Werthead

Guy Gavriel Kay

336 posts in this topic

shame, i never find these when they're going on

On 2017-01-08 at 7:46 PM, unJon said:

Make sure to read Sarantine Mosaic before Children of Earth and Sky. It's not a sequel but there are tons of references and Easter Eggs to the former in the latter. 

From the AMA, the "historical" order is:

There is a rough timeline, some hints of it are in all of them. The Mosaic is 6th century (Justinian and Theodora), Last Light is King Alfred, Lions is around the millennium, Children is late 15th c, after the fall of Constantinople ... in other words, our world's timeline is pretty much mine.

For someone who hasn't read the Sarantine Mosaic, and won't be able to for a while, what are some of the easter eggs that appear in Children of Earth and Sky? I felt like I was missing references to the artifacts that Pero discovered in the forests, and the flame and feeling of sorrow he encountered in the passageway beneath the palaces...

There were a number of them. In addition to the two you mentioned:

Spoiler

The small chapel with it's crumbling mosaic and the silent brothers are in the Sarantine Mosaic. Several other locations from Sarantium like the circus, the tunnel between the palaces where a pivotal scene in the Sarantine Mosaic takes place, the temple/church which was the location of the main mosaic being commissioned in the Sarantine Mosaic. I can't remember if the island off Sarantium is mentioned. The mosaic of the two queens in Rhodias which the protagonist in the Sarantine Mosaic creates is referenced. I am missing a few that jumped out at me while I read it.

Shame it will be a  while before you read the Sarantine Mosaic. It's one of GGK's best imo.

Thanks. I'll move the Mosaic up my to-read list.

Just read through all these posts. I am a great fan of GGK after stumbling upon Tigana during one of the lulls between ASoI&F books.  Lions is wonderful, wonderful. And reading Under Heaven often leads to tears. River of Stars is beautiful. I like his Viking inspired book (Light is in it, but the title escapes me), but it seemed to lack the lustre of his other books; a bit disjointed in places.

Going to order those books missing from my collection.

Thank you all for reminding me I was neglecting this writer

8 hours ago, Beathag said:

I like his Viking inspired book (Light is in it, but the title escapes me), but it seemed to lack the lustre of his other books; a bit disjointed in places.

That's Last Light of the Sun you are thinking of. I agree with you that the plot lacked focus (even ignoring Kay's determination to tell the life story of every minor character we meet), it's not a bad book and I did enjoy reading it but I'd say one of his weaker novels.

I am thrilled to f ind a thread devoted to Guy Gavriel Kay!  I loved most all of his books that I've read.  I started with Sailing to Sarantium, just picked it up off the discount shelf in a store and it sounded interesting.  Fionovar Tapestry was good, but doesn't compare to his other works.

Has anyone read Ysabel?  The description has just never appealed to me so even though I am a big GGK fan, I have never read it.

49 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

I am thrilled to f ind a thread devoted to Guy Gavriel Kay!  I loved most all of his books that I've read.  I started with Sailing to Sarantium, just picked it up off the discount shelf in a store and it sounded interesting.  Fionovar Tapestry was good, but doesn't compare to his other works.

Has anyone read Ysabel?  The description has just never appealed to me so even though I am a big GGK fan, I have never read it.

Yes, Ysabel has a few characters in common with Fionavar.

5 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yes, Ysabel has a few characters in common with Fionavar.

How does it compare to his other works?

Kind of similar in themes and emotions seen in his other work.  It's been a while, I don't really remember a lot.  Old tragedy continuing on into the present, as it does with history.

13 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

How does it compare to his other works?

I'm not that far yet (only in the middle of Fionavar book 2 at the moment).  But I've seen several people say that Ysabel is his weakest book.

5 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

I'm not that far yet (only in the middle of Fionavar book 2 at the moment).  But I've seen several people say that Ysabel is his weakest book.

Thanks, won't put it on my to read list then!

23 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I think it is one of his weaker books, but I still enjoyed reading it. It perhaps doesn't have quite the same depth as some of his other books. The most obvious difference is that it is set in the present day (although history and mythology play a big role in it), there was something slightly disconcerting about pop-culture references in a GGK book.

Posted (edited)

Having just finished Tigana, I've realised that I have somehow managed to read The Fionavar Tapestry, The Last Light of the Sun, A Song for Arbonne, The Lions of Al-Rassan, Ysabel, and Tigana without actually liking any of them. Kay clearly has a strange addiction to me that transcends the actual story - I think it's the prose.

Tigana was a frustrating one - I actually enjoyed the first part, and was pleased by the magical element (which is otherwise minimal outside Fionavar), but as the book went on, I found it more and more bloated and problematic. I started cheering for Brandin half-way through when the Tigana terrorists started torturing people (and I do see them as terrorists). Oh, and while I have no problem at all with sex scenes, I'm rather scratching my head about the multi-page, lovingly described BDSM scene between our protagonist and a character who then plays no meaningful role in the story. I get that Kay was drawing a connection between an oppressive political situation and odd sexuality, but reading it in 2017, I don't find anything particularly odd about BDSM.

Oh, and I can't be the only one who thinks the Night Walkers/Others/Ember Nights bit influenced ASOIAF - the dead walking, and all that.

Edited by Roose Boltons Pet Leech

On 5/5/2009 at 6:40 PM, Foreverlad said:

Thank you for saving me the trouble of choosing between a new and old GGK thread.

I picked up Tigana awhile back but kept putting it aside. After finishing my most recent book and waiting for my next shipment to arrive, I gave the book another shot and I must say, I looooooove it.

Only halfway through, but he makes me feel like a kid reading fantasy for the first time all over again. I never know what's coming next or how things will play out. At this point I'm just along for the ride, waiting to see where the story will take me.

I could not get through this book! I actually asked Audible to refund my credit I found it so bad.