MLB Thread

Jaime L

In the pantheon of backup catchers, Greg Zaun may very well be the best of all time. Part time catchers ALWAYS suck ass, and for some reason Greg Zaun, just refuses to be that bad. He may be sucking in his primary backstop role for the first 50 ABs of 2009, but Zaun has consistantly sucked alot less then his counterparts. Plus hes a switch bat off the bench. Zaun has had some value for sure.

Thinking quickly on some (my era) longtime part time backstops:

Tom Pagnozzi, Jef Reed, Tyler Houston, Todd Pratt, John FlaRERTY, Brent Mayne, Eli Morrero, Javy Valentin, Chris Widger, Brook Fordyce, Ron Korkovice, Eddie the mitt Perez, Paul Bako and Kelly the mercenary Stinnet

Greg Zaun is the the creme of that crop, and these guys were the guys who where able to clear MLB checks for like over a decade. Im sure there are others, but Zaun does what he does better then basically anybody.

Tom Pagnozzi has 3 gold gloves, and was the starter when healthy for 5 years.

Tom Pagnozzi has 3 gold gloves, and was the starter when healthy for 5 years.

He averaged about 250 plate appearences over his 12 years. He only played in more then 92 games 3 times. Hes also a pretty bad player. Is Tom Pagnozzi a Card hero?

He averaged about 250 plate appearences over his 12 years. He only played in more then 92 games 3 times. Hes also a pretty bad player. Is Tom Pagnozzi a Card hero?

in 95 he got hurt and 94 was well 94. Just saying from 91-96 he was considered the starter.

eta- regarding the hero bit, he's respected but i think Matheny is better regarded for all glove no hit catchers, mainly do the the winning.

eta- regarding the hero bit, he's respected but i think Matheny is better regarded for all glove no hit catchers, mainly do the the winning.

Always nice to get a look inside the thoughts of the best fans in baseball.

If D Lee didnt suck ass Id feel great about the lineup right now.

How 'bout them Blue Jays?! Gotta get my gloating out of the way before they fall apart post All-Star break, but this is a damn sight better than the doom-and-gloom scenario I was predicting a few weeks back (or a few pages back, depending on how you reckon time).

Oliver Perez pitched an inning where he gave up one run, and his era went down

sigh...

After today, I'd be surprised if they keep him in the rotation. Hell, even Niese has got to be looking better than Ollie at this point. His record against the Phillies is presumably what they signed him for and now he can't even win against them. What a waste.

Archived