Formula One 2009 I

DJDonegal

What a joke. Not their fault really but still a joke. And even more of a joke that Button's dominating - again, can't blame him or Brawn, but other teams with superior drivers really need to pull finger out.

I'm well pissed off that Kubica blew up though, he's good in the rain usually. What a crap start to the season.

Not whose fault? It's definitely Ecclestone's fault. Everybody knew that it was going to rain. Apparently it always does at that hour during the Monsoon season. But who cares? Ecclestone wanted a start late in the afternoon for better TV ratings in Europe. I hope he's satisfied with the result.

Its extremely doubtful that it will start at that time again next year.

Hell its not like the bbc doesn't repeat it in the afternoon on One and has a highlight package on Three for the early start races.

The first half of the race was really, really good. Webber and Alonso battling it out, Rosbergs awesome start and Heidfelds lucky strategy. I liked that Ferrari took a chance with Raikkonen. Sure, putting on Full Wet tires too early didn't pay off, but it was a bold move.

The anticipation when the rain was going to start. The cars going into the pits and putting on slicks again, only to return one or laps later and putting on Full Wets, and then return once more again to put on Shallow Wets. Madness. I thought I was looking at a new classic race, something that would be talked about for years. Well, then the rain came and the race fizzled out.

Brawn continues to dominate, but the Toyota's were fast too. Red Bull and Williams were just below them. Nice :P

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1745732' date='Apr 5 2009, 20.24']The first half of the race was really, really good. Webber and Alonso battling it out, Rosbergs awesome start and Heidfelds lucky strategy. I liked that Ferrari took a chance with Raikkonen. Sure, putting on Full Wet tires too early didn't pay off, but it was a bold move.[/quote]

I'm still not quite sure how Heidfeld ended up in second, I guess he was lucky with his timing because we didn't really see much of him through the race. I think Glock possibly deserved the second-place more because he did drive very well and judged the strategy perfectly when it first started to rain and he was on the intermediates.

Raikkonen's strategy did seem a bit too reckless. IIRC he was in a point-scoring position at the time so there was no need to take such a huge risk as going out on full wets on a dry track (no matter what the satellite pictures were saying). Taking the risk with Massa, who was further back and out of the points, might have made more sense.

How much could losing Ross Brawn have hurt Ferrari? Brawn is a genius, anybody who follows F1 at all knows that, and his influence at Honda is finally having an effect on a car he could have some real input on. Plus the fact he now actually [i]owns[/i] the team. The Ferrari fadeaway in reliability started last year, and while they haven't lost their speed yet, speed means nothing if you can't finish the race in one piece.

As for the race itself, I didn't get to see any of it as I was working, and Australia have some strange rules on showing F1 races so I couldn't even find the bloody channel. Any Aussies in here be able to tell me where I can watch future races? Nine, Ten, Seven? Live, delayed??

Anyway, the race. Ecclestone is obviously a genius for having picked the time he did. That man has his head stuck so far up his bank balance he's forgotten the fundamentals of what makes a good race - actual racing.

What an ass.

[quote]As for the race itself, I didn't get to see any of it as I was working, and Australia have some strange rules on showing F1 races so I couldn't even find the bloody channel. Any Aussies in here be able to tell me where I can watch future races? Nine, Ten, Seven? Live, delayed??[/quote]

TenHD, now channel one. you'll need a HD digital tuner. they show the race live & qualifying live as well

A bit of a farcical end to what had been a really good race. How many times did Webber and Hamilton want to overtake each other? It seemed to happen every 10 seconds over a couple of laps. Good result for Button though. 1 GP win in his first 8/9 seasons, then two in a row. Brawn really is a genius. The car went well considering it had never really been tested in the rain.

[quote name='Rydel' post='1746474' date='Apr 6 2009, 10.14']Brawn really is a genius. The car went well considering it had never really been tested in the rain.[/quote]
That wasn't so much "rain" as an overflowing celestial bathtub. :P

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7985669.stm"]McLaren on the stand.[/url]

Yay for politics? Although it states Hamilton will personally not receive further action. Or at least is not expected to.

• 2 weeks later...

An incredibly exciting qualifying session for tomorrow's Chinese Grand Prix. Any one of 6 drivers could have taken the pole on that last run. Kudos to Vettel for taking only one run in each of the three qualifying sessions and putting together great laps with no mistakes each time. It was a risky tactic but it has paid off for him because not only is he starting on pole but it means he has a fresh set of super soft tyres for the race and I'm not sure anyone else has.

With both cars 1 and 2 in the 2nd session clearly Red Bull are performing well without the two tier diffuser design, when they do get that new aero package on the car they could be a serious challenger to Brawn. Also good to see Alonso getting up there in 2nd place, the new Renault package performed very well despite zero testing. But on the other hand Piquet was nowhere again. My feeling is his time in F1 will be pretty short, sadly he does not have the same level of talent as his father did.

Hamilton also did well getting the Mclaren into the third session for the first time this year. They have made a step forward but have some way to go before they can challenge for the podium. Ferrari on the other hand look in big trouble, lack of motivation from the drivers and not enough effort being put into development. It almost seems like they are giving up already and I think this is a management problem. I've got no confidence in Stefano Domenicali and I would be surprised if he keeps his job through this year into next season.

BMW are the other team falling away from the others right now. I think they will be rueing their decision to not push for the title last year, Kubica really could have mounted a serious challenge for it and all the development work they put into this years car just does not look like it is paying off. But then I guess they are not really that far off, the entire field is closer together than they have ever been and one small change can be the difference between being 18th and in the top three.

Should be an excting race tomorrow! :)

I think BMW have been slightly unlucky thus far. Despite his complaints in the first race Kubica could have won if he hadn't hit Vettel, he was gaining on Button fast enough, and unless it happens repeatedly over the season the engine problem last time was likely just a freak incident. I was surprised that they felt the situation was desperate enough to gamble with Kers, when they already clearly knew it wasn't likely to work.

Archived