MLB Thread

Myshkin

Watching the Cubs/Giants right now and I can't help thinking, "I don't care how good of a pitcher you are Tim Lincecum, you'll never have my total respect until you get a haircut, you hippie!"

He goes more for the "skater kid" look than the hippie look, but I agree... I kinda wish he would cut his hair. Last year, it was at free-spirit level, this year, it looks like my 50 year old aunt's.

Re: Ankiel-- Watching that replay, the catch didn't look that dumb to me. It seemed more like he kind of forgot where he was at the last second and went into the wall face first instead of shielding himself with his hands. Ankiel's definitely one of the best stories in baseball-- it will be interesting to see what the Cards do with him after this year (I believe he's a free agent after this season, no?). With Ludwick, Colby Rasmus and Brett Wallace (who I'm convinced will wind up in a corner OF spot) they've got a fairly crowded outfield situation.

Just want to hop on here and say what a fun game to watch last night, Brewers vs. Pirates. Up and down, back and forth...I am almost feeling bad for the Pirates as they seemed to have last night wrapped up a couple of times.

Yovani struggled all night long and still put a pretty good line together, Ryan Braun gets off the plane, takes a ride to the park gets dressed and hits a 2 run double with no warm up at all? How awesome is that? So happy he is a Brewer for the next 7 years. Then I think Rickie Weeks is NL comeback player of the year this year. He has had a rough couple of seasons since a wrist/hand injury slowed him down but his hitting and D are both up this year.

Pretty awesome stuff!

Shame the Jays couldn't pull out the win last night, but it was a good show of heart coming back multiple times late in the game. Which they then did again today, this time with the pitching to hold on for the win. Go go Lind.

Cecil looked very good as well. 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 Ks, 0 BBs, only issue I guess is the 3 hit batters. But at least unlike Purcey he throws strikes.

Dodgers are now 12-0 at home, a new NL record and tied for the MLB record (1911 Tigers).

And Jeff Weaver walks away with the win. Maybe it's not so bad after all.

Cecil looked very good as well. 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 Ks, 0 BBs, only issue I guess is the 3 hit batters. But at least unlike Purcey he throws strikes.

I'm pretty excited to see what Cecil will do at the MLB level. Hope he gets an extended shot.

Johan Santana!

That man is pitching as well as he ever did with the Twins right now.

And apparently he can field the ball with his feet, too. Is there anything this man cannot do?

(Oh wait... he can't single-handedly win us a championship.)

Dodgers looking good for the modern MLB record of best home start ever...13-0 baby! Yeah, that's right I said it while the game's still going because I have that much confidence the Dodgers will win. 0% chance of a jinx!

When you've got Daniel Cabrera pitching against you, you've got to feel pretty good going in about your chances of winning that particular game. Unless he mows you down 1-2-3 for the first three innings, then you're going to get no-hit for at least six. Unfortunately for fans of Danny Cabs' teams, the latter seldom happens.

Breaking News:

Los Angeles Times reporting that Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs and will serve a 50 game suspension, to begin today.

ETA: I see whiskey beat me to it.

ETA 2: Peter Gammons is reporting that it was not roids, and that the positive test is a result a prescription which a doctor assured him was not on the MLB banned substances list.

ETA 2: Peter Gammons is reporting that it was not roids, and that the positive test is a result a prescription which a doctor assured him was not on the MLB banned substances list.

Yeah, that's probably what I'd say too. It's a little hard to get away with the A-Rod "I was young and dumb" excuse when you're not young. Whatever Peter Gammons is saying hasn't made it to the ESPN website yet, so I may take this statement back if he names for me a drug that is not performance-enhancing but ended up on the performance-enhancing drug list anyway. Color me skeptical.

Maybe it was some more of those bad B-12 shots from the Dominican Republic that got Palmeiro. Yeah...

Its never steroids. Its always some mistake at first. Do we believe this anymore than A_Rod not knowing he was taking anything wrong or Palmeiro's (or was it Tejada's?) B-12 shots?

Well good day for the Giants and DBacks I suppose. With Manny in there there was no chance of them catching the Dodgers, but with him out they have some hope. Still don't see it happening, LA is a better offensive team even without manram.

Its never steroids. Its always some mistake at first. Do we believe this anymore than A_Rod not knowing he was taking anything wrong or Palmeiro's (or was it Tejada's?) B-12 shots?

Now why would Manny say it was a non-steroid prescription for a health issue if that were not true? Why wouldn't he create a lie that couldn't so easily be refuted? It's pretty easy to check a) if it was a steroid, and b) if it was a prescription for a legitimate health issue.

If Manny used roids in an attempt to better his game, then he can go fuck himself. I'd rather the Dodgers be the worst clean team in baseball than the best dirty team. But if Manny is being suspended for treating a legitimate health issue, then I think MLB is sending a dangerous message to the players.

Now why would Manny say it was a non-steroid prescription for a health issue if that were not true?

Seriously? Why would Clemens deny using anything? Why would Bonds deny it? Why would A-Rod deny it? Unless someone leaks it, does MLB ever actually release the results of what he tested for? If he used steroids he has a lot to gain by denying it and coming up with a story rather than coming clean.

Archived