You know what grinds my gears?

I want to get some frustrations out that I can't get out in every day life. I urge all of you to indulge your bitchy sides since most of us don't complain at work or to the people in our lives.

You know what grinds my gears?

1. Old people who say "diss". You know, older than 30. I don't think we should go around saying "diss". Like that middle aged "PHD" on Bill O'Reilly who must be called "Doctor." When she says someone got "dissed" I my gears are ground.

2. "Phone tag." I don't know why but when people say that on my voicemail "oh hey you, guess we're playing phone tag." I typically never call that person back. Unless they're hot. Which never happens to me.

3. And while we're at it "hey you" is something I don't want to hear. Don't call me and say "hey you." I'll hang up the fucking phone. Unless you're hot. Which never happens. (I measure hotness by personality by the way).

4. My mentor teacher treating me like one of her 8th grade students. When I was getting ready to present something to some fellow teachers last week she actually told me "write an outline." I politely said this isn't that kind of presentation. She said: "Write the outline. Now."

5. Blue balls. I've heard they're just an excuse for horny guys to guilt girls into having sex, but man for a lousy excuse they sure cause a pain that wraps up into my stomach.

6. Doctors handing out 5mg vicodin, instead of 10mg. Fuck you and your "I don't wanna get you addicted" attitudes. I'm in pain. I'm going to take 2 of your 5mg pussy tablets anyway. Let me do it without killing my liver with 1000 mg of tylenol mixed in.

Thanks.

Some words really grind my gears. Ginormous: it's enormous or gigantic, fuck you for mixing the two. Discombobulated: big words don't always make you sound smart, this one makes you sound stupid. Disorientated: it's "disoriented" FFS, get it right.

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1754136' date='Apr 13 2009, 21.47']3. And while we're at it "hey you" is something I don't want to hear. Don't call me and say "hey you." I'll hang up the fucking phone. Unless you're hot. Which never happens. (I measure hotness by personality by the way).[/quote]
The worst is when you answer the phone and the person on the other end asks "who's this?". [i]You[/i] called [i]me[/i] asshole, who the fuck are you!

And while we're on the subject of phone calls, I hate it when a telemarketer calls and acts all like he's one of your friends before finally dropping his pitch on you.

Or when a telemarketer calls and claims that he has looked at his "records" and knows that he can give me a better rate on my mortgage. My house is free and clear. I want to know exactly how his "records" indicate that he can give me a better rate on my mortgage when I don't have a fucking mortgage!

On the subject of blue balls: just beat off for Christ's sake. Problem solved.

Blue balls, haha. I explained to my roommates the other night what that was, completely grossed them out.

I hate people that don't obey traffic laws. Like when I am driving and reach a T intersect and some fool thinks I am going to stop and let him go even though I'm on the through road. Or when drivers stop on the cross walks, where the heck are pedestrians supposed to walk? Or don't know how to figure out right of way at a four way stop, or can't figure out the simplified round about signs, and especially people that drive below the speed limit in good weather.

More people need to fail these tests.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754157' date='Apr 14 2009, 06.19']Disorientated: it's "disoriented" FFS, get it right.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that 'disorientated' is correct in the UK, at least. I never hear anyone say 'disoriented'.

For me, today, what grinds my gears is people who don't have any simple common courtesy. If you decide against showing up for a meeting, let the other person know, for crying out loud! You don't leave them sitting waiting for you for two hours while you chill at home!

Grr!

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754157' date='Apr 14 2009, 06.19']Disorientated: it's "disoriented" FFS, get it right.[/quote]

Either is acceptable, actually. 'Disoriented' just sounds clumsy and odd to me, but that could be a cultural thing.

[quote]The worst is when you answer the phone and the person on the other end asks "who's this?". [i]You[/i] called [i]me[/i] asshole, who the fuck are you![/quote]

I called that number: doesn't mean I have any clue who picked up the 'phone, does it? If you call my office, it could be any one of a number of people. ;)

Also, we're not seriously whinging about 'blue balls', are we? Come on, guys. At worst it's an ache, comparable to cramp. It's not a crippling injury or anything.

[quote name='mormont' post='1754268' date='Apr 14 2009, 03.07']Either is acceptable, actually. 'Disoriented' just sounds clumsy and odd to me, but that could be a cultural thing.[/quote]
Disorientated is every bit as stupid sounding as aluminium.

So, right side of the pond, and all that.

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1754136' date='Apr 14 2009, 00.47']1. [b]Old people[/b] who say "diss". You know, [b]older than 30[/b]. I don't think we should go around saying "diss". Like that middle aged "PHD" on Bill O'Reilly who must be called "Doctor." When she says someone got "dissed" I my gears are ground.[/quote]

This.

Over 30 is not 'Old'.

I dislike it when a person calls you. and they don't have anything to say and expect you to carry the conversation.
it goes something like

[i]Them[/i]: Hi
[i]Me[/i]: Hi, how are you?
[i]Them[/i]: Good
[i]Me[/i]: Cool,..what have you been up to?
[i]Them[/i]: Nothing.
[i]pause to see if they say anything else.[/i]
[i]Me[/i]: Hows the family?
[i]Them[/i]: Good
[i]Awkward pause[/i]
[i]Me[/i]: ah that's good, been ages since we've all caught up
[i]Them[/i]: Yeah I spose.
[i]Me[/i]: Um was there something you were calling for?
[i]Them[/i]: Nah, just seeing how you are.
[i]Me[/i]: oh we are all good.
[i]Tell random story to try to further conversation.[/i]
[i]Them[/i]: ah ok
[i]awkward pause[/i]
[i]Me[/i]: Well i guess I better go
[i]Them[/i]: Yep, bye.

Always left with a sense of WTF was that about? maybe it's just me. But I don't call someone unless I have something to say to them.

I refuse to loan out books and DVDs, because I have been burnt to many times.
But before what really got to me.

[b]DVDs[/b]
1) It gets given back a couple of month later and it's all scratched up and won't play anymore
2) It's been ages, so you ask for it back.. and they tell you they loaned it out to one of their friends.
3) You happen to be over their house, and see your disc just laying on the floor out of the cover in amongst other discs getting all scratched up.
4) after about 5 months you ask for it back and they say. nah I gave that back to you ages ago.

[b]Books[/b]
About the same as DVDs. except if you get them back, they are all dog eared and stained or the covers have been torn off. etc
or your over their place and you witness some kind of abuse or another being visited upon your book.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754157' date='Apr 14 2009, 06.19']Disorientated: it's "disoriented" FFS, get it right.[/quote]What? Does everyone on the board live in the US then? If I spell colour with a 'u' does that mean I can't spell and need to 'FFS, get it right' as well?

[quote name='Isis' post='1754319' date='Apr 14 2009, 07.57']What? Does everyone on the board live in the US then? If I spell colour with a 'u' does that mean I can't spell and need to 'FFS, get it right' as well?[/quote]
Yes, assimilate or die :pirate:

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1754332' date='Apr 14 2009, 13.29']It has nothing to do with American or British English. Disorientated is the past tense form of the verb disorientate, which is also a fucking useless word as far as I can tell. Disoriented is the proper adjective.[/quote]

You're half right, at best. It's true that it isn't strictly a 'US variant' thing. like spelling 'colour' without the 'u', although 'disoriented' is apparently more common in the US. However, as I have said, in both British and American English 'disorientated' are regarded as acceptable and therefore both have as much claim to be the 'proper adjective'.

You might not like the use of 'disorientated', but hey, I don't like 'disoriented'. Us not liking them doesn't make either of them incorrect.

[quote name='mormont' post='1754337' date='Apr 14 2009, 07.36']You're half right, at best. It's true that it isn't strictly a 'US variant' thing. like spelling 'colour' without the 'u', although 'disoriented' is apparently more common in the US. However, as I have said, in both British and American English 'disorientated' are regarded as acceptable and therefore both have as much claim to be the 'proper adjective'.

You might not like the use of 'disorientated', but hey, I don't like 'disoriented'. Us not liking them doesn't make either of them incorrect.[/quote]

What purpose does that extra syllable serve? Why is it that the preferred British English word always has an extra syllable or letter? It's quite inefficient if you ask me. But then, you do prefer cricket to baseball.

I guess I should clarify the blue balls thing--I don't think it's up to any woman anywhere in the world to cure me of my blue balls when I'm more than happy to do it myself. I just hate it when it happens.

And this thread is a symptom of me drinking alone last night. I should have just posted in the drinking alone thread.

And thirty isn't old? I feel old. Oh well, I guess I just hate the word "diss" but mostly when our local sports writer uses it when talking about Jay Cutler.

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1754339' date='Apr 14 2009, 13.40']What purpose does that extra syllable serve? Why is it that the preferred British English word always has an extra syllable or letter? It's quite inefficient if you ask me. But then, you do prefer cricket to baseball.[/quote]

Hey, cricket was actually the number one sport in North America until the Civil War I'll have you know. Baseball took over in popularity because it was much easier for Civil War soldiers to have an impromptu game of that than cricket. True story

to the OP, I'm wondering 5 and 6 are related...

and to things I dislike, when a group of people sit around and all agree that something needs to get done but never actually get any further along the road to doing it or even agree who should do it. And then you get all annoyed and take it upon yourself to do it, and everything ends up getting dumped on you. Been having quite a bit of that lately

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1754339' date='Apr 14 2009, 13.40']What purpose does that extra syllable serve? Why is it that the preferred British English word always has an extra syllable or letter? It's quite inefficient if you ask me. But then, you do prefer cricket to baseball.[/quote]

Because we're not afraid of words with more than two syllables?

You can also insert "just about any sport" where you put cricket and it would still be correct.

Things that annoy me:

1. Rude people

2. People who can't drive for shit

3. People in supermarkets (often overlapping with 1 and 2)

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1754340' date='Apr 14 2009, 08.46']And thirty isn't old? I feel old. Oh well, I guess I just hate the word "diss" but mostly when our local sports writer uses it when talking about [b]Jay Cutler[/b].[/quote]

This.

As an all my life Bronco fan-this entire situation grinds my gears.

Archived