College Basketball

RedEyedGhost

Is Gary Parrish really suggesting the Memphis AD should have blackmailed Calipari to keep him there?

When it became clear that Kentucky was seriously interested in Calipari, Memphis countered with a contract worth more than the contract Kentucky offered. That was bold. But as it turns out, all the school had to do to keep Calipari was leak the NCAA letter.

It really would've been that easy.

Remember, there was a big debate about whether UK should mess with Calipari and his reputation; that was the hurdle. And though the pro-Calipari people ultimately convinced the anti-Calipari people that winning is the most important thing, that would've been an impossible task had the NCAA letter leaked then and created all the negative headlines it has created this week.

:stunned:

This is what passes for rational discourse in the national media these days?!!?

One big problem that can happen is that if the NCAA does decide too punish anybody, it will not be Cal or Rose but Memphis. Just like what happened to Michigan after the fab Five left. They were long gone by ht e time the NCAA punished the Wolverines. Memphis will get punished as coach Cal makes Kentucky into a powerhouse.

One big problem that can happen is that if the NCAA does decide too punish anybody, it will not be Cal or Rose but Memphis. Just like what happened to Michigan after the fab Five left. They were long gone by ht e time the NCAA punished the Wolverines. Memphis will get punished as coach Cal makes Kentucky into a powerhouse.

I agree that this is a problem. In Cal's case, I don't know how or why he would have any knowledge of Rose cheating on the SAT. Given that, I really don't think there's room here for punishing Coach Calipari. (An argument can be made for the UMass situation though given the fact that Camby accepted cash while enrolled in school.)

Although, I must admit that I am still stunned that anyone could even pull off cheating on a major standardized test like that. When I took the ACT (longer ago than I care to admit these days) I had to produce two forms of ID and it was very closely proctored. I picture a 5'4" Asian kid walking in with a t-shirt that reads "Hell yes, I'm Derick Rose!" :lol:

While we are on the subject of NCAA violations... I was cruising a message board this morning and came across this link concerning an open investigation at Duke. I was unfamiliar with the case of Corey Maggette and Myron Piggie. The article is from 2004 and I haven't been able to find anything online saying whether the case is still open or not. Clearly, it would seem that Duke should be forced to vacate their wins from the 1999 title game appearance season. If the NCAA is letting Duke slide because Maggette took money before he was a student and not while enrolled, then I would argue that Rose cheated on his SAT before enrolling at Memphis.

TL;DR version of my post: The NCAA is a bunch of hypocritical &#@%s.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Floyd has officially cracked.

First we got the he's going to Arizona, oh wait no, he changed his mind and is staying at USC.

Then last week we got this hilarious quote from him about his playing leaving school like it is on fire

Forward Marcus Johnson became the fourth USC basketball player to forego college eligibility and enter the NBA Draft -- news that didn't sit well with head coach Tim Floyd.

"Kansas has two players who would have been NBA lottery picks, Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins, and they are returning to school," Floyd told the Los Angeles Times. "Good for them. Our guys get an offer from Islamabad and they're gone."

And now it looks like he has resigned:

Tim Floyd suddenly resigned as basketball coach at Southern California on Tuesday following allegations that he give $1,000 in cash to a man who helped steer former star player O.J. Mayo to the Trojans.

Floyd submitted a one-paragraph letter to USC athletic director Mike Garrett saying he was quitting after four seasons because he no longer had full enthusiasm for his job.

:lmao:

Hopefully the next four weeks aren't as dull as the past four weeks.

I saw that this morning. I was stunned. The timing is definitely odd. If it was because of the money allegations, I would think he would split earlier. At least recruiting season is mainly over and the new coach can step in without losiing too much ground.

USC never has a problem getting players. It should be an attractive job for anyone who's currently looking. I would think it would be a great job for an "up and coming" assistant coach at a bigger school somewhere. I know that's not usually how college basketball hiring works though.

I can see Floyd going to the NBA or Europe, he is tired of all of the extra stuff that goes with college basketball. USC will have too promote somebody already who does not have a connection to the O.J Mayo mess.

The rumor mill churns once again 45 minutes to my north...

Pitino to USC?

I don't buy it... but I could almost feel bad for UofL fans for having to put up with all these rumors if I didn't universally hate them all. :devil:

I hope S. John is reading this thread, because WTF is going on in WV?

Huggins looks like he got his ass beat!

West Virginia University athletic director Ed Pastilong, left, and WVU basketball coach Bob Huggins are shown Sunday, June 7, 2009, at a fantasy camp basketball banquet in Morgantown, W.Va. Huggins kept his sense of humor as he sported two black eyes and a welt. He says he stepped into the edge of his bathroom door late one night. Pastilong's right hand was in a cast from recent surgery.

Oh it was the shower door that fucked up his eyes (but not his nose, forehead, or cheeks)... Riiiiiiiiiiight.

:lol:

The rumor mill churns once again 45 minutes to my north...

Pitino to USC?

I don't buy it... but I could almost feel bad for UofL fans for having to put up with all these rumors if I didn't universally hate them all. :devil:

I do not know why anybody would want too coach at USC right now. They lost their best players and top recruits; also, there is a good chance the NCAA will hand down some punishment for what happened.

U do not know why anybody would want too coach at USC right now. They lost their best players and top recruits; also, there is a good chance the NCAA will hand down some punishment for what happened.

Oh I agree whole heartedly. Actually... Andy Katz mentioned the name of a different former UK coach for the job. Honestly, I don't think Gillispie would be a bad fit there. Sure its LA and the spotlight is on... but the school will never be the pre-eminent basketball team in town; that'd be the Lakers. It will never even be the most followed college basketall team; that'd be UCLA. It won't even be the most talked about team at the school; that'd be the football team. Additionally, there's a good chance of NCAA probation...

Gillispie could step in and do what he does best, rebuild a program with little tradition at a football school.

Oh it was the shower door that fucked up his eyes (but not his nose, forehead, or cheeks)... Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Now that's some funny stuff right there.

:lol: Yea, I heard about that. Hadn't seen a picture until now though, no way you get two black eyes like that from running into a door. Even one would take some doing I'd think. Morgantown's a little rough around the edges, what can I say?

Someone on a WVU board was apparently at a golf tournament recently that featured both Huggins and Stewart. Supposedly Huggy promised him a National Championship while he's at West Virginia. If he can deliver on that one I don't care how many Morgantown bar brawls he gets himself into, I'll just thank my lucky stars he ain't coaching boxing. :P

So is Calhoun getting to the point in life where you have one health problem after another? Cancer, mysterious illnesses, broken ribs... but the man was healthy enough to ride a 50 mile bicycle course for charity. Its interesting. I have a feeling we'll be seeing his overall health decline sharply in the next few years.

Well we're starting to get some decisions about sticking in or withdrawing from the draft.

Damion James is returning to Texas, and they're going to be damn good next year.

Jrue Holiday is staying in the draft, and they will be shockingly thin at PG. But rumors are that this is addition by subtraction because he was a team cancer...

And it sounds like Meeks is going to stay in the draft too. That sets UK back... a lot.

And it sounds like Meeks is going to stay in the draft too. That sets UK back... a lot.

Yeap... I think a lot of prognosticators were working under the assumption that Meeks would return. It really leaves us with no proven outside shooters. I think the fact that he's staying in must mean that there's a team out there late in the first round that has guaranteed him that they will pick him. I could see him being a great addition to the Cavaliers as an outside scoring threat off the bench.

My girlfriend's 5 year old daughter gave me the Jodie Meeks Witness T Shirt as an early Father's Day present last week (she was so excited she couldn't wait to give it to me). I don't have kids of my own, so this is my first ever gift for that holiday... I'll have even more reason to love Jodie Meeks now.

Now... if only I can figure out how to get it signed... :unsure:

Yeap... I think a lot of prognosticators were working under the assumption that Meeks would return. It really leaves us with no proven outside shooters. I think the fact that he's staying in must mean that there's a team out there late in the first round that has guaranteed him that they will pick him. I could see him being a great addition to the Cavaliers as an outside scoring threat off the bench.

Those late first round guarantees are tricky though. They'll far apart faster than a GM can say "conditional". I think it's more probable that Meeks doesn't want to play for his third coach in college, learn another new system, and he knows his stats will go down next year because there's more talent that will be needing shots.

Any word on what system Cal will be running next year? I can't imagine it will be the DDM, because Wall's the only player that fits that system, and you've got way too much inside talent to let that be wasted on the DDM.

Any word on what system Cal will be running next year? I can't imagine it will be the DDM, because Wall's the only player that fits that system, and you've got way too much inside talent to let that be wasted on the DDM.

My impression is that it is DDMO or bust. I disagree that he doesn't have the personnel to run it though...

Pretty much all the newcomers will fit into the system. Wall and Eric Bledsoe are both born to play the point in this style. Darnell Dodson and Jon Hood are prototypical wing types for the offense. Daniel Orton and DeMarcus Cousins are said to have remarkable range and driving ability for their size.

Of the returning personnel; if DeAndre Liggins is worth half the hype he came in with then he should thrive, Patrick Patterson needs to thrive in this to show that he has a face-up game for the NBA (and Calipari has twittered that he'll be awesome in it), Darius Miller gets rave reviews from the coach and has a decent outside shot to go with a good drive.

I think Josh Harrelson, Perry Stevenson, and Ramon Harris will see a lot of pine time.

Kevin Galloway and Matt Pilgrim were given their walking papers this week. Now that Meeks has left, that actually puts us one under the scholarship limit.

The major weakness on the roster is no reliable, proven outside shooter now that Meeks is gone. We have an amazing amount of front court depth as you mention, but they are billed as versatile front court players.

:dunno:

Only time will tell in the end. One thing I do know, it will be more exciting to watch than any team since Rajon Rondo's freshman year when we sported future NBAers Chuck Hayes, Erik Daniels, Kelenna Azuibuike, and Randolph Morris to go along with Patrick Sparks, Rondo, Joe Crawford, and Ramel Bradley.

According to ESPN Jamie Dixon has turned down the USC job (and rightly so in my opinion). However, they are now looking at guys with NBA experience like Reggie Theus and PJ Carlesimo.

I think Reggie Theus would be a dynamite hire for the Trojans. Reportedly, he's not concerned about any investigations. His experience in Sacramento and connections in LA would be valuable to the program and he's not seen as being tarnished in any way that I know of. I'd be more than happy with him as my coach in that situation.

I disagree that he doesn't have the personnel to run it though...

[snip]

The major weakness on the roster is no reliable, proven outside shooter now that Meeks is gone.We have an amazing amount of front court depth as you mention, but they are billed as versatile front court players.

And that's the key right there.

With the DDM it ran by guards that have the ability to drive into the lane, and either create their own shot or dish it out to an open teammate for a perimeter shot. The interior players get their points primarily from rebounded putbacks. There's not a lot of passing to big men when the guard himself is looking for the interior shot, so all your talented big men will be wasted with the DDM (just as they were in Memphis).

And to keep the DDM running you have to have reliable perimeter shooting, because without it the defense can back off and clog the lane (or go with a tight zone). This will then limit what the guards can do, so they'll start jacking up shots beyond their typical range, and then you have five defenders ready to snatch up those missed shots.

I just don't see the DDM working without at least one three point threat and several other serviceable shooters. With all of the inside talent you have, I think your team would be much better running the high-low or a pick and roll offense.

Did you see Harrison Barnes' latest comment about UK?

How has the departure of John Calipari from Memphis to Kentucky impacted you?

It hasn’t really. He’s a good coach. I don’t know if I like the way they’re doing things right there now though. Seems like he left Memphis kind of in a bad situation and then guys at Kentucky are getting their scholarships taken back. I don’t know yet. It’s a competitive place though, you know college basketball, and it’s only getting more and more competitive.

:uhoh:

I would love for him to come to KU, but I really think he'll end up at Duke because of their academics. It also wouldn't surprise me if he stays (wherever he goes) for 3-4 years. His mom is a professor at ISU, and academics come first - even as the #1 player in his class.

He will be a fantastic get for whoever lands him.

I hadn't read the Harrison Barnes comments and those are at least somewhat troubling. If there's one recruit on our radar currently that I'd like to nab... it would be him. He's articulate, intelligent, and athletic and I think he will make a great ambassador for whatever school signs him one day.

Archived