Go Ahead and Date a Single Dad says CNN

Anatole Kuragin

Guest Raidne
[quote name='kiko' post='1744742' date='Apr 4 2009, 13.33']loss of short term memory, R? :P
The first replies dismiss the article thoroughly. Why should there be further argument once the discussion moved to an apparently much more interesting topic?[/quote]

Sorry, I meant the people who are taking the thread topic seriously, not the first few joke posts. It wasn't a serious critique or anything anyway. :)

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1744718' date='Apr 4 2009, 13.08']I read it, and I didn't think it was much more shallow than many others on the internet. Not so much as to warrent comment anyway. Besides, what can you say about the article? She was a dumb ho? Like thats interesting.[/quote]

I thought the first page of the thread was kind of funny. :dunno: And more interesting than the utterly predictable, point-proving part of the thread where people insulted each other. YMMV.

Guest Raidne
[quote name='tenalpia' post='1745756' date='Apr 5 2009, 15.49']I thought it led to a pretty balanced discussion with very little insulting going on...[/quote]

Agreed, that was probably the best part of the thread. Took a little bit to get there, but it was nice to read while it lasted.

[quote name='Jacen' post='1745598' date='Apr 5 2009, 17.54']Really what this thread about is just an expression of general angst and malaise towards the board for being what it is, [i]sometimes.[/i][/quote]

*shrug*

Still makes no sense. As I said, the characteristics you appear to be suggesting are peculiar to the board are actually pretty typical of any conversation. So much so as to make the act of pointing them out really sort of banal. If that was the original intention of the thread, it's pointless navel-gazing. It interests me very little, and actually says nothing whatsoever about the content of the thread. ETA - about which, I'd echo ten and Raidne.

[quote name='mormont' post='1745864' date='Apr 5 2009, 17.23']*shrug*

Still makes no sense. As I said, the characteristics you appear to be suggesting are peculiar to the board are actually pretty typical of any conversation. So much so as to make the act of pointing them out really sort of banal. If that was the original intention of the thread, it's pointless navel-gazing. It interests me very little, and actually says nothing whatsoever about the content of the thread. ETA - about which, I'd echo ten and Raidne.[/quote]

Navel gazing?

On the internet?

Say it ain't so!!!

I got hit on by a single father on the Metro yesterday.

At least I hope he was a single father, because if he was married, that would have been very creepy.

I thought of this thread, which may or may not be kind of sad.

I also thought that being a single father might be MORE effective in getting a date, in the sense that if a guy with kids in tow asks "do you want to come to the cherry blossom festival with us", you might be more likely to trust him not to murder you and dump your dead body in the Potomac in front of his kids. He looked way too old for me anyway.

[quote name='Brady' post='1746124' date='Apr 5 2009, 20.19']" in a river?"[/quote]

I try not to limit my potential dating pool by being so specific about the locale. It's hard enough to find the right guy that putting extra limits on it just seems silly to me.

Guest Raidne
[quote name='Brady' post='1746124' date='Apr 5 2009, 21.19']Does your dating criteria normally include the question "is he likely to murder me and dump my body in a river?"[/quote]

Hmmm....I think it's more like an evaluation of [i]any[/i] person who talks to you on the metro for whatever reason has to include that criterion.

[quote name='Brady' post='1746124' date='Apr 6 2009, 02.19']Does your dating criteria normally include the question "is he likely to murder me and dump my body in a river?"[/quote]

I have an overactive imagination - believe me that is one of the tamer possibilities that come to mind when a stranger decides to speak to me :P

[quote name='Eponine' post='1746115' date='Apr 5 2009, 20.09']I also thought that being a single father might be MORE effective in getting a date, in the sense that if a guy with kids in tow asks "do you want to come to the cherry blossom festival with us", [b]you might be more likely to trust him not to murder you and dump your dead body in the Potomac in front of his kids.[/b] He looked way too old for me anyway.[/quote]
Unless it's Roose Bolton, of course. ;)

[quote name='Eponine' post='1746115' date='Apr 5 2009, 21.09']I got hit on by a single father on the Metro yesterday.

At least I hope he was a single father, because if he was married, that would have been very creepy.

I thought of this thread, which may or may not be kind of sad.

I also thought that being a single father might be MORE effective in getting a date, in the sense that if a guy with kids in tow asks "do you want to come to the cherry blossom festival with us", [b]you might be more likely to trust him not to murder you and dump your dead body in the Potomac in front of his kids.[/b] He looked way too old for me anyway.[/quote]

That immediately made me think of a Criminal Minds episode, where a serial killer Dad uses his son to lure women into the house and even distract them so the father could subdue and prey on them and.. Well you get the picture.

Between the media and creepy shows like that. it's a wonder We don't all lock ourselves indoors and only use the Internet to communicate with others...wait :uhoh:

I hate to say this, but... I'm pretty sure that the only reason women don't have thoughts like that whenever they encounter me is the severe lack of rivers here in Arizona. I've been told more than once before (by close friends) that I can be extremely creepy at times and that I thoroughly creeped them out the first time that they ever met me... :unsure:

Archived