MLB Thread

Jaime L

Nationals Free Agent signee, Julian Tavarez:

[quote]“Why did I sign with the Nationals?” Tavarez said told a group of reporters. “When you go to a club at 4 in the morning, and you’re just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J. Lo. And to me this is Jennifer Lopez right here. It’s 4 in the morning. Too much to drink. So, Nationals: Jennifer Lopez to me.”[/quote]

You hear that? We're the J-Lo of baseball teams.

I'll be joining you all for this upcoming MLB season. Team of choice - Yankees. I also have a fondness for the Jays (grew up liking them before I really understood the game), and I watch a lot of Cubs games because they play in the daytime a lot.

So bring on opening day tomorrow!

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1744803' date='Apr 4 2009, 13.44']Nationals Free Agent signee, Julian Tavarez:

You hear that? We're the J-Lo of baseball teams.[/quote]

What a fantastic quote even though it makes no sense to me.

VikingBeard, always nice to have another Yankees' fan around. Far too many Sox and Cubs fans here. I think it's just groz and me for the Yanks.

[quote name='VikingBeard' post='1744807' date='Apr 4 2009, 13.48']I'll be joining you all for this upcoming MLB season. Team of choice - Yankees. I also have a fondness for the Jays (grew up liking them before I really understood the game), and I watch a lot of Cubs games because they play in the daytime a lot.

So bring on opening day tomorrow![/quote]
You grew up liking the Jays and then after understanding the game you started to root for the Yankees?

Can't remember a season where I felt like I had less to look forward to as a Padres fan.
Maybe the year after the 1993 fire sale. But this is probably worse. Especially being in San Francisco and seeing the Giants doing it exactly the way I wish the Padres were (sans the Zito deal).

I have high hopes for my Mariners. By which I mean that by an incredible stroke of luck, we may actually get back to being a .500 club.

Of course, Ichiro's in the 15-day DL, but he is scheduled to come off it on the day that I go to see a game. So.

I wonder if the Red Sox can make a comeback from the mess that was 2008. No, no. I forgot. They were fine, it was the year that sucked.

I haven't had much interest in following them at all because 2009 so far has been an even worse year {if such a thing was possible}; Opening day is Monday and I don't even know the pitching rotation beyond the fact it doesn't include Buchholz.

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1745207' date='Apr 4 2009, 22.17']I wonder if the Red Sox can make a comeback from the mess that was 2008. No, no. I forgot. They were fine, it was the year that sucked.

I haven't had much interest in following them at all because 2009 so far has been an even worse year {if such a thing was possible}; Opening day is Monday and I don't even know the pitching rotation beyond the fact it doesn't include Buchholz.[/quote]
Are we talking about the same Red Sox team? Is this completely facetious? I don't know whether to be appalled or sympathetic or what.

Probably the first.

I am pretty stoked about this year for baseball. Maybe because I get to go to games again, even if it is in Korea. But one of the local teams is also the Twins, my team back home.

The MN Twins have a good shot this year. Our pitching just keeps on truckin, not really sure how. As long as Kubel and provide some offense to help out Morneau and if we get some production from our outfield, we'll be a contender. Oh, if we get even 3/4 season from Mauer, we'll be the team to beat. Unless Cleveland has really improved. It seems like the White Sox are just aging too fast, won't be able to keep up for a full season with the youth we have.

Any bets on how long before Peter Angelos starts messing with the Orioles' rebuilding program, thereby setting them back another half-decade?

I root for the Blue Jays. Need I say anything else? Simmons was speculating on his podcast about how soon Halladay will be on the trade market. Ugh.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1745121' date='Apr 4 2009, 20.19']I have memories of when Tavarez was a Cardinal. They are not fond memories.[/quote]

I remember him coming out of the Cubs bullpen. Fun times. Fun times. (No. Not really.)

Archived