Battlestar Galactica Thread #13

Matrim Fox Cauthon

I think my main disappointment with BSG was that Cottle wasn't the Final Cylon or even God. :)

If he had been the duex machina, then all would've been forgiven.

I would have forgiven them of ALL their slips if God had been Muffit from the original series. I would have forgiven them some of their mistakes if Jim Robinson (alan Dale) had been one of the final 5 too.

I think most people would agree with Wert in that it all went downhill after Exodus. Mention should also be made of the horrific love triangle/square they developed after exodus between starbuck,apollo, sam and dee. I ended up disliking all 4 of them becasue of that.

I would have forgiven them of ALL their slips if God had been Muffit from the original series. I would have forgiven them some of their mistakes if Jim Robinson (alan Dale) had been one of the final 5 too.

I think most people would agree with Wert in that it all went downhill after Exodus. Mention should also be made of the horrific love triangle/square they developed after exodus between starbuck,apollo, sam and dee. I ended up disliking all 4 of them becasue of that.

Oh god, that love quadrangle was awful. I especially remember it sucking up Taking a Break From All Your Worries, where we'd constantly switch between the climax of Baltar's character arc of the first three seasons (and some of my favourite moments of the show) to Kara staring at Apollo from across the bar. Actually, the quadrangle was particularly bad, but I think it's fair to say that any plotline involving Apollo after the first season was bad.

And yes, Doc Cottle completely deserved to be God. Or to get his own spinoff show, as someone pointed out in one of the finale discussion threads I've been reading over.

Quick question for those who've watched The Plan: Do they reveal who left the note for Adama in the miniseries saying that there are only twelve Cylon models, and similarly, who wrote "Cylon!" on Boomer's locker mirror at some point during season 1? It seemed like an interesting sub-plot they were setting up, but then they completely abandoned it. The only person in the fleet (besides the Cylons) who knew there were twelve was Baltar; he also discovered that Boomer was a Cylon, though I'm not sure if that's before or after Boomer finds the message on her mirror. Any luck?

Quick question for those who've watched The Plan: Do they reveal who left the note for Adama in the miniseries saying that there are only twelve Cylon models, and similarly, who wrote "Cylon!" on Boomer's locker mirror at some point during season 1? It seemed like an interesting sub-plot they were setting up, but then they completely abandoned it. The only person in the fleet (besides the Cylons) who knew there were twelve was Baltar; he also discovered that Boomer was a Cylon, though I'm not sure if that's before or after Boomer finds the message on her mirror. Any luck?

yes to the Boomer thing, altho its stupid as fuck.

then we got to the finale, one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen.

Can't agree more. I finished watching the last season a week ago. The end is absolute rubbish.

The writers ran out of ideas and ruined a good serie. Sometimes it's better to leave a series or book unfinished.

God? Really?

And Hera as our mitochondrial Eve was the last straw for me.

For me the very worst part of that finale was throwing away all the technology etc - as if every single one of the people would do that. Overall i have to agree with Wertheads post. There were moments in series 3 and 4 where it felt good again, but overall it became very mediocre. I find I can;t even watch the good early episodes anymore knowing how the characters and plot are going to turn to crap later on.

When BSG was still running, at one point Ron Moore said in an interview that it was Baltar who wrote the note to Adama about the 12 models.

Sadly, BSG not only dropped interesting subplots, they pretty much dropped the entire plot at the end. RDM always went for maximum shockeffect without having any kind of longterm vision for the series; kind off like a CEO who is only looking at the quarterly results (for his bonus) and driving the company into the abyss as far as longterm prospects go. BSG needed viewers to stay on air and big shocks apparently worked enough for that, but they also stopped any chance of having an even vaguely coherent tale. Starbuck's death and resurrection are prime examples. It got viewers hooked no doubt, but in the end RDM couldn't give any half- logical explanation whatsoever for what had happened and why.

Archived