Exercise and Fitness!

Bellis

How long did you take off? I'm still working my way back up to 70k, but I took off for a good while. I ran about 55k last week.

Well, I'd like to get up to about 100k weeks this year, but won't be there for a while.

I was out of running in a dedicated fashion for more than a year. I'd have these weeks where I would run like 40k, but nothing ever stuck. I am hoping this doesn't end that way; I'd like to get my third continent on the 7-continent marathon checklist this fall.

Stego,

That's absurd.

-Protein bars

-Protein shakes

-sunflower seeds

-oatmeal packets

-Almost any fruit or vegetable, in a limited quantity.

(And how does a Law office not have a fridge?)

I have peanuts at my desk they simple don't asuage my hunger as I would like. We do have a fridge, upstairs and on the other end of the building. That sort of defeats the point of having a snack nearby as it takes a nice little while to go get the snack (recognizing the laziness that implies.)

So.. I got 40 minutes on the Elliptical in today with 30 of it being at or above my heart rate goal.

I have to say that I had a little soreness in my quads but again-nothing like I was expecting.. until about 30 seconds into the elliptical this morning.. then every muscle in my legs started screaming for mercy... then they were subdued into submission. Stepping off the machine was a bit of challenge on the rubber bands that had become my legs. I've since stretched a bit and things are totally fine again.

Stego,

I have peanuts at my desk they simple don't asuage my hunger as I would like. We do have a fridge, upstairs and on the other end of the building. That sort of defeats the point of having a snack nearby as it takes a nice little while to go get the snack (recognizing the laziness that implies.)

Scott,

I did not say peanuts. While unsalted, unflavored nuts can be a good food, taking handfuls of peanuts can be absolutely awful for you. Great protein, but lots of fat. And the sodium amount in salted peanuts is insane.

And stop being so damned lazy. Sloth is a sin, yo.

y'all hatin on the creatine. I still say it works, it just requires an extra step of planning, and a little experimentation to get it right. And yeah it does make you retain water, so getting on the scale after you've been taking it consistently you'll see an extra pound or two, which if you live by the numbers, can be disheartening. I'm cool with that though, just as I'm cool with the bit of sugar in the sports drink because this incarnation of getting fit, my goal is first and foremost to gain upper body strength, and secondarily to lose weight by doing it. I've even considered (and rejected) the notion of intentionally gaining muscle mass first, and then losing fat later, but that sounds a little more complicated than I'd prefer.

Little side note that for as good as I felt yesterday with the creatine/ sports drink combo, I'm a bit sore today and wish I had stopped after my cardio session.

LP, my personal bit of anti-conventional wisdom is regarding the "target heart rate." Not sure if you're using the normal formula which is age based, but I find I can always put out a good deal more than they recommend in beats per minute without feeling any unusual exertion. It seems to be one of those items which is overly conservative on purpose. *shrugs* YMMV.

Liffguard, thanks, but I ordered a block of the stuff stego linked to earlier. it looks like it will do the trick. ;)

LP, my personal bit of anti-conventional wisdom is regarding the "target heart rate." Not sure if you're using the normal formula which is age based, but I find I can always put out a good deal more than they recommend in beats per minute without feeling any unusual exertion. It seems to be one of those items which is overly conservative on purpose. *shrugs* YMMV.

Actually what the age based calculation is and what makes me sweat are right about the same so for me so its good. I don't need to be near cardiac arrest every time I do cardio! :)

Thanks for the opinions on creatine, although they are too mixed to persuade me either way. I am reluctant to get back into supplements unless they do a lot for me. I don't take any supplements now, though I used to take multi-vitamins, vitamin B, protein shakes and creatine. I don't have too much faith in the quality or integrity of the supplements, and I also associate that constant regimen with a time when I was a little too serious about working out.

Stego,

Scott,

I did not say peanuts. While unsalted, unflavored nuts can be a good food, taking handfuls of peanuts can be absolutely awful for you. Great protein, but lots of fat. And the sodium amount in salted peanuts is insane.

And stop being so damned lazy. Sloth is a sin, yo.

I bought a bunch of celery at lunch. I've chopped it up and put a days worth in a small bag that should be okay provide it is all eaten. It's not bad.

EVERYONE needs, at very least, a quality multivitamin. Not using one is the ultimate in fitness foolishness. It's second only to water.

... nope.

Can you guys elaborate? I've always kind of thought the multi-vitamin thing was a bit of a crock-what with the green piss and all.

For those who run longer distances, do you carry water with you on your run? At what distances do you start carrying water?

I don't need water right now for my 5 mile runs, but I've been thinking of doing one longer run per week. When the temperature is up, I can get pretty dehydrated after my run, so I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to carry a water bottle with me. What do you guys do?

Even assuming that Stego was being his usual hyperbolic self when he says that a multivitamin is second only to water, fact is that a balanced diet should provide all of the vitamins you need, unless you're juicing and building massive amounts of hypertrophic muscle incredibly fast. Even then you can get all your nutrients by adjusting your diet (more iron, more amino acids, etc). Most of the nutrients in a multivitamin are far in excess of what your body needs, and you do indeed pee it away.

There's a strong case that can be made for supplementing vitamin D (fish oil is your friend!), and you may occasionally want to increase iron and trace minerals, there's no reason to be overloading your body with riboflavin or acetic acid or any of the rest of those. All it does is make your kidneys work incrementally harder.

This is different if you're a teenager, you're doing marathon or altitude training or (again) you're juicing, but under normal circumstances even someone that works out a lot doesn't need all that stuff. It's not important, and certainly not second only to water.

Of course, it won't hurt you much, either, unless you've got significant liver or kidney issues.

Archived