Werthead

Guy Gavriel Kay

348 posts in this topic

Thread resurrection!

Ha, wow, Lions has been sitting on my shelf for that long huh? Anyway About 80 page left, I like it a lot but there are some occasional eye rolling WE ARE MEN moments, which I understand is a bit of a GGK thing.

I can't remember what the bizarre sex scene was in Lions. There seems to be one in every GGK novel.

12 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I can't remember what the bizarre sex scene was in Lions. There seems to be one in every GGK novel.

Children of Earth and Sky has a nice shout out to the Bishop of Bath & Wells episode in Blackadder II, when the Seressan Ambassador gets presented with a picture of a prostitute sodomising him with a root vegetable.

Haha, I forgot about that one. The one that stands out for me is the early one in A Song for Arbonne in the throne room.

Lions has the part where the wife strings the husband up in a barn and beats him around a bit. Nothing that strange considering some of the more bizarre SFF stuff out there now.

Posted (edited)

On 14/01/2018 at 6:22 PM, Pecan said:

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the style of prose GGK is using in these novels, where he switches occasionally into the present tense. I don't hate it, exactly, but it feels a bit gimmicky to me. I don't know how long he's been doing that, but he does it a lot in both books. I've not read Under Heaven or Ysabel yet, so I'm not sure when this started. I don't recall that technique being present in Last Light of the Sun, which was the last novel I had read of his before about two weeks ago. 

(I know this post is like 3 months old but I thought I'd chime in anyway).

I think The Last Light of the Sun actually is the first time he incorporated that tense-shift into his writing.

It's used in the sections with the Fairy, can't recall her name right now. 

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it either. Present-tense is also used in Under Heaven and actually feels even more discordant... The usage in Last Light at least made sense to convey that a certain character perceived the world differently, but otherwise it feels somewhat incongruous to me.

It's not intolerable or anything (GGK remains my favourite author) but it's... odd.

Edited by Macadangdang Jr.

Posted (edited)

He used it in River of Stars for the poet woman, right? I actually thought it worked well there, reflected how she saw the world differently (more immediately?). 

Generally I dislike third person present tense though, even more so when it's dropped into a book that otherwise isn't. 

Edited by crowganic