Exercise and Fitness!

Bellis

I skipped my legs day yesterday and did some walking... but I'm doing my legs for real today... and will finish the week with shoulders traps and arms tomorrow.

Next week I'm going to move from the beginners work out to intermediate. This focuses on muscle groups and is a 5 day program instead of just 3

Wah! :thumbsdown: This was an all campus email today:

The Physical Plant will be doing extensive work in the shallow end of the Bristol Pool. This work will require us to remove the tiles from two of the walls, repair the structure underneath and replace the tile.

We expect this work to take six weeks to complete.

We will start lowering the water level on Saturday the 9th and we plan to have the pool back in operation by July 4th.

Damn! I guess I am going to have to start riding my bike a lot more. Since the pool is also closed for the HamTrek Triathalon tomorrow, I better get my last swim for six weeks in today.

Just spent 15 minutes in the attic going thru stuff and moving boxes around. It wasn't any real exertion at all... but since it's about 115 up there already I was sweating profusely for the entire time. It *looks* like I had a heavy workout.

Does that count for something?

;)

Not sure about lifting but a good rule of thumb that I have found for running is start with 15 miles per week and increase 10% per week.

Also helpful to take a down week after every 3 weeks instead of always building mileage.

For example

19 etc.

Thank you for the suggestions about running and how to increase it slowly over time. I probably should have started off with a 3 mile run instead of five, but I kind of wanted to see whether I could even do five miles, I guess?

I think I might try a gentle three mile this evening to see if that's manageable. Or else I could perhaps do some upper body weights? I guess I need to really focus more on stretching. Again, so much has to do with expectations, and the first time in a while is always going to be the worst.

I'm a bit worried about getting my mileage high enough to be ready to run a marathon in October. I went on a 5 miler yesterday that was supposed to be a run, but turned into more of a hike. Well it did go from 6200 to 7200 feet, but still...

I'm going to find a flatter route today and see how much I'm struggling to breathe.

Also trying to find a running club and decide whether I want to pay to be part of a marathon training group. The marathon groups seem to be geared toward less knowledgeable runners (although not necessarily all slower). The coach for one of the groups has slower equivalent PRs than I do. It doesn't mean he's not a good coach, but he spends a good amount of space listing his mediocre accomplishments. It just kind of makes me wonder if he knows how to progress athletes beyond that point. Also, Boston seems to be the biggest goal listed. However, there can be a lot of benefit to running with a group.

It's hard to find that you've become a worse athlete than you used to be. Hard not to be arrogant and say- I'm really better than this- because right now, you're not.

I'm a bit worried about getting my mileage high enough to be ready to run a marathon in October. I went on a 5 miler yesterday that was supposed to be a run, but turned into more of a hike. Well it did go from 6200 to 7200 feet, but still...

I'm going to find a flatter route today and see how much I'm struggling to breathe.

Didn't you also just move to that elevation? When I went from 350ft to >6000 it took several weeks of running everyday before I could do 5 miles.

Posting mostly b/c I found this amusing... I nearly died on the leg press today. I tried to work in a set with some guy, and thought that one of the racks of plates he had on was stationary, for holding plates that were not in use. So, I think to myself, "hey, there's 360, that'll make a decent first set". Yeah, not so much.

Turns out the guy was leg pressing 630. I might be able to do 630 if I 1) know it's coming and 2) have done a warmup set... luckily, he was able to come over and help me push the machine back over the point where I could put the lock back in, but it was a pretty frightening 2-3 seconds.

<---- is a fucking idiot.

ouch, scary.

...and a little embarassing.

Didn't you also just move to that elevation? When I went from 350ft to >6000 it took several weeks of running everyday before I could do 5 miles.

Yeah, I actually just got here on Sunday night. I'm not sure if it's better to run normally and then stop and walk and get my breath back and run normally again, or just to kind of barely jog along and not stop.

Still working it good. Moved up to 5 sets of 20 reps on all my exercises. I feel the difference, but I know I can do it. On a coupla machines I'm getting real close to maxing them out. Thats a hella feeling, knowing that 4 short months ago, I could barely finish 25 to 30 total reps on any of them at really low weight ( my inclination is to call it "pussy weight", but that wouldnt be nice. lol)

Always finish off with a tough run, Pushing myself on those, working to get my times down. I love the fact that so many here are prepping for marathons, ya'll go right ahead. I'll run 26 miles when someone is chasing me that far with a gun. lol

Once I get myself down to 3 miles in 24 mins. I'll be happy as I wanna be.

Archived