Formula One 2009 I

DJDonegal

Somewhat confusing race. With the safety car and the inferiority of the soft tyres it's hard to tell where everybody stands. Great performance by Button. Not so great by Barrichello. What the hell was he doing at the start? Bridgestone needs to do something about these tyres. They were so much slower than the hard ones that the whole race got disrupted. Or the FIA should drop the rule that forces all teams to use both types.

As for the length of the safety car, I think they waited for everybody to line up in the right order for the restart.

Oh, and why was Massa on P 11 at the time he had to retire? Was he one pit stop ahead of everybody else or was his strategy so bad?

I believe Massa had taken his final pit stop while those in front had not.

The BBC seemed to think the length of the safety car wait was due to regulations stating that everyone has to be in tow before they can be released.

Massa was actually quite slow at this time. Ferrari brought him in early and it was the wrong strategy. Kimi pitted many laps later and when he got out of the pits he was a good 10 seconds plus ahead of Massa.

I was at the race and it was a great weekend. Good to see Brawn stir things up a little. Red Bull, BMW (without KERS), Williams and Toyota all look good. Ferrari should be closer in Malaysia. Mclaren are a long way off.

Here are two videos I took at the start of the race from the stands at pit straight which i'd like to share with you all;

Race Start

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8eAbpBORc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8eAbpBORc[/url]

End of lap 1

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2lmRaJkmf0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2lmRaJkmf0[/url]

What I'm really surprised with was the fact that there wasn't a stewards inquiry into the first turn mess that Barichello practically caused.

They penalised Vettel for his mini crash, but why not Barichello for big one.

[quote name='Gerold Hightower' post='1738218' date='Mar 30 2009, 08.44']They were so much slower than the hard ones that the whole race got disrupted. Or the FIA should drop the rule that forces all teams to use both types.[/quote]

The whole point is that they're very different. Drivers should know what each other are using in advance and take that into account. I like the rule, it makes for added interest, because a driver pulling out front on good tires can't afford to coast. It's a tactical rule which doesn't get in the way of, and in fact encourages, better driving and increases overtaking and required skill on the part of the driver- one of the good ones.

[quote]One thing I do have to say is that it does not really look like all the aerodynamic and tyre changes have made that much difference to the overtaking abilities of the cars, Rosberg seemd to be the only one who could overtake consistently, such a shame he had that bad pit stop. I think the performance of the cars is just so close that it is really difficult to overtake. I am not convinced that KERS is the answer. I think the weight of it offsets any gain that could be made from it and I expect it will be dropped sooner or later.[/quote]

There was quite a bit of overtaking... Glock and Hamilton both pulled a few maneuvers, and several other drivers were up and down the rankings too, by fair means or using the car as a battering ram (coughRubenscough).
Kers goes both ways - Hamilton was apparently using it to make overtaking easier, timing the boost right to surprise drivers, while Alonso was doing it defensively, using it at the likely overtaking spots with someone behind him to keep them away from touching distance. Bit video-gamey but we'll see how goes, it could add a new layer of skill.

It was a good race, I enjoyed it. Not a classic but fun. The crash aside, it was good to see Kubica and Vettel competing well, and Rosberg is a sublime driver to watch- good signs for the future of the sport, and Hamilton raced well too.

[quote name='Daeric' post='1738338' date='Mar 30 2009, 13.52']What I'm really surprised with was the fact that there wasn't a stewards inquiry into the first turn mess that Barichello practically caused.

They penalised Vettel for his mini crash, but why not Barichello for big one.[/quote]

Are you sure that Vettel was penalised for the crash? I thought the penalty was for continuing to drive with a seriously damaged car, knowing that nobody could overtake him because of the safety car (he had to pull over eventually, but he still did it).

For once it would be nice to have a race where the results were decided by who crosses the line in a 1-2-3 order rather than stewards enquiries which go on for days and constantly change the race order (even if we eventually ended up with the same order as the race). I mean even Button and Barichello are 'provisional' until someone makes their mind up about difusers or whatever. Bloody farce and it just damages the image of the sport specially after all the uproar over the points system. This has potential to be a great season with a lot of different cars/teams in the mix and I hope they just sort this out rather than having board room slagging matches every five seconds. :angry:

Mind you sounds like McClaren have stuffed up again. Pity as Hamilton did a great damage limitation job on Sunday.

[quote name='Blue Roses' post='1742044' date='Apr 2 2009, 13.31']For once it would be nice to have a race where the results were decided by who crosses the line in a 1-2-3 order rather than stewards enquiries which go on for days and constantly change the race order (even if we eventually ended up with the same order as the race). I mean even Button and Barichello are 'provisional' until someone makes their mind up about difusers or whatever. Bloody farce and it just damages the image of the sport specially after all the uproar over the points system. This has potential to be a great season with a lot of different cars/teams in the mix and I hope they just sort this out rather than having board room slagging matches every five seconds. :angry:[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. In two weeks time, the result of the Australian GP could be:

1. Fernando Alonso, Renault
2. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso
3. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso
4. Adrian Sutil, Force India
5. Nick Heidfeld, Sauber
6. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India
7. Mark Webber, Red Bull
8. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull

Loras, your one eyed comments against Hamilton never cease to amaze me. Do we want further action? He and his team were implicit in this race, and they've been dealt with accordingly. Would you want a precedent set that means something happening in one race, that didn't cause a danger to safety, would affect a whole season?

The whole spying saga with Ferrari and McLaren was fair enough. They used that information for their car that was used for the entire season. But this is one comment, in one race. Why do you think Hamilton should be punished beyond losing his points and position for this race?

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1742739' date='Apr 2 2009, 15.18']Why do you think Hamilton should be punished beyond losing his points and position for this race?[/quote]

Because he dared to shatter the Alonso myth.

:thumbsup:

Well, Friday morning practice is underway in Sepang. I almost went to that race this time last year - I was just across the border in Thailand - but I would have missed a lot of much more unique things, and I feel I made the right choice now by the fact I got to go to Albert Park last weekend while riding elephants the weekend of the Sepang GP last year. Oh yeah.

Button fastest at the moment, over an hour in. Lots of the other drivers think we didn't see Brawn at full throttle last weekend - they just opened a gap with Button and then eased off to keep the gap comfortable, and they also think rain is the only thing that might negate Brawn's advantage. But IIRC Button's maiden win in Hungary was in the rain, so he's not too shabby in those conditions as it is.

ETA: But it's Rosberg fastest in practice again. Williams - Williams - Brawn - Brawn - Ferrari - Ferrari.

Hamilton managed to pump his McLaren into 7th despite his teammate being slowest in practice.

The whole saga did at one point seem to descend into a whole but he said, she said situation between McLaren and the Stewards.

McLaren reckon they should have a car thats more up to scratch around the Spanish Grand Prix, whcih should be good for getting even more drivers into the mix.

And the Malaysian Grand Prix finishes on a red flag and a fifty-minute wait to determine the result. Button wins, again, but takes half points. I'm now wondering what bizarrity is going to happen in China.

Archived