Dating

Guest Raidne

Tenalpia,

[quote name='tenalpia' post='1758054' date='Apr 17 2009, 07.51']that's not random! it's far too close to [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=canoodling"]canoodling[/url] - which happens to be a very good word :D[/quote]

Okay, kanodel doesn't work. How about Webleflexing? "Well, Rita and I have been webleflexing for about three weeks now. I'm not sure whether were going to get serious or not."

[quote name='Kat' post='1757707' date='Apr 17 2009, 10.28']"Doing problem sets with a girl doesn't count as a date, moron."[/quote]

Depends on the girl. :)

"we're dating but it isn't serious."

"we're dating, she's seen my penis and she didn't call the fuzz."

what i'm getting at is that it is quite alright to use a follow up phrase or sentence to specify exactly how far the dating rabbit hole that you've fallen.

[quote name='Kat' post='1757707' date='Apr 16 2009, 19.58']Or maybe, "Doing problem sets with a girl doesn't count as a date, moron."[/quote]
Depends on the textbook. Problem sets out of [i]Mechanics and Statics[/i]*, maybe not. But problem sets out of the [i]Kama Sutra[/i]?

*Uh ... nevermind. I picked a bad example. It has all that stuff about concentrated loads, spans, radius of gyration ...

Several times in my life have I meditated about this strange cultural habit of 'dating' that the Americans are said to practice. I never managed to form a clear concept in my mind for 'dating'. And I know other Germans who also do know the word, but can't really grasp the meaning. Now I learn that the Americans obviously have a similar problem... :lol:

If we make one word (referring to [i]date[/i]/[i]dating[/i]) carry as much meaning, as you're trying to burden it with, we might as well abolish sentences, phrases and so on ...

Employing the "n" system:

n<5 = going out with / hanging out with (casual relationship, might end up as friends)

n>5 = dating / going on a date with / having a date with / <invent more yourself, using the word "date">

To conclude the answer to the original author's question - the reason some guys might freak out because you used this word is because n was <5. Furthermore some guys are either stupid, scared of commitment or looking for something else in a girl.

P.S. Forgot to mention the term "first date". Sometimes the first time you go out with someone can be referred to as a [i]date[/i], however this is usually when you have either known each other for a while before, but you are only now deciding to go out officially or you are over 30 :P.

Ehh, I'm more inclined to agree with you, Raidne.

Dating implies going out on dates, where both parties know it's a date.

Going steady is the BF/GF exclusive thing.

That grey area before dating, where neither one is quite sure, I think of that as courting.

And, because I think it's fitting for this thread, courtesy of xkcd....

[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/boyfriend.png[/img]

[Edit] Why isn't the image tag working? Here's the link to the site - [url="http://www.xkcd.com/539/"]xkcd - "Boyfriend"[/url] [/Edit]

[quote name='CiaranAnnrach' post='1758219' date='Apr 17 2009, 09.05'][Edit] Why isn't the image tag working? Here's the link to the site - [url="http://www.xkcd.com/539/"]xkcd - "Boyfriend"[/url] [/Edit][/quote]

I've been wasting way too much time at work making graphs/doing stats lately. I love that. Thank you.

[quote name='CiaranAnnrach' post='1758219' date='Apr 17 2009, 11.05']That grey area before dating, where neither one is quite sure, I think of that as courting.[/quote]

In, uh, certain other circles, "courting" means something entirely different...

date: two people of potential attractedness to each other spending time to explore the possibility of future communication "Yeah, Sheila and I went out on a date, went well but not sure if we will see each other again, got a date with Marcie on Saturday so we will see how that goes."

Date: two people of confirmed attractedness spending time continuing to explore the possibility of consistent future negotiations "Oh, it's Friday, Date Night with Mark...yeah, been 3 months all ready"

dating: a person who is currently a free agent making use of dates to meet and learn of others - potential to limit dates to one person or have on going dates with multiple people but no commitment to exclusivity 'Ya know, just not sure I want to commit to a person right now, I'm just enjoying dating and getting to meet people"

Dating: A person who is currently spending time with a specific person making use of Dates to learn of a particular person and their wants/needs/penis "Yes, Jo and I have been Dating for 12 weeks, 3 days, 9 hours and 4 minutes and it's been great, still kind of in the "honeymoon period" but we're getting a long great. Meet the family this weekend"

scam: a person maneuvering him/herself to be near a particular person s/he is attracted to in order to get the others attention to set up the potential of a date "Dianne Court is going to be at the mall Saturday? Oh, I gotta get there and see if I can catch up with her at the food court..."

Lusting: BwB get togethers, bars "nice shoes, wanna debate R+L=J?"

[quote name='Eponine' post='1758251' date='Apr 17 2009, 10.33']In, uh, certain other circles, "courting" means something entirely different...[/quote]

What other circles? As far as I've known, I'm one of the very few, if not the only person to ever actually use the term, along with courtship. Perhaps I've just been running in the wrong social circles.

But the whole act of courtship begins when one party attempts to gain another party's attentions. In old days, courtship more or less encompassed the entire spectrum, from the initial flirty looks to proposal for marriage. Though, I guess I should limit it to dating with the intent towards the possibility of marriage. But that would still apply to me, because I don't date people because I'm bored - that's just mean to the person you're with.

[quote name='CiaranAnnrach' post='1758280' date='Apr 17 2009, 16.55']As far as I've known, I'm one of the very few, if not the only person to ever actually use the term[/quote]

It was my old granny's favourite euphemism for when she wanted to embarrass any teenage/adult grandchildren. "So, are ye courtin'?" *lewd wink*

[quote name='mormont' post='1758289' date='Apr 17 2009, 17.07']It was my old granny's favourite euphemism for when she wanted to embarrass any teenage/adult grandchildren. "So, are ye courtin'?" *lewd wink*[/quote]

Shit, it would appear we are related. :stunned:

[quote name='CiaranAnnrach' post='1758280' date='Apr 17 2009, 11.55']What other circles? As far as I've known, I'm one of the very few, if not the only person to ever actually use the term, along with courtship. Perhaps I've just been running in the wrong social circles.

But the whole act of courtship begins when one party attempts to gain another party's attentions. In old days, courtship more or less encompassed the entire spectrum, from the initial flirty looks to proposal for marriage. Though, I guess I should limit it to dating with the intent towards the possibility of marriage. But that would still apply to me, because I don't date people because I'm bored - that's just mean to the person you're with.[/quote]

LOL. In some evangelical/fundamentalist Christian circles, people are supposed to be "courting" not "dating". In theory, people- especially young adults- are supposed to be getting to know one another in a group setting (always being in a group keeps you from sexual temptation as well), and then a young man who likes a young woman asks her to start "courting" him (and asks her father for permission to do so). They're expected to spend a lot of time with each other's families during that time. Many of them consider dating (and breaking up) to be "practice for divorce".

I think it's a generally good idea in theory when teenagers are going out more in groups of friends than latching onto one person exclusively. But the problem with this model is that often in real life, once two kids, maybe at 16 or 17, start courting, they are basically considered pre-engaged by their families and friends. IMO, that makes the relationship even more difficult to get out of if one person decides that they don't want to get married to the other. I've personally seen kids get pressured by their family to stay in a relationship.

It's kind of hard to explain, but it's definitely the first thing I think of when I hear the word courting. Go google "I kissed dating goodbye".

This thread is born of a chat dispute- another attempt by Raidne to label me as a prudish Midwesterner. I claimed that saying you are "dating" someone indicates to me some level of seriousness and degree of fidelity.

AND

Survey says, I'm right. Dating indeed has a somewhat serious connotation to it, sayeth the board. Raidne asks what do you call the period before that? You don't call it ANYTHING. There's a reason for that- neither of the two parties [i]wants[/i] to discuss or label it or address anything heavy at that point!

[quote name='Kat' post='1757871' date='Apr 16 2009, 20.44']That is [i]not[/i] simple English. :P "-ing" implies a continuous process. If you just went on one date with someone, it is a single event. As soon as you make a habit of it, that is "dating". But if I just went on one date, [b]and then decided I didn't like them[/b], how am I "dating" them? :unsure:[/quote]
You wouldn't be dat[i]ing[/i] them, they would be someone that you [i]dated[/i].

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1758263' date='Apr 17 2009, 08.41']Lusting: BwB get togethers, bars "nice shoes, wanna debate [EDIT][i]the theory that shall not be named[/i][/EDIT]?"[/quote]
Huh? Lusting? To me that sounds like a surer way to start a fight than walking up and punching a random stranger.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1758011' date='Apr 17 2009, 02.35']Do you by any chance have a hard time getting a girlfriend?[/quote]
Sometimes... How'd you guess?

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1758436' date='Apr 17 2009, 11.25']Huh? Lusting? To me that sounds like a surer way to start a fight than walking up and punching a random stranger.[/quote]
You must be a real joy to hang out with. Anyway, don't sweat it. Nobody actually talks about the books at BwB get togethers.

Do they?

Archived