True Blood II

Lupigis

Maryann is indeed quite neat. I was surprised to see that Sam's connection with her was so brief -- I had assumed he'd fallen under her sway as Tara has, but apparently not.

I was also expecting them to have a long history. I am really looking forward to how the conflict between Sam and Maryanne will develop. Are Maryanne's powers related to herself/others having sex? She clearly wanted Tara to have sex with Eggs, and something weird happened in the flashback when she was having sex with Sam.

The interactions between Sookie, Bill and Jessica should also be entertaining to watch. Let's hope they keep Jason toned down, though. I hate the thought of him being dumb comic relief for another season.

I just noticed something. I had to check the synopsis on HBO's website to remember Eggs name. I that synopsis there is a short scene after Sam leaves Maryann's house that wasn't shown in the episode.

SPOILER: From HBO's synopsis
He snaps out of it as Karl returns to inform him that Maryann is asleep. As Sam leaves, he notices the giant pig outside, watching him.

Just a little tidbit. I wonder what/who that giant pig really is?

Linda first thought it was some weird cult with guys wearing tinfoil hats... Heh.

I thought the same thing. Didn't realize what the tinfoil was for until my wife told me.

I stopped watching S1 about halfway thru last year, but caught the finale. Pretty interesting opening S2 episode.

Enjoyed the interaction between Lafayette and the dumb hick, but what was up with the random Conan-like Wheel of Pain contraption in the basement? Just a cool prop, or is it actually powering something?

And I hated Maryanne's verbal beatdown of Tara's mom. She had just gotten straight and looked like despite realizing the voodoo doctor was a phony, she was going to stay on the straight and narrow. After that tongue-lashing, I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we see her, she's back to being a junkie, which would just hurt Tara even more. So bravo for that, Maryanne.

I think the biggest problem I have with the show is that the scenes between the two main actors (Sookie and Bill) are the weakest part of the show, IMO. I'm much more interested in the supporting charaters like Tara, Lafayette, Sam, Eric, etc.

I think the biggest problem I have with the show is that the scenes between the two main actors (Sookie and Bill) are the weakest part of the show, IMO. I'm much more interested in the supporting charaters like Tara, Lafayette, Sam, Eric, etc.

Agreed... though I enjoy Bill when he's interacting with the non-Sookie characters. The Bill-Jessica scenes this episode were comedy gold.

Enjoyed the interaction between Lafayette and the dumb hick, but what was up with the random Conan-like Wheel of Pain contraption in the basement? Just a cool prop, or is it actually powering something?

I don't think it was hooked up to anything, because they seemed to only move it when one of them needed to visit the bucket.

Agreed... though I enjoy Bill when he's interacting with the non-Sookie characters. The Bill-Jessica scenes this episode were comedy gold.

The Bill-Jessica scenes are definitely a hoot.

Bill: "My friend will be coming over later."

Jessica: "Can we eat her?"

Bill: "You may NOT!"

I don't think it was hooked up to anything, because they seemed to only move it when one of them needed to visit the bucket.

Hmm. That's a little disappointing. When I first saw it, I thought it was a tribute to Conan the Barbarian. Still pretty freaky looking, though.

Maryanne's takedown of Tara's mother was definitely not done out of a spirit of forthright honesty. I'm pretty sure this is her MO. She's tearing down Tara's mother to make Tara even more beholden to her. So ... while it was quite the tongue-lashing, and everything in it appears to be a true appraisal of the situation, the motives for it are deeply suspect.

So ... while it was quite the tongue-lashing, and everything in it appears to be a true appraisal of the situation, the motives for it are deeply suspect.

Moreover, wrt to the tongue lashing, I cannot help but suspect that it's one helluva case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Even though it was brief, Sam's previous interaction with Maryann has clearly left him pretty frightened and he's taken on vampires before, even when outnumbered. This, I think, does not bode well. Plus, maybe's it's the Deadwood fan in me but anyone who not just keeps, but hangs out with big fuckin' Paul Bunyan pigs (as I think Tara coined it) is someone to be seriously feared.

Hmm. That's a little disappointing. When I first saw it, I thought it was a tribute to Conan the Barbarian. Still pretty freaky looking, though.

It looks like it could have served some other purpose at one time, but the building seems relatively new. Dunno, but they've got centuries to come up with stuff, seems like there would be less troublesome ways to be assholes than assembling that wheel to latch human prisoners to.

I'm afraid that Maryanne's take down of mom is going to cause mom to backslide.. that is going to tear Tara apart wanting to help or stay with Maryanne which will force her to have to decide between the two. In the end she will stick with Mom.

Or not!

:)

Overall I enjoyed the episode a lot and agree with the comments about Bill/Jessica/Sookie... Funny stuff!

My feelings on just how self-serving MaryAnn's takedown of Tara's mom is comes down to

so what ?

Was anything she said even a lil bit less than true ? Wether it was pot/kettle/black, Tara's mother is completely and utterly undeserving of a single bit of sympathy. I guess its one of those questions to ponder.

If a harsh but true message is delivered by a less than stellar messenger, is the truth of the message diluted ?

Not to me.

It looks like it could have served some other purpose at one time, but the building seems relatively new. Dunno, but they've got centuries to come up with stuff, seems like there would be less troublesome ways to be assholes than assembling that wheel to latch human prisoners to.

I'm still holding onto the theory that it actually serves a purpose that will be revealed down the road. If only because if it just served for lavatory purposes, it's completely impractical. Why not just get a bucket for everyone instead of building that thing to have them share one bucket?

It probably does a good job of inspiring terror, too.

Tara's mother is completely and utterly undeserving of a single bit of sympathy.

I'd disagree. Yeah, she was an addict and did a terrible job raising Tara. But now she's actually making an effort to rehabilitate herself and make amends. Why is she "completely and utterly undeserving" of sympathy for trying to atone for her sins of the past?

May as well just fuck it all and go back on drugs then.

I'd disagree. Yeah, she was an addict and did a terrible job raising Tara. But now she's actually making an effort to rehabilitate herself and make amends. Why is she "completely and utterly undeserving" of sympathy for trying to atone for her sins of the past?

May as well just fuck it all and go back on drugs then.

Have you been watching the show ? Tara's mother is an alcholic, she has prolly never used drugs in her life.

And how did she try to "atone" ? by turning her back on Tara and refusing to bond her out of jail or give her a place to stay when she got into trouble even once. Thats why in my book she gets nary a scrap of sympathy. I'm sorry, but a few days or weeks, even months of new-found sobriety don't come close to even when weighed against a coupla decades of abusing your daughter, both physically and emotionally. Make amends ? not even. She is just switching her addiction from booze to a pathetic obsession with "the Lord" and using that as an excuse to be just as abusive to her daughter as she has always been.

Have you been watching the show ? Tara's mother is an alcholic, she has prolly never used drugs in her life.

I already said above I only watched half of S1 before stopping. So I may have missed some stuff and mixed up drugs with alcohol. So sorry

And how did she try to "atone" ? by turning her back on Tara and refusing to bond her out of jail or give her a place to stay when she got into trouble even once.

She tried to atone by getting clean and being an actual mother to her child. I don't recall her refusing to pay her bond (must've missed that episode), but if I had to guess why she would do that, she probably thought Tara was into some bad shit and decided to dole out some tough love.

Make amends ? not even. She is just switching her addiction from booze to a pathetic obsession with "the Lord" and using that as an excuse to be just as abusive to her daughter as she has always been.

Whatever works to break the addiction. Turning into a religious nut wouldn't be my first choice, but far better than continuing down the road she was going.

Murderering psychopaths, pedophiles, rapists, etc. These are the types that I think of that might be completely undeserving of sympathy. Alcoholic parent trying to rehabilitate and reconcile with their kid? Hardly

I already said above I only watched half of S1 before stopping. So I may have missed some stuff and mixed up drugs with alcohol. So sorry

She tried to atone by getting clean and being an actual mother to her child. I don't recall her refusing to pay her bond (must've missed that episode), but if I had to guess why she would do that, she probably thought Tara was into some bad shit and decided to dole out some tough love.

Whatever works to break the addiction. Turning into a religious nut wouldn't be my first choice, but far better than continuing down the road she was going.

Murderering psychopaths, pedophiles, rapists, etc. These are the types that I think of that might be completely undeserving of sympathy. Alcoholic parent trying to rehabilitate and reconcile with their kid? Hardly

As you said, you missed a significant portion of season one, so there is a huge hole there in regards to your making a judgement.

In regards to degrees I'm not so quick to not relate horribly abusive parents in the same vein as murderes, rapist etc. Esp since the one thing almost all murdering pychopaths and rapist seem to share in common is a horrible parent/guardian.

As depicted on the show, Tara's mother is a monster. When drinking and now without. Hopefully you'll catch up on the episodes you missed and see where that judgement comes from.

I think Tara's mother remains a horrible woman. But she's marginally less horrible as a holy roller than she was as an alcoholic. So the fact that Maryanne's cut-down might send her back to that is not a good thing for her.

More importantly, Maryanne's motives are suspect because she has designs on Tara, not on Tara's mother. To whatever degree that attack on Tara's mother pushed her plans forward (assuming, as seems fair to guess, that they are nefarious plans), this is a bad thing both for Tara and for her mother.

As depicted on the show, Tara's mother is a monster. When drinking and now without. Hopefully you'll catch up on the episodes you missed and see where that judgement comes from.

Fair enough. I'll try to watch the episodes I missed or at least read some recaps when I have a chance, and see if I can understand the hate for her better.

According to Entertainment Weekly, ratings are pretty good:

According to HBO, the bloody good episode averaged 3.7 million viewers, making it the pay cabler's most watched original program since the series finale of The Sopranos two years ago. What's more, the opener was up a staggering 157 percent over the season 1 premiere, and 51 percent over last November's season finale.

If this keeps up we'll see a third season for sure!

I think Tara's mother remains a horrible woman. But she's marginally less horrible as a holy roller than she was as an alcoholic. So the fact that Maryanne's cut-down might send her back to that is not a good thing for her.

Is she horrible or is she weak? I would submit her behavior is function/result of her weakness...would leads me to believe she is being set up for redemption late. No, I haven't read the books. Just my southern Gothic 2cents.

Archived