College Basketball - The Offseason

RedEyedGhost

[quote name='Mudguard' post='1728167' date='Mar 20 2009, 22.42']I picked Kansas last year too, but then again, I pick Kansas every year. I ended up 4th, just out of the money. It was a big pool though, probably 40 or 50 entries. All your points you've picked up in the first round will help a lot if you end up picking the champ.

I'm the only person to pick Kansas here, so if they win it all, I'm golden![/quote]

I decided to do something different this year, and not pick KU. I regretted it as soon as the brackets were locked.

Here's an interesting fact, we're 7-4 against the 10 teams we've played that are still in the tournament. I really don't believe we lose to MSU again. Louisville could be ... tough.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1728178' date='Mar 20 2009, 22.50']My voice is hoarse from yelling at the TV for the last 2 games. Thank god tomorrow's Saturday, I got a presentation on Monday*.

*please no surprises on Sunday, please please please*[/quote]

Well, at least you know Sunday won't be as late of a night. Of the three "late" games: Marquette - Missouri and MSU - USC both have the potential to be interesting. Louisville - Sienna is kind of wait and see, [b]if[/b] Sienna can jump on them in the first half (when Louisville appears to be very vulnerable) they've got a chance.

I'm not embarrassed at all that I'm at the bottom of our pool...sigh.

My instincts haven't showed up at all for this year, I've picked some pretty terrible teams to advance.

Gawd, I thought the Zona/Utah pick was an easy one.

ACC fails again. Clemson, BC, FSU, Weak Forest...

WF, what a terrible disappointment, folding like a cheap suit down the stretch. It's the same old story over and over again with them. When they're good, they play well enough during the regular season, but ultimately they never accomplish anything of real significance - even when they had nutpunch (aka Chris Paul). Still, I have to laugh at their loss.

On Wisconsin, baby, on Wisconsin.

No one thought they could do it. FSU was a hot team. Most people didn't even think the Badgers deserved an invite. They played like they should have all season they. They executed down the stretch. Made the tourney for me.

I love this time of year. There's a certain mystique that draws in fans that would never even consider watching a college bball game at any other time. That's what makes it special. You can see it here with our comment threads. I started a thread in early October that carried us through until practically the conference tournaments in late February... then REG started a thread that lasted from there to the first round! Ha! I love it!!!! Bring on March Madness.

(Although around these parts... its really more of a March Sadness this year. :cry: )

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1728207' date='Mar 21 2009, 01.07']I decided to do something different this year, and not pick KU. I regretted it as soon as the brackets were locked.

Here's an interesting fact, we're 7-4 against the 10 teams we've played that are still in the tournament. I really don't believe we lose to MSU again. Louisville could be ... tough.[/quote]

I have Kansas picked to come out of that region. But then again... I had Wake Forest picked to beat Louisville. Sigh.

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1728360' date='Mar 21 2009, 02.39']ACC fails again. Clemson, BC, FSU, Weak Forest...[/quote]

100% agreed. ESPN announcers fall all over themselves to lavish praise on the ACC; but it has routinely shown that it is a two team league. If I'm not mistaken, I saw a stat that said the ACC has only had one team in the Sweet Sixteen for the last four or five years. (Due to Duke's epic failures in the early rounds of late.)

I think UNC could be in some real trouble today if Lawson can't go. Ironically, I think this game against LSU will be far tougher than a potential Sweet 16 match-up with Gonzaga or WKU. I'm also stunned that not one single ESPN analyst took Oklahoma to win that region considering what we have known for over a week about Lawson's toe.

Ugh, the Midwest has ruined my bracket probably. I had Wake beating Louisville and I had WV beating Kansas. At least Michigan St. is still in it, I had them in the Final Four.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1728596' date='Mar 21 2009, 19.40']Nova is crushing UCLA atm, making me somewhat happier for picking them.[/quote]
I really need UCLA to make a comeback here.

[quote name='Brude' post='1728671' date='Mar 21 2009, 15.21']Go Maryland!!

If they win it will make up for Wake for me. (Never mind that I'm a Terps fan.)[/quote]

Looks like Bad Maryland today. :(

Oh well. At least we made it this far.

[quote name='Brude' post='1728588' date='Mar 21 2009, 10.36']Ugh, the Midwest has ruined my bracket probably. I had Wake beating Louisville and I had WV beating Kansas. At least Michigan St. is still in it, I had them in the Final Four.[/quote]

Exactly this for me. Out of the top ten, you and I are 10th and 9th in terms of "possible points", mainly because of this, I think.

I need MSU and 'Cuse to carry me for the rest of the tournament, I think.

[quote name='Brude' post='1728678' date='Mar 21 2009, 21.32']Crap. Maryland's looking completely outclassed by Memphis.[/quote]
Nearing the close of the first half, Memphis looks to be a fairly safe pick - which, having picked California, I need desperately. (Sorry Brude and Mack.)

Archived