You know what grinds my gears?

Cimon,

Fine. If people want to drink cheap beer from cans that's there call. However, doesn't it make them just as snobby for disliking people who prefer craft beer?

If that is indeed their reason for disliking someone, then yes it sure does.

So basically, we should all just crack our beers of choice and kick back.

I tend to agree. When I'm in the DC area I often visit a wonderful and magical place known as Total Wine. Its a booze store, obviously with lots of wine, but they also have a great beer selection and almost all of it is imported or microbrewed. I love that place. I try to go in there around once or twice a month to stock up on the good stuff. Additionally, they have a knowledgeable staff, so when an unrefined ametuer like myself attempts to bring wine to a dinner party.. they've got me covered.

I say all that simply to state that I thoroughly and fully appreciate a high quality alcoholic beverage. And with that said, red labeled Budweiser and Coors Light remain two of my favorite beers. It is a bit annoying when I'm sitting at a bar somewhere enjoying a cold taste of Rocky Mountain freshness and someone decides to lecture me on the glories of microbrews and imports. Especially if they do so by comparing my beer to piss, which is not uncommon in such discussions. Its like.. dude.. I know about those beers. I ordered this becuase its what I wanted. Please mind your own beer, sir.

ETA: And don't get me started on those fucking Chimay glasses they give you at bars, which I think I've complained about here before.

S John,

I like the different glasses for different beers. But to each their own.

Yea I think that most people do. And that is the way its supposed to be served.

I realize that I'm the one being wierd on that one. But, damnit, that doesn't mean I have to like it!

People who can't learn from past experience.

(I'm sure I'm abusing the privilege of posting on this thread)

We have branches that continually do the same thing (I work in a bank) even though I send the emails asking the same questions. You would think they would learn to find a way to avoid my emails. Important lesson for them, it's even less fun for me than it is for you, you idiots! If you could only follow your procedures, you wouldn't get emails from me. Or, if you would remember what I emailed about the last time, you would try to avoid having me email you about that yet again.

Maybe the like to mess up my day, in which case it's yet another item that grinds my gears.

Oh, and as for the beer dispute, I have some beers I dislike, but that doesn't mean others can't like them. As long as we can all aknowledge a right to have different tastes in beverages, we can all be friends. Peace among the beer factions? :)

Dackad,

So, does not liking beer that tastes like horse piss and has about the same color and consistency count?

So, what irritates me is people who get irritated because someone else likes something of quality and enjoys talking about the items of quality they enjoy.

For example:

"If Bud Light from a can is good enough for me it should be good enough for everyone. Those fucking 'hipsters' talking about their craft beers are just snobs." If it irritates you, don't read the thread or don't participate in the conversations about those things.

I don't care what you like, just don't judge me or other people for what I like. I don't judge people for liking sauerkraut even though I can't stand the stuff.

This really seems a weird thing to get obnoxious about in a thread about 'things that grind your gears.' :)

I don't think it was intentional but you are doing a pretty much perfect job representing the type of snob he was talking about. He didn't say "I hate people who drink quality or micro brewed beers," he said its annoying when they look down on him for buying whatever it is he happens to enjoy. Your comments could be turned right back on you. Don't like cheap beer in a can? Avoid threads where they're being discussed.

So basically, we should all just crack our beers of choice and kick back.

Exactly.

I drink microbrews, I'm just not a dick about it. Not everyone has the same preferences as I do so why make a big deal about something that affects me not at all?

Movie previews. All of them. No matter how much I might like the genuine film, I have very rarely seen a trailer without lightning-fast scenes flashing totally out of any reasonable order, and the classically deep narrator's voice pompously extolling the virtues of the plot, usually including the phrase "fulfill his destiny" or a close variation thereof.

:thumbsdown: people who walk into a tea shop saying "i'm looking for this this tea i got last time and i really liked it but i forgot the name"

fair enough, these things happen. so you start to ask questions:

-"was it a black tea or a green tea?"

"oh i dont know"

- "so was it a plain tea or was it flavoured with something?"

"not sure"

-"ok, so what was the colour of the liquor when it came out?"

-"i dont remember"

- "hmm..well can you descrive the taste for me?"

"oh gosh i dont remember, i just really liked it"

seriously, how can you run through at least 20 cups worth of something and NOT remember what it tastes like...too hard basket for you stupid :spank:

Guest Other-in-Law

:thumbsdown: people who walk into a tea shop saying "i'm looking for this this tea i got last time and i really liked it but i forgot the name"

(snip)

Terry Pratchett had something very similar, with librarians primarily trying to help people asking about books whose names they didn't know: "The cover was red and it turned out they were twins. Do you have it?"

Underwear.

Shaving my armpits.

Phoniness.

Glow in the dark white teeth.

If someone interupts while singing to tell me to stop because I can't sing.

The dipshits who think they're intellectual superior.

People who are afraid to weird/themselves.

When someone talks to me while I'm talking to myself.

Archived