer

Tywin's genius lies in his diplomacy and treachery skills. He seems like a competent general, but not very creative. Not as creative as Robb or Tyrion.

There's one major advantage that he has that people are overlooking though: his organizational and disciplinary skills. The guards of Lannisport are much better trained, equipped, and disciplined than the guards of King's Landing and Oldtown. This is Tywin's work.

Well, if you put Bolton in command, he's going to make sure his allied forces are decimated while his own men are relatively unscathed. Smart for him, not for you. I would never put him on my war council, any more than I would put Petyr on my small council.

I agree that it is a bad idea to put Bolton in command, but having him on your council is a different matter entirely. There he's one voice among many and can offer cold and cunning advice. As for betraying people, to be fair he only betrayed Robb when the writing was on the wall, and he served under Ned during Robert's Rebellion. As long as you're winning, I don't think you have to worry about him. If you're losing...well, that's why I have Stannis on my council as well :). At least you know he'll never betray you (so long as you're not fighting his family or the rightful king or w/e).

[size=1]Yeah, I'll agree with that about Bolton. The bloke is obviously pretty clever and cunning, as he obviously helped plan the Red Wedding and has shown that he doesn't have any moral compass, which is probably the sort of thing that you might need when sitting on a war council. He is treacherous, but only [u]as we know[/u] in losing circumstances. I'm not sure that we can bank on the fact that he only betrayed Robb when he actually losing, rather than when Bolton could see that he was going to lose. We don't actually know how long Frey, Bolton and Tywin were planning the Red Wedding in advance.[/size]

Well, I'd say it's a safe bet that his plan at the Green Fork was rather risky, but that he and his forces were safe. Also, when he tried to cross the Red Fork to take Harrenhal and Vargo Hoat "cut hith van to bloody pietheth", do you think he and his men were in that van? Probably not.

So, even before Robb's cause was lost, he was looking out for his own while letting his northern rivals -- err, allies -- get slaughtered. At least, that's my assumption. There's no direct evidence for it, only circumstantial.

[quote name='wakiki' post='1729711' date='Mar 22 2009, 17.55']Well, I'd say it's a safe bet that his plan at the Green Fork was rather risky, but that he and his forces were safe. Also, when he tried to cross the Red Fork to take Harrenhal and Vargo Hoat "cut hith van to bloody pietheth", do you think he and his men were in that van? Probably not.

So, even before Robb's cause was lost, he was looking out for his own while letting his northern rivals -- err, allies -- get slaughtered. At least, that's my assumption. There's no direct evidence for it, only circumstantial.[/quote]

Yeah, I think you are probably right, which is why I would never want to give a command to Bolton, but I do think I would want his advice and thus would want him on my council. But I agree that putting him in charge of a host is a recipe for disaster. He would probably always try to strengthen his position relative to other lords, even if he wasn't planning on betraying you.

Supreme Commander: Rhaegar Targaryen

Chief of Staff: Jon Arryn
Deputy Chief of Staff: Tyrion Lannister

G-1 Personnel Officer: Petyr Baelish
Deputy G-2: Maester Luwin

G-2 Intelligence Officer: Varys
Deputy G-2: Jojen Reed

G-3 Operations Officer: Brynden Tully
Deputy G-3: Jon Snow

G-4 Logistics Officer: Samwell Tarley
Deputy G-4: Vayon Poole

Randall Tarly
Tywin Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Bryden Tully
Peter Baelish (Littlefinger)

I know Littlefinger is a strange choice like some pointed out. He may not have much experience with war, however I think he would bring other insights to the table that would more than make up for it.

Tryion Lannister - The dwarf is intelligent and cunning as hell. Definitely worth having. And unlike Bolton, you don't really have to worry about him betraying you and trying to make a winter coat out of...well, you. And let's face it, there's no way in hell Tywin's gonna work with Tryion. Between the two, I'd prefer Tryion.

Rob Stark - He has great power as a symbol of leadership, leading from the front, and watching him and especially Grey Wind does wonders for troop morale.

Ned Stark - As far as good, solid war experience goes, he's already fought one war as a general - and quite successfully.

Brynden Tully

Randall Tarly

If their status came with them you would pick the five most powerful but I guess we are just chosing for character intellligence, and craftyness.

Robb Never lost a battle but just keep him as a field general. Great decision making in the thick of it. But horrible at politics.

Tyrion For getting you out of a tight spot. Great out of the box type thinker

A mature Bran. Indispenseble when it comes to enemy movements.

Tywin Great stratigist but I would never let him write one letter or leave my sight.

Robert Baratheon Cant think of a better guy to lead the Van and win over defeated foes.

Eddard Stark

Robert Baratheon

Jon Arryn.

These three managed to do what no other combination of forces could do in 300 years. Topple the Targaryens. No one else can match that.

With them I would put Ser Brynden Tully. Smart, cunning and a real veteran.

I'd also put Tywin Lannister there. There's a reason he's one of the most feared commanders in the field.

In reserve I'd keep Ser Barriston Selmy and Randyll Tarly.

[quote name='snake' post='1730827' date='Mar 24 2009, 10.00']Eddard Stark

Robert Baratheon

Jon Arryn.

These three managed to do what no other combination of forces could do in 300 years. Topple the Targaryens. No one else can match that.[/quote]

This claim is right but for all the wrong reasons. The Targaryen line had diminished somewhat since the Blackfyre rebellion. Some would argue that the skills of Daemon, bittersteal and the other great bastards far exceeded those of the three you mentioned. The reason that Robert's Rebellion was such a success was on the behalf of a disunity in the Targaryen faction (Aerys and Rhaegar) and more crucially the madness of Aerys. Ned, Jon and Robert were no doubt great war leaders but this does not mean they were the best in the past 300 years but more alive at the right time in the past 300 years.

Archived