The NFL Thread

Trystane

Apparently the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093"]Bills have traded LT Jason Peters to the Eagles[/url] for the 28th overall pick, a 4th rounder, and a conditional pick in next year's draft. Not quite as sexy as an Anquan Boldin trade but it does address a serious need for the Eagles.

Being a Giants fan and hoping that they get Boldin or Edwards, I'm glad to see that the Eagles gave up their 1st round pick this year, which hopefully means they don't have enough to make a serious run at either.

On a sadder note, what will watching football be like without being able to listen to John Madden each week?

Think it's a smart move for the Eagles. Really shores up their O-line with an elite tackle. Doubt they'd get a similar talent with where they pick in the first round. Pair him with a returning Shawn Andrews and they might actually start converting on 4th and 1s.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1758453' date='Apr 17 2009, 14.40']Think it's a smart move for the Eagles. Really shores up their O-line with an elite tackle. Doubt they'd get a similar talent with where they pick in the first round. Pair him with a returning Shawn Andrews and they might actually start converting on 4th and 1s.[/quote]

Only if they continue to fail converting 3rd and 1s.

[quote name='Nails77' post='1758451' date='Apr 17 2009, 14.39']Being a Giants fan and hoping that they get Boldin or Edwards, I'm glad to see that the Eagles gave up their 1st round pick this year, which hopefully means they don't have enough to make a serious run at either.

On a sadder note, what will watching football be like without being able to listen to John Madden each week?[/quote]

Well the only thing holding up the Edwards to Giants deal is compensation, they are haggeling over picks and or whether to include a player (Steve Smith or D Hixon). I have a feeling that it is going to go down prior to draft day. For some reason Reese may or may not have tipped his hand by saying that perhaps PHO is asking too much for Boldin but there are other WR worth dealing for (Edwards).
[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...----at-lea.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...----at-lea.html[/url]
Could be a smoke screen but Eli lobbyied for BE earlier in the week so we will see. He had an off year but he has super talent but drops are a big, big issue with him. The rationale for putting him on the market is that he won't sign a long term extension to stay and if he does it would be terribly outrageous. Not saying I agree with it but if they can get a pick at the bottom of round 1 and another in the top 100 + a potential starter it could be a good deal for both teams. I really see the Browns taking Crabtree if he is there whether they deal Edwards or not.

Peters is a great pick up for the Eagles too!

I ain't touching the madden thing...

EDIT: The link above does not work, try this one...
[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/04/16/2009-04-16_giants_seek_wide_receiver_but_price_to_steep_for_arizonas_.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football..._arizonas_.html[/url]

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1758453' date='Apr 17 2009, 13.40']Think it's a smart move for the Eagles. Really shores up their O-line with an elite tackle. Doubt they'd get a similar talent with where they pick in the first round. Pair him with a returning Shawn Andrews and they might actually start converting on 4th and 1s.[/quote]

Elite? Peters gave up over 10 sacks in last season. Eagles better hope he'll return to his old form.

[quote name='anguy' post='1758480' date='Apr 17 2009, 15.05']Elite? Peters gave up over 10 sacks in last season. Eagles better hope he'll return to his old form.[/quote]

Yeah but he did miss all of camp last year, so hard to judge. Get him into camp on time and the guy will be an elite T.

Dunno if I'm thrilled by this, I guess it'll depend on how high the 2010 pick we get is?

Also, I believe the Eagles have two first-rounders this year, so it's not a bad move for them at all; the pick they're giving us is the 28th, which means they retain the 21st pick. If I'm an Iggles fan, I'm real happy about this trade.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1758572' date='Apr 17 2009, 13.17']I heard somewhere that Alex Smith has looked like crap in mini-camp (not too surprising) and that the 49ers are interesting in trying to get Brady Quinn. Anyone else heard anything to this effect?[/quote]

The 49ers brought in Smith to be a backup. I've heard more media speculation about Quinn than anything even pretending to have an internal source. All signs here point toward them finding their QB in the draft.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1758572' date='Apr 17 2009, 16.17']I heard somewhere that Alex Smith has looked like crap in mini-camp (not too surprising) and that the 49ers are interesting in trying to get Brady Quinn. Anyone else heard anything to this effect?[/quote]

Funny that you asked about that one b/c I literally heard about it for the first time about 15 minutes ago. Local talk show host Mike Reghi who is actually pretty good personality with some good sources/reputation around the league, just reported that the Browns have had conversations with the 49ers about Quinn. Now how serious is it? Don't know. Are they just trying to drive the interest of DA up by shopping Quinn - again who knows, this Mangini is a pretty tight lipped dude so much that gets reported is via other team sources. But he is saying that the 49ers are one of 4 or 5 teams he reported that are pretty intrested in Brady. Personally I don't see Quinn going any where unless some one makes a pretty huge offer

Who was the kid last year for San Fran that took snaps? Hill? He wasn't too bad if I can remember my fantasy stats from last year but maybe with Martz gone he will fizzle out so they are looking at other options.

You know, with the NFL draft only days away I'm surprised by the relative lack of NFL talk around here. C'mon, we're slippin' here people! :P

I have a couple of general NFL-related things that I'd like to throw out here and get your thoughts on. First, how are you feeling about the upcoming CBA negotiations? I kind of think the dominoes are lining up for it to not go well. For now, I'm cautiously optimistic but I also sort of think it's human nature to fuck around and kill the "goose that laid the golden egg" whenever there is one :unsure: Let's just say it would not surprise me to see some work stoppage in 2011 if a new CBA is not in place by then. I think there a few owners who will absolutely love an uncapped 2010 season (and many others who will hate it, of course).

Second, what do you think about a rookie salary scale, etc. for the NFL? Personally, I think it has to happen and soon due to the fact that the top picks are now really penalties rather than rewards because they are so cost-prohibitive. I wonder how big a part rookie salaries will play in the upcoming CBA negotiations? :dunno:

Just a few random NFL-related thoughts. By the way, who else gets together for a party for the beginning of the draft? Just curious to see how big of dorks me and the guys are :D

I have a couple of general NFL-related things that I'd like to throw out here and get your thoughts on. First, how are you feeling about the upcoming CBA negotiations? I kind of think the dominoes are lining up for it to not go well.
I can't imagine it going well. I think that we'll see a lot of negotiations flying around attempting to save the salary cap, and I think that it'll be a casualty of keeping work going. And I think that will essentially kill a lot of the goodness of the NFL.

A rookie salary scale is downright a requirement if they want any semblance of parity. It's idiotic that you'll have such a huge albatross if you have a high pick and it doesn't happen to pan out for whatever reason. Rookies should not be making more money than proven pro-bowl veterans, but they will, routinely.

If the salary cap goes that will kill what makes NFL the best sport in NA. The parity of the league drives that league. Once we start having haves and have nots determined by financial success and not just managerial success the league will lose some of its luster.

I hope that the cap is preserved and that rookie salary control is implemented - tied to each team being very close to the cap. Reach an agreement as to what constitutes a minimum qualifying offer for each slot (lower than current) then allow teams that are within say 2-3% of the overall cap to retain draft rights for three years.

I hope that the cap is preserved and that rookie salary control is implemented - tied to each team being very close to the cap. Reach an agreement as to what constitutes a minimum qualifying offer for each slot (lower than current) then allow teams that are within say 2-3% of the overall cap to retain draft rights for three years.

Keeping the cap is key for the sport and the owners know it and will fight to the death to keep it and will. BUT the big bargaining chip/boon the owners will gladly concede will be shifting the money for rookies, as in the slotted salary structure that you mentioned above and allocating existing money to veterans, FA and retirement funds instead on some kid that never played a single down in the NFL. The big issue with no solution is going to be the reconstruction of Free Agency. Players don't like it. Agents despise it. Owners and GM's like it because hand in hand with the cap policy it polices itself (from a management standpoint) and gives organizations control and the ability to retain top notch talent. Players/Agents (mostly the latter) hate, hate, hate the Franchise tag/transition tag - this will be redefined some how - not sure how but it will be. Do not underestimate the issue of the retirement pension and how that will change and become one of the stalemates.

There will be a work stoppage.

But in the end...

Rookies will have a slotted salary structure (deservedly so), veterans salaries will be overall higher with some sort of guarantee nuance but not as favorable for the players would have wanted(more money less guarantee), a cap will remain in place to maintain the overall parity of the league (no way the owners concede this), the free agency system will be redifined and a new and extremly costly/great pension will be implemented by the PU but at the players expense. All this is so complicated and is going to make you so angry you'll scream!

But F^ck all that crap man!

I am curious what the skinny is on all your teams in the draft - who are YOUR guys looking at? Rumors, gossip TRADES? What do they need? Who do you want them to take??? Who are the guys who are going to be drafted that you like? Tracking anyone specific? Do you watch it on ESPN or NFL network? Or flip back and forth? LOL!!!

That is the fun shit, I love the draft! One of the best events of the year?

This CBA stuff will make you go in the garage, shut the door, crack open a PBR and turn on the ignition..

Let's talk about the draft...

Let's talk about the draft...

As a Seahawks fan, I hear they are looking at Sanchez as a succuessor to Hasselbeck, which would be an upgrade from Seneca Wallace, but I am not sold on Sanchez, who played one year on a great team.

As a WVU Alum, I am super sold on Pat White, and any team that gets him (2nd round) will get a huge bargain, picking up a player that is better than most of the first round guys.

As a general football fan, I am super leery of Stafford and I know that the Lions are doomed if they pick him first. Probably doomed if they dont pick him too.....

I like Curry..... Seahawks should pick him if he is available....

Well I wanted to talk about a couple of the "trade me" people. First we had Boldin and I think Sheppard last year. Now Sheldon Brown on the Eagles wants a new contract when he has 4 years left on his old one. It's amusing to read the Eagle's response to his complaints.

Also on a side note, Chad Ocho Cinco wants to be traded. I think the Bengals should release a press statement that says they're looking in trading him to the Rams or Lions, just to see if they can force a reaction out of number eight five. :P

Also on a side note, Chad Ocho Cinco wants to be traded. I think the Bengals should release a press statement that says they're looking in trading him to the Rams or Lions, just to see if they can force a reaction out of number eight five. :P

Or Minnesota.

He always wants to be traded. We should have traded him last year. We could have done a lot with those 2 #1s.

As for my team, I want us to trade down and get Wells, Moreno or Oher. If they stick in our slot, I'd like to see them get Andre Smith or Monroe (if available). I'd even consider Raji. With a rotation of Raji, Sims, Peko and Tank Johnson, we could have a pretty dominate interior D-Line.

Of course, the DE from LSU or the DE from Texas are options I wouldn't mind either. We need a LT and we need to get pressure on the QB.

So basically, I'm almost happy with anyone cause we need someone in most positions. I don't want a first round WR and I don't want a CB/Safety. Everything else, I'm good with getting.

In the 2nd round, we need a Center. No ands, ifs or buts about it. If Unger or Mack is there, we take them. If we need to trade up to get one of them, we do it. That's our most pressing need.

Archived