An official PC & next-gen game for ASOIAF

Evrach

I wonder if the RPG game will try to follow characters from the books, or unknowns questing with the Game of Thrones going on all around them. I hope for the latter, with a chance meeting with a few of the book characters.

I'm a little worried about the 2 year turnaround time on the first game. Either its going to take them alot longer and this is just a best case scenario or they are going to pump out something cheap and slopped together to make some quick cash. I would prefer quality to quickness.

Dominions 3 is a multiplayer, turn-based PBEM which seems to do a very nice job of something I mentioned earlier: making battles feel more like real battles in the era. I'll quote the relevant bit in this review:

Combat in Dominions 3 is unlike combat in any game I have ever played. During a player's turn, one may assign soldiers to commanders and break them into formations of any size, and arrange those formations on the battlefield as desired. Each unit may be given an order, and commanders may be given specific orders for the first five rounds of combat, as well as a general order to follow thereafter. But one has no control of what actually happens in combat. Battles are resolved by the computer “between” turns and the results are announced, along with casualties, along with other beginning-of-turn messages like random events.

If anyone out at Cyanide is browsing the forum on occasion, do give the above some consideration. I can see how to do something like that in a game TW-type game where tactical battles are played out directly and in real time: allow initial total control of one's force, but after the initial contact start having only occasional periods in which you can directly direct units to change their specific orders and whatnot (making allowances for reserves and any units directly under control of your lead general).

I don't know, I guess a lot of people would find it capricious in this day and age, but it'd really make things feel a lot more realistic. Most battle plans never survived contact with the enemy anyways. ;)

Hope the first one is the rpg! IMO it will probably be done 3rd person (I hope!!) and in the vein of Baldurs Gate 1 (with fixed destinations you can visit on the world map) GRRM's world is otherwise too large to be mapped out otherwise i.e. via freeroaming unless they severly restrict players to specific area's.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Blood Bowl game was released recently, and got pretty good reviews:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/bloodbow...%3B3&page=1

This is only one of the reviews, but I assume most of them are in the same vein, which is about 7/10. So, a pretty solid game, and it shows that Cyanide isn't a terrible choice. At least we know they can make games without totally screwing them up.

Two years that's it... then good luck Cyanide Studios 2 years isn't that long of a time to develop a game now hope they can pull if off but i hope there not afraid to push back the date if they have to

Has anyone played the Blood Bowl game by Cyanide yet?

I have and it is pretty good. I play the tabletop game as well and I can say that without a doubt, the "classic" gameplay mode for Blood Bowl is dead on to the table top game/rules and the AI can be tough to play against on the hardest setting without feeling that the game is cheating to increase the difficulty. I have not played the real time rule-set for the computer game, I'm having too much fun with the game to try anything different yet.

I have and it is pretty good. I play the tabletop game as well and I can say that without a doubt, the "classic" gameplay mode for Blood Bowl is dead on to the table top game/rules and the AI can be tough to play against on the hardest setting without feeling that the game is cheating to increase the difficulty. I have not played the real time rule-set for the computer game, I'm having too much fun with the game to try anything different yet.

Sounds good, but it's a shame there isn't a demo out. I'm intrigued by it (I like sports games and I like fantasy, so this should work) though I don't think I'd shell out £40 for a game I haven't been able to try.

• 2 months later...

If they have the rights to an RTS and a RPG, they may well make the RTS first as its possibly cheaper, and easier/quicker to make. If it does well and makes them money then they can think about an RPG.

I have to think that the best kind of strategy game they could for this is more of a Total war style (yes I've seen the westeros mod).

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone not tried to do an Oblivion knock off ASOIAF yet, the PC game comes with developer toolset...

I ask because Bioware is releasing Dragon Age Origins with a toolset as well for the PC player.

I'd love to see an RPG build around the gameplay mechanics that Bioware or Bethesda use (combo of both would be best).

Archived