Little Update

If she's young enough to play Dany and is good, then being unknown isn't a problem, really. This could be her big break.

The question is whether or not she's good enough, of course. The trouble with Dany is that she basically carries a whole plotline on her own for at least three books/seasons, so she needs to be very good in order to sustain the interest. Most of the other characters have other major characters to bounce off at least some of the time, but Dany only has Drogo, Viserys and Jorah, none of whom are what I'd call 'main' characters.

That's very cool. Someone's got to get the role, why not her?

I was friends with a guy many years back who auditioned for Frodo in LotR way back when. He got as far as having his audition tape sent to Peter Jackson by the Casting Director, but obviously he didn't get the role. He'd never read the books so the night before at a bar I basically told him the whole plot and my take on Frodo. I never thought he looked much like a Hobbit, even 10 years ago when he was much younger than he is in the pictures I linked to. Maybe could have been Merry or Pippin, though.

Hmmm, maybe he should be considered for some roles in this. He is Irish, but from Dublin. Not sure how that works with the UK casting issue, but he has been in some very big West End theater productions so he should have his Equity card.

She goes to Trinity College Dublin, she's Irish pretty sure she's an unknown maybe done a little small TV acting but doubt anything major, which is maybe a bit worrying..... My friend hasn't got back to me yet asked him a few other questions about her (i've never met her).

Cool, thanks for the info. I suspect they are going to be looking at quite a few unknown actors for the younger characters.

Hmmm, maybe he should be considered for some roles in this. He is Irish, but from Dublin. Not sure how that works with the UK casting issue, but he has been in some very big West End theater productions so he should have his Equity card.

I was wondering that myself yesterday. Given the Dany candidate is Irish too, I imagine there is few restrictions between the 2 countries when it comes to acting.

Good luck to your friend's friend Growing Stronger!

I believe most Irish actors, especially those looking for film and/or TV careers, join Equity simply because there is a much greater demand for their talents in the UK than in the Republic, and also because British television is widely available in the Republic, which attracts Irish actors. As fellow EU states, it is likely easier for Irish actors to also work in the UK than non-EU ones, a process that may or may not be also affected by Ireland and the UK's closer-than-normal ties (the process of travelling from the UK to Ireland is much more relaxed than even going between other EU states, likely because Ireland is the only country to share a land border with the UK). Finally, Northern Ireland and the Republic have a great deal of cooperation in certain areas, which again may play a role.

Equity's website, even the FAQ section, is remarkably unforthcoming on the precise rules pertaining to foreign actors, except that 'famous' foreign actors can work in the UK without a problem due to visa exemption schemes.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they get a doable Daenerys (no pun intended) for the pilot, and recast her with a bigger actress if the show gets picked up.

All her scenes would be easy to reshoot without continuity problems, because most of the cast are on another continent altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they get a doable Daenerys (no pun intended) for the pilot, and recast her with a bigger actress if the show gets picked up.

All her scenes would be easy to reshoot without continuity problems, because most of the cast are on another continent altogether.

They could be fairly expensive, though - depending on how they go about shooting the wedding scene.

Brude and some of you others know alot more about the biz than I do, but at this point I would be really, really surprised if HBO was going to the trouble of renting out Piant Hall without the intention of moving forward. It seems like a hell of alot of trouble to start an overseas production with such a huge cast, just do a pilot, then decide it was too expensive. I'm certain HBO wants to reserve its final decision until the pilot is filmed, but I've got to assume that this far along in the process, barring a horribly acted/directed pilot, they are committed to the project seeing the light of day.

That said, I really doubt they would give such a major role as Dany to someone they plan on replacing at a later date. I would think they would want the large part of the ensemble together to start imagining the way the dialogue will play between the players.

I believe most Irish actors, especially those looking for film and/or TV careers, join Equity simply because there is a much greater demand for their talents in the UK than in the Republic, and also because British television is widely available in the Republic, which attracts Irish actors. As fellow EU states, it is likely easier for Irish actors to also work in the UK than non-EU ones, a process that may or may not be also affected by Ireland and the UK's closer-than-normal ties (the process of travelling from the UK to Ireland is much more relaxed than even going between other EU states, likely because Ireland is the only country to share a land border with the UK). Finally, Northern Ireland and the Republic have a great deal of cooperation in certain areas, which again may play a role.

Equity's website, even the FAQ section, is remarkably unforthcoming on the precise rules pertaining to foreign actors, except that 'famous' foreign actors can work in the UK without a problem due to visa exemption schemes.

Generally speaking any citizen from an EU member state can move and work throughtout the E.U. without restriction. I would imagin that it's unlikely that that ASOIF is going to film in the UK or Ireland it's much more likely to be eastern europe either the Czech Republic, Bulgaria or one of the FYR's to keep costs down :hat:

Not to be a naysayer or downer but I have to hope that they don't pull what they did with the Golden Compass and cast a young actor/actress for any really meaty and important role that cannot act. I know it is hard to find really good acting kids/teens (just watch any Disney Channel production to see how many horrible tween actors are out there) but some of the roles in the books ... ESPECIALLY Dany are just to big, important, nuanced to leave to inexperienced or under-talented performers. I would also say Arrya and Bran fall into this category and so do Sansa and Jeoffrey (Rickon, Mycella, Tommen are probably write offs). Having said that I hope your friend of a friend is super talented and gets a shot.

On another note. Anybody care to speculate if Dinklage being announced first is an indication that he will be the "biggest" star in the project or just the most critical role vs available talent? Any speculation on how long from first announced cast to other/full casting on TV shows?

Lastly, I wan't to put a emphatic suggestion out there for a hometown boy who I have not seen get ANY play on the site so far:

Shane Brolly

1. He was born in Belfast! 2. His IMDB does not show any projects in production! 3. He rocks and might fit a number of roles!

I personally think of him as Bronn but he is such a talented and fairly big name that perhpas he might need a bigger role? Any suggestions?

On another note. Anybody care to speculate if Dinklage being announced first is an indication that he will be the "biggest" star in the project or just the most critical role vs available talent? Any speculation on how long from first announced cast to other/full casting on TV shows?

I wouldn't expect anyone "bigger" than that other than possibly for the relatively brief role of Ned Stark. Though I'm a member of the Gillian Anderson for Catelyn fanclub.

But that's how these thing's work, right? Relatively unknown talent to an HBO series then on to fame afterward. From an American perspective, the biggest name in Deadwood, was Keith freaking Carradine. Now everyone knows Ian McShane, Brad Dourif, and Timothy Olyphant etc. Powers Boothe came later on (and out of retirement as far as I can tell; glad he did.) Kristen Bell had a great turn on that show before I'd ever heard of her. (Ithink she was already doing some broadcast TV though.) Idris Elba? Dominic West? Kevin McKidd? Ray Stevenson? Did anyone know who these people were before HBO got a hold of them? Did anyone know who anyone was on the Sopranos other than the guy that played for Springsteen and that one guy from True Romance? And really, everyone else in these aforementioned shows that isn't making summer blockbuster movies now were incredibly good as well.

HBO will find the talent. I will have never heard of most of them, if any. And I have no worries about this.

Might be that he was the most crucial actor to get, so they went after him first, perhaps? After all, the role of Tyrion needs not just a fantastic actor, but also an actor with very specific physical characteristics, and Dinklage was almost everyone's only real suggestion. They might therefore have chased after him first, in order to secure him for the role. Other roles might have 'favourite' suggestions, but there is a wider pool of talent to choose from, so it might take a bit longer for them to settle on a first choice.

Dan & Dave have said that the pilot will cover the chapters from the Prologue to the line, "the things I do for love." In that span is the first Dany chapter. The script that got released, assuming it's real (and it's likely a very early draft if it is), included the events of the first two Dany chapters including the wedding scene (which I just am realizing comes after the "things I do for love" line, hmmmm...). Whichever the case, it would seem that at the very least we'll see Dany, Viserys, Ilyrio, Khal Drogo and some of his immediate followers. If we get the wedding scene, there will be a lot more Dothraki extras besides.

Archived