Dating

Guest Raidne

[quote name='tzanth' post='1757660' date='Apr 16 2009, 18.22']I've never liked the term "dating." To me it implies a relationship built on a degree of traditionalist structure and all the sexist connotations that go along with it. It's like your giving into the system or something. :smoking:

ETA:

Exactly my point! "Dating" has strong connotations of stereotyped gender roles and is thus a word I prefer to avoid.[/quote]

The smoking face guy means you're joking right?

Guest Raidne
[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1757809' date='Apr 16 2009, 22.10']The smoking face guy means you're joking right?[/quote]

For me, the smoking smiley means that you are basking in the glory of your own cleverness. YMMV.

People, if you go on a date with someone, you are now dating. It's simple English. Case closed. I don't get what the deal is, truly. I always used the phrases "this guy I'm seeing" and "this guy I'm dating" interchangeably. Whether or not I've seen penis was really not a variable, although I will admit that if the potential for a penis sighting at some point was not a possibility, then it wouldn't be a date. It would be hanging out. Because that's what I do with my platonic male friends. Hang out.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1757862' date='Apr 17 2009, 13.18']For me, the smoking smiley means that you are basking in the glory of your own cleverness. YMMV.

People, if you go on a date with someone, you are now dating. It's simple English. Case closed. I don't get what the deal is, truly. I always used the phrases "this guy I'm seeing" and "this guy I'm dating" interchangeably. Whether or not I've seen penis was really not a variable, although [b]I will admit that if the potential for a penis sighting at some point was not a possibility, then it wouldn't be a date.[/b] It would be hanging out. Because that's what I do with my platonic male friends. Hang out.[/quote]

I knew I was on to something. Call it Penis or promise thereof.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1757862' date='Apr 16 2009, 20.18']People, if you go on a date with someone, you are now dating.[/quote]

That is [i]not[/i] simple English. :P "-ing" implies a continuous process. If you just went on one date with someone, it is a single event. As soon as you make a habit of it, that is "dating". But if I just went on one date, and then decided I didn't like them, how am I "dating" them? :unsure:

[quote name='Raidne' post='1757862' date='Apr 16 2009, 20.18']For me, the smoking smiley means that you are basking in the glory of your own cleverness. YMMV.

People, if you go on a date with someone, you are now dating. It's simple English. Case closed. I don't get what the deal is, truly. I always used the phrases "this guy I'm seeing" and "this guy I'm dating" interchangeably. Whether or not I've seen penis was really not a variable, although I will admit that if the potential for a penis sighting at some point was not a possibility, then it wouldn't be a date. It would be hanging out. Because that's what I do with my platonic male friends. Hang out.[/quote]
So if you are hanging out with a friend, and you believe it to be platonic, but he thinks he might see some vag. Or vice versa, you think you have the chance to see penis, but he is thinking it is only a platonic get together. Would this be a consideration of a date?

Loathe as I generally am to rely upon the social constructs of my non-nerd peers who have descended upon the internet like a plague of locusts, I find that this question is very easily settled by falling back on one of their phrases, which is full of utility:

"It's not official until it's Facebook official."

If we expand upon the thought, we can see that this covers the necessary bases. One cannot be "in a relationship" (dating) with someone else without that person's approval, and often the Facebook status update is preceded by a "what are we" conversation so that neither party makes an update that goes south in a short period of time (because nobody wants to be that idiot who's gushing about the great guy/girl they've met only to be unceremoniously dumped a week later). If either party does not feel the thing merits a Facebooking, then that settles that, and the poor soul who wants to be dating and has been spurned (probably the dude) can set "It's Complicated" in order to milk sympathy out of his friends. Problem solved.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1757711' date='Apr 16 2009, 20.03']As a sexual person[/quote]

:lol: or :cry: whichever is appropriate.

Anyway, I use the word 'dating' to define an actual relationship. If I've just been out with some girl a time or two then I wouldn't say that we're 'dating.' I dunno, it but seems like one of those words that has lost its original meaning and now means something else.

Someone up-thread said it, I think it was JL, but the term 'dating' is now used to mean 'going steady' or some other cute antiquated term, when, strictly speaking, the definition of dating is probably something less than that. Still, I wouldn't tell others that I was 'dating' someone that I didn't consider to be an SO, but you can certainly go on dates with people who are not an SO. *head explodes*

Just one of those things I guess... you know it when you see it.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1757917' date='Apr 17 2009, 01.25']"It's not official until it's Facebook official."

If we expand upon the thought, we can see that this covers the necessary bases. One cannot be "in a relationship" (dating) with someone else without that person's approval, and often the Facebook status update is preceded by a "what are we" conversation so that neither party makes an update that goes south in a short period of time (because nobody wants to be that idiot who's gushing about the great guy/girl they've met only to be unceremoniously dumped a week later). If either party does not feel the thing merits a Facebooking, then that settles that, and the poor soul who wants to be dating and has been spurned (probably the dude) can set "It's Complicated" in order to milk sympathy out of his friends. Problem solved.[/quote]

That reminds me. I'm 'bout to delete that shit.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1757862' date='Apr 16 2009, 20.18']For me, the smoking smiley means that you are basking in the glory of your own cleverness. YMMV.

People, if you go on a date with someone, you are now dating. It's simple English. Case closed. I don't get what the deal is, truly. I always used the phrases "this guy I'm seeing" and "this guy I'm dating" interchangeably. Whether or not I've seen penis was really not a variable, although I will admit that if the potential for a penis sighting at some point was not a possibility, then it wouldn't be a date. It would be hanging out. Because that's what I do with my platonic male friends. Hang out.[/quote]

But would you say you’re wooing, courting, or pursuing them? Honestly everyone has different connotations to words. I can understand why people associate "dating" with a more committed or traditional relationship then the one they view them selves as having, hence why the don't like it.

Even if you have your own definition of what dating does or doesn't mean, it's worthwhile to consider what other people will assume when you "I've been dating so and so"- at least if you like to have uncomplicated conversations with other people.

What I've found is that if I say that, even if what I MEAN is "we've had dinner a few times and a little bit of interest but have no commitment and are free to see other peopl", what other HEAR is "they're exclusive" or at least "she's really into him".

In fact, I find very few people who are able to date multiple people in a non-serious way at one time, whether it's because they get attached too fast, don't think that's the way dating relationships should be, or face opposition from the people they might have dated. I think that's too bad. I've hardly ever gotten asked out by a guy who wasn't interested in moving pretty quickly toward exclusivity. If he wanted to date, he wanted to move toward a more serious relationship (not like getting married, but one where a lot of exclusive time was spent together)- almost the only other kind of interest was for one night stands.

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1757715' date='Apr 16 2009, 17.08']I prefer to call it chillaxing.[/quote]

Your on notice Limey. :pirate: This war needs to be fought and you need to think long and hard what side you want to be on. The Word is evil and most be destroyed.

[quote name='The Mance']I'd guess that its for the same reason that guys have trouble assigning a title to female aquaintances that they are friendly with.[/quote]

Just call everyone "mate". Makes everything easy.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1757809' date='Apr 16 2009, 18.10']The smoking face guy means you're joking right?[/quote]

Only partially. Dating is a word with considerable historical baggage and does imply a certain degree of structure and traditionalism in a relationship. I far prefer using terms such as "going out," "together," or "seeing."

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1757789' date='Apr 17 2009, 02.37']I do concede exactly that. I just wish that most of the women that I meet would better communicate what their definitions are at the beginning. I am the everything up front, lay it all on the table, brutally honest about myself and my intentions kind of guy. I'm as open about the intimate details of my inner-most thoughts and experiences when dealing with strangers that I've just met as I am on these boards (truth being told, I bite my metaphorical tongue a lot in these boards).[/quote]

Do you by any chance have a hard time getting a girlfriend?

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1758049' date='Apr 17 2009, 12.45']Raidne,

If the word doesn't exist lets make one that does. I say we pick a random word like "Kanodeling."[/quote]

that's not random! it's far too close to [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=canoodling"]canoodling[/url] - which happens to be a very good word :D

Archived