The NFL Thread

Trystane

If the Seahawks don't get one of the OTs in the draft, they're idiotic. They don't need a QB right now. They do need better line support. Hass and Wallace will be fine for at least one more year, and likely a few. Wallace is actually pretty decent. And Sanchez simply is too big a question mark.

With the gutted bears draft, I'll just be happy if they go after a good possession receiver and some depth at defense.

I didn't know the vikings had the number 85 retired.

I thought you were bringing up terrible teams that couls not deliver him the ball, I was not talking about the number 85 being retired.

But on that note, his name is friggin stupid anyways....

If the Seahawks don't get one of the OTs in the draft, they're idiotic. They don't need a QB right now. They do need better line support. Hass and Wallace will be fine for at least one more year, and likely a few. Wallace is actually pretty decent. And Sanchez simply is too big a question mark.

You and I are in agreement on the OT thing. I am not completely sold on Wallace. Decent enough back-up I suppose.

Heh I think the Vikings wouldn't be bad for him on that. AP really opens up a lot of space for the passing, and if Tavares can progress a bit Chad could thrive there. What I'd love to see is for him to be forced to not wear 85, making his name change even more retarted.

As for my team, I want us to trade down and get Wells, Moreno or Oher. If they stick in our slot, I'd like to see them get Andre Smith or Monroe (if available).

With all the weird drama and questions about motivation and character that have come up with Andre Smith, are you sure the Bengals can afford to take a risk on him? That ain't exactly the sort of locker room that scares a malingerer straight... Every time I see a mock draft listing the Bengals taking Smith, I can just see his career spiraling downward.

With all the weird drama and questions about motivation and character that have come up with Andre Smith, are you sure the Bengals can afford to take a risk on him? That ain't exactly the sort of locker room that scares a malingerer straight... Every time I see a mock draft listing the Bengals taking Smith, I can just see his career spiraling downward.

I think he'll be fine.

Our major problems are Chad, Benson and Henry. But Henry and Benson both hit rock bottom and have been said to be extremely hard workers since their falls. They understand they were given another chance no one else would have given them and have been great since. Chad doesn't bother me. When it comes down to it, he works hard in practice and will play hard. No one else on our team is bad.

Everyone else are class acts, especially Palmer, Jones, Whitworth, ect. I think Smith would be fine there. I know he's had some problems but he's not a guy who gets arrested so I think any motivation problems could be handled.

Well Mr Frog Eater - is that the word in Seatle? Smitten with Sanchez? Not one of the behmouth LT's - which ever one is still on the board out of Monroe or Smith to replace Walter Jones or maybe bolstering the WR's with a tandem of like TJ/Crabtree alla Fitz/Anquan?

Humm intresting with the talk of going QB, especially with the JETS and Dan Snyder salivating over Sanchez, maybe a trade down/trade up scenario?

One of the reasons I hope he falls to 5 is maybe my guys can trade out because Sanchez might be there and one of them (JETS/WAS) wants to trade up and get him. Overall with the money issue I think the best value for a player is going to be out of the top 10, not much seperation in talent but a huge separation in salary and signing bonus.

I think Pat White would be a bit of reach that high in the 2nd, especially for a guy who might have to re-adjust to another position whether it is special teams or wr or even sitting on the bench learning the qb trade. But I do think he would be a great mid round gem to who ever drafts him because the guys is a football player...

This time of year should just be called "Ocho Cinco's foiled escape plan". Mike Brown will not trade him. Period. And I think it is great.

Personally I am not sold on Stafford, especially with that kind of investment at number one overall. Huge arm though. But honestly that is about all I can say about him, big arm, everything else is mehh. We'll see, they are negotiating with Curry, Smith, Stafford so whomever they can get a deal with. But they do need to inject some confidence w/the fanbase BUT why people think drafting a franchise qb is they way to pacify your fans I will never understand. I am just an idiot i guess. At least if you go with one of LT's and they don't pan out, you can maybe move them to RT or either of the G's. QB's who bust out become glorified clip board holders and marry former PMOY's.

I read that Sheldon Brown said he has been treated like a redheaded step child (who was given what, a 4 or 5 year deal :rolleyes: ). I like the eagles stance, let the dude stew, see ya in camp Sheldon.

I am going to say Boldin won't go anywhere again, I have read that many FO types think 1 and 3 might be steep considering the beatings he has taken the past few years. Selfishly I hope he stays, I have him in one of my FF keeper leagues and he gets too many looks b/c Fitz and Warner. I really think Boldin should be careful for what he wishes for, it is almost a too good to be true situation for him right now, that is why I am really curious how TJ performs as the true number one in SEA.

I will say Braylon Edwards will be joining the NYG sometime Saturday. WWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY Too much smoke there. I think it will be good for all, for him it gives him a fresh start. When focused he is one of the elite WR's in the league but when he is not he is pretty bad. Leaves the CLE offense in a pickle though, if they do pull the trigger it means they traded thier only weapons on offense (K2 and BE). Back to rebuilding I guess...again...

For my own team, the Pats, I've got the same draft hopes I've had for the last few years: LB, CB, and at least a project DT or DE to train up, because I don't think they'll be able to keep Wilfork, Warren, and Seymour when their contracts expire, all at the same time. Also want them to pick up a fullback to replace Heath Evans.

Seattle has almost always favored defensive players from big-name schools in the first round. I don't know if that's the way they'll be going this time, but I could totally see them getting Curry if KC decided to go OT (like they should).

I can't imagine it going well. I think that we'll see a lot of negotiations flying around attempting to save the salary cap, and I think that it'll be a casualty of keeping work going. And I think that will essentially kill a lot of the goodness of the NFL.

A rookie salary scale is downright a requirement if they want any semblance of parity. It's idiotic that you'll have such a huge albatross if you have a high pick and it doesn't happen to pan out for whatever reason. Rookies should not be making more money than proven pro-bowl veterans, but they will, routinely.

And this should be a really, really easy thing for them to get. The players association isn't composed, after all, of future first round draft picks.

I woudl be shocked if this doesn't happen.

And this should be a really, really easy thing for them to get. The players association isn't composed, after all, of future first round draft picks.

I woudl be shocked if this doesn't happen.

But players listen to their agents. And the agents really don't want a rookie salary cap. And the agents are much shrewder than their clients.

So McShay has the Jets taking Josh Freeman. So a guy that everyone said should be an early 2nd rounder will be taken with the 17th pick. That's just great.

Then they have Brandon Tate going in the 2nd. I think that would be great, but now that he tested positive for marijuana they probably won't draft him and will grab a TE or something.

But players listen to their agents. And the agents really don't want a rookie salary cap. And the agents are much shrewder than their clients.

True.

If the owners were smart they would be playing up the fact that with a salary cap, those rookie salaries are taking money directly out of the pockets of established veterans. i'd think the players association would want to do the same.

True.

If the owners were smart they would be playing up the fact that with a salary cap, those rookie salaries are taking money directly out of the pockets of established veterans. i'd think the players association would want to do the same.

It boggles my mind that the exorbitant sums handed to kids who've never played an NFL down hasn't stoked massive resentment and support for a rookie wage scale among the rank and file veterans of the NFLPA.

True.

I was just talking about this with one of my co-workers. The talk about the Jets trading up to get Sanchez worries me most because of the amount of money they would have to spend to sign him.

With the gutted bears draft, I'll just be happy if they go after a good possession receiver and some depth at defense.

I think the question here is (as no Seahawks fan) is Sanchez better than what they can get NEXT year (or a late rounder with potential to be coached up) and the 6th or 7th tackle (at pick 36)? or do they go Tackle first, and QB late or next year.

Seattle does need a qb. Just not for this year. the future isn't as far away as you think. and with his kookie sister in law, the pressure might hurt Hasselbacks back further.

It's why this part of the system is broken. Example, say in the NBA if you wanted to trade up for the number 1 pick you have to really mortgage the farm to do so, it is valued highly by all teams.

But in the NFL you can't even give it away. I told someone recently that under the current sytem, the way it is structured right now I can see the number 1 pick holder trading out of the pick for say the 15th pick and giving up a lower pick (like a 5,6 or 7th rounder) to trade down, just so someone can take the financial risk/cap hit off the organizations hands for a more valued safer late first rounder. Now it sounds pretty crazy and I used an extreme example but in reality it is not too far fetched idea.

Think about if your organization has the first overall pick:

You already finished dead last in the league, then you get hit with having to pay the number one pick, it's another cap "penalty" (think double jeporady) for being the worst team in the league on player who may not even pan out or ever contribute to your team.

This will be the first thing both the owners and the NFLPA change and maybe the only issue they will be in agreement about is slotting/scaling the rookie salary. I am going to stick by what I said - no way, under any circumstances do the owners conced the salary cap. Parity is all too important to the owners and more importantly to the League itself but we will see drastic changes in guarantees, Free Agency and veteran salaries.

BOILED LEATHER: I can't see SEA taking Sanchez either, they might be talking about it trying to hook some team into trading up for him. This year overall is pretty weak for QB's, next year's class is going to be a really good crop and I agree, they are going to have to address it sooner than later. I still see them taking either one of the OT's or Crabtree, wouldn't be shocked either if one of the OT's were on the board and they took Crabtree though...

BOILED LEATHER: I can't see SEA taking Sanchez either, they might be talking about it trying to hook some team into trading up for him. This year overall is pretty weak for QB's, next year's class is going to be a really good crop and I agree, they are going to have to address it sooner than later. I still see them taking either one of the OT's or Crabtree, wouldn't be shocked either if one of the OT's were on the board and the took Crabtree though...

I can't disagree at all. Just found the logic to automatically dismiss taking a QB at 4 nonsensical. It has to be part of their discussion.

and for the record... I predict another in line of horrid drafts for my beloved 49ers. I like what singetary is doing with the team, but I don't see him a personnel man. this fan sees them taking either -

whichever OT is left at 10 (oh wait we got Marvel Smith -- Jonas Jenning redux)

or Which ever DE will flame out (Kentwan Balmer again)

now if Harbin or Alex Mack are their at 43 (2nd round) I'm happy. I would not be suprised to Mack go in top 35 and they have Medical Marijuana clubs in SD too.

It's why this part of the system is broken. Example, say in the NBA if you wanted to trade up for the number 1 pick you have to really mortgage the farm to do so, it is valued highly by all teams.

But in the NFL you can't even give it away. I told someone recently that under the current sytem, the way it is structured right now I can see the number 1 pick holder trading out of the pick for say the 15th pick and giving up a lower pick (like a 5,6 or 7th rounder) to trade down, just so someone can take the financial risk/cap hit off the organizations hands for a more valued safer late first rounder. Now it sounds pretty crazy and I used an extreme example but in reality it is not too far fetched idea.

Well that could also be because a single star makes a much bigger difference in the NBA and it's easier to project players into the pros in basketball than in football.

Archived