EHK for MMA

Analu

I just saw some clips of that Maynard fight on MMA Connected (a Rogers new Canadian MMA news show on Rogers Sportsnet) and it looked almost as horrifically one sided an affair as I suspected it would have been when I first heard of it coming up. I don't think I could have watched three rounds of that. What I saw looked terribly one sided and very, very awkward.

Hats off to Maynard for pursuing his passion but I'll back the Athletic commissions on this one.

Hats off to Maynard for pursuing his passion but I'll back the Athletic commissions on this one.

I don't think that anyone reasonable questioned whether or not the commissions would sanction this. Even Maynard himself knew this to be true. But I am happy for the kid doing what he wants to do and living life. Athletic pursuits should be the aspiration of everyone, professional or not. Would that the rest of us could have his drive. That said, I hope that he'll eventually settle down to coaching wrestling or being a trainer with an MMA team or sum. I can see how he could be competitive in wrestling, but with punches involved I can't see him ever winning a match plus it puts the other guy in an awkward position as the winner. I read that his opponent had a car standing by in case the crowd turned on him.

I don't know if the UFC wants to cement Silva's legacy or make him more hated than ever.

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin confirmed for UFC 101

No this is not a test. Comments?

I know that I can't wait. This should lay all the doubters to rest. C'mon Silva put him to sleep. This is the fight of your life here.

That's a pretty crazy match-up. Silva against a top-tier LHW is huge, and Griffin's brawling style will probably ensure that the fight will be entertaining. He's certainly not going to be flopping on his back. Sherdog must be pleased with the match-up because they're back to using the Smiling Silva headshot.

Wow. I'm really surprised Dana's letting his TUF golden boy fight the Spider. Forrest isn't known for having the best chin and his brawling style seems tailor-made for Silva. I'm sure he'll come in with a better gameplan than Leben, but I think Anderson is going to destroy him.

UFC 101 is looking like a sick card with my boy BJ facing Kenny, and now this fight co-headlining.

Wow. I'm really surprised Dana's letting his TUF golden boy fight the Spider. Forrest isn't known for having the best chin and his brawling style seems tailor-made for Silva. I'm sure he'll come in with a better gameplan than Leben, but I think Anderson is going to destroy him.

I think that this is DW's last-ditch effort at getting Silva over with the public. A highlight reel KO against a former LHW champ and goldenboy in his prime can definitely improve his image following some lackluster matchups. Plus noone can say that he's fighting a can. Griffin has his deficiencies but his size will be a tough matchup for a guy who's used to fighting smaller opponents. But Griffin's style definitely is a factor in why they made this matchup.

Strange that the UFC would be trying to get Silva over with the fans at this point, as he only has 4 fights left. Maybe they figure a loss won't hurt Forrest much and know they could get a huge payday from Silva vs. GSP or Silva vs. Bisping if Silva beats Forrest. I read an article where Silva was talking about fighting Fedor now as well.

DW also mentioned a big signing at MW...don't know who that could be except Cung Le, Vitor, or GM or maybe just Dana White BS.

Silva will be much smaller than Forrest, but can't see him losing. Forrest doesn't have great KO power and I doubt he'll be able to use his leg kicks as efficiently as usual. Silva will be bigger than Rashad once he puts on some muscle. I bet Forrest will be trying to GnP Silva, because that's his only shot.

Silva will be much smaller than Forrest, but can't see him losing. Forrest doesn't have great KO power and I doubt he'll be able to use his leg kicks as efficiently as usual. Silva will be bigger than Rashad once he puts on some muscle.

If you think it is possible to put on 20lbs of muscle in the few weeks he has before UFC 101 without popping on a piss test for steroids, you know nothing of anatomy. He may put on 1-2lbs of muscle, and the rest will be fat.

If you think it is possible to put on 20lbs of muscle in the few weeks he has before UFC 101 without popping on a piss test for steroids, you know nothing of anatomy. He may put on 1-2lbs of muscle, and the rest will be fat.

You also have to consider that about 5 to 10 lbs of the weight that fighters cut to is water so it's possible that Silva hydrates to around 190 or even 195. Besides, UFC 101 is in August.

That's like, over three months away. You can gain 1 to 2 lbs of muscle per week if everything is done perfectly (ie nutrition, weight training, proper rest and limited cardio), so 20 lbs of muscle by UFC 101 is certainly doable au natural. But not certain since cardio will definitely be on Silva's training schedule. I think that 10 to possibly 15 lbs of muscle might be added to his frame in time for UFC 101.

Sengoku 8 is tomorrow. Hopefully it's on HDNet. I'll have to remember to set my DVR. I wonder how many people will be cheering for Omigawa after the choice words he had for the last crowd. At any rate, I doubt that it's a coincidence that none of the Japanese fighters are fighting each other in the tournament.

Well it is much easier than going the other way.

It is far, far easier losing fat than it is gaining muscle. Particularly when one participates in cardio daily.

Anyone watch Sengoku 8 over the weekend? Not surprisingly, all three Japanese fighters won. The Kanehara vs. Jung fight was pretty exciting. I would have given Kanehara the first two rounds and Jung the third, so I guess I agreed with the decision. The commentators seemed to have a totally different take on who was winning each round. Omigawa won again. Two upsets for that guy. I'd love to see him go all the way, but if he does I think that would only validate Japan's annoying habit of throwing judoka into the deep-end of MMA and letting them sink. Outside of the tourney, that Nedkov guy really wanted to dethrone "Cup" Cheick Kongo. Pretty ugly. Wiuff said that the low blows didn't affect the outcome, but I can't imagine that he was fighting at 100% after so many ball shots.

As far as the presentation went, it seemed like they were trying to be more aggressive with the translation. Last Senguko, as I recall, the translator rarely spoke up. Also, I kind of missed Kenny Rice. I think his dry commentating style provides a necessary counterpoint to Bas's daffiness.

RJJ agrees to meet Anderson Silva in the Octagon. Yeah MMA. Being the bi that he is, DW still shoots it down. Can anyone explain why? I hate DW. The only reason to shoot this down is if he'd wanted modified rules ala Tommy "The water pistol" Morrison.

What I really don't get is DW, I mean how full of it can a person be? He talks out of his ass proposing just this type of fight between Sherk and Mayweather when he needs to get the base fired up against boxing, and then gives reasons not to do it when someone calls him on it. Excuse me, Pride or K1 matchup? What exactly was it when he was all willing to televise a boxing match between him and Tito Ortiz? It didn't take him 5 minutes to show up at a ring with a camera crew in tow. So if RJJ just challenged him instead, then would it be "what we do"? Last time I checked "what we do" is sign fighters who have no talent, bleached hair, and act like jerks whenever a camera is on them, but RJJ "must be looking for money". So signing a talentless prick like Junie Browning is "what we do" but a fight between RJJ and Silva, MMA rules, isn't? Can people finally understand why I don't like this guy?

Didn't watch Sengoku this weekend. Of the Japanese promotions, Dream seems to be more worthy of my viewership. I do hope, however, that they end up merging or at least co-promoting so we can see Gomi vs. Aoki.

RJJ agrees to meet Anderson Silva in the Octagon. Yeah MMA. Being the bi that he is, DW still shoots it down. Can anyone explain why? I hate DW. The only reason to shoot this down is if he'd wanted modified rules ala Tommy "The water pistol" Morrison.

I don't think he wants to take the risk, if Silva loses to RJJ in a boxing match (which I still think he probably would) no one really cares on the other hand if he loses in an mma fight then the UFC potentially looks very bad if their top fighter can't beat an ageing boxer.

To be clear I don't think RJJ would win but he is certainly capable of catching Silva with a good punch and winning the fight.

I don't think he wants to take the risk, if Silva loses to RJJ in a boxing match (which I still think he probably would) no one really cares on the other hand if he loses in an mma fight then the UFC potentially looks very bad if their top fighter can't beat an ageing boxer.

Why would it look bad if Silva lost to a boxer? There are plenty of boxer's who have transitioned to MMA and beat people. The real problem is that RJJ isn't under UFC contract. To get this fight he would have to sign with the UFC and fight his way into contention.

Archived