NBA

ZANNI_1276

Well the last thread was locked...So onto the Conference Finals and the Trophy - and for others, checking out prospects...

To continue Jamie...

But then I stop and think about how the Magic Brass shipped Grant Hill outta town, even though he was a good teammate, good leader and all-around good guy because they believed his mere presence would hinder Howard's development as a team leader. Which beside being one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, reflects to me that they're hyperaware of every single aspect surrounding Howard.

Well, you have to remember they had Billy Donnovan signed sealed and delivered - Stan was plan B. Best decision of Billy's life. The Grant Hill thing, considering that PHO signed him for a pittance, maybe keeping him on for some veteran leadership wouldn't have been a bad idea. Because IMO there is NO veterans to help/guide Howard or really anyone else on that team. Van Gundy is what he is - bottom line is if they wanted to develop him as a superstar big man they should have signed an aging vet, who knows the tricks of the trade to literally whip his ass everyday in practice. Granted the David Robinson/Tim Duncan scenario is absolute perfect world but they should have brought in a guy that could have mentored him and pushed him instead of just handing the keys to a 22 year old kid that is having some troubles developing not only into a leader but more importantly having someone help him on certain aspects of his game.

The thread subtitle reminds me of the biggest thing I'm looking forward to this month: the NBA Lottery.

Played the draft lottery predictor on ESPN and got Ricky Rubio to the Wizards the first three times I tried. But really it's all about Blake Griffin. I mean this is the thinnest draft I can recall in recent memory, but man, Griffin game would be just perfect for what the Wizards (and basically every other lottery team) need. To me, he's the most complete college big man since Tim Duncan. though I don't think he'll ever be as much of a technician. He's worth 10 wins immediately to any lottery team, and to the Wizards it's probably more like 30 if you factor in a healthy season for the key parts. And you get a PF/C that you can plug in for the next 10 years. Love the guy.

Beyond him, I'm a little intrigued by Ricky Rubio..but the risk alone seems to make a huge leap from the first pick to the second. But at least he seems to have potential. And after Rubio? Whole lotta nothing as far as I can tell, unless you think Thabeet can be the next Mutumbo but I sure wasn't impressed by him in the tournament. The lottery seems filled with undersized guards that don't seem to bear any resemblence to the Chris Pauls and Brandon Roys of the wrold. Really all the drama is in the lottery: either win it or have a depressing draft night. But as the Wiz only got a 18% chance of winning it (y'know to match the 18 wins they had), it's probably going to be the latter. Aw fuck, I'm depressed already. Doubly so if Griffin goes to the Kings.

Well the last thread was locked...So onto the Conference Finals and the Trophy - and for others, checking out prospects...

To continue Jamie...

Well, you have to remember they had Billy Donnovan signed sealed and delivered - Stan was plan B. Best decision of Billy's life. The Grant Hill thing, considering that PHO signed him for a pittance, maybe keeping him on for some veteran leadership wouldn't have been a bad idea. Because IMO there is NO veterans to help/guide Howard or really anyone else on that team. Van Gundy is what he is - bottom line is if they wanted to develop him as a superstar big man they should have signed an aging vet, who knows the tricks of the trade to literally whip his ass everyday in practice. Granted the David Robinson/Tim Duncan scenario is absolute perfect world but they should have brought in a guy that could have mentored him and pushed him instead of just handing the keys to a 22 year old kid that is having some troubles developing not only into a leader but more importantly having someone help him on certain aspects of his game.

Agreed, that's the standard way you handle young stars. Seems stupid to me the Magic were so deadset on going the other way. If Howard's going to lead, as his team's best player, he'll claim those reins as soon as he's ready. Do they really believe Grant Hill is preventing him from reaching his true leadership potential? Really?

The draft lottery is next tuesday, right? I think it would be pretty cool if Griffin (like LJ) stayed in the state he was born and grew up in - Oklahoma. The Thunder have a 11.9% chance of that happening. If they just hold on to their pick I expect them to choose between Hill, Harden and possibly Jennings.

Gents,

How have you been.

I few drops of wisdom:

Look not sure how much blame you can put on Ron Jeremy - he isn't out there blowing leads and playing dumb ball but I will say the man is wound so tight and creates some unneeded tension internally for the Magic.

Yeah, it's probably unfair to blame him for this

You are far too nice.

It is his fault. Sure he didnt choke away a 14 point lead directly but indirect he did. What the f* was he saying to his players during time outs and why didnt he act in the next to when he saw they didnt respond? Alston not pushing the ball? Get him out of there! Turkolu holding on to the rock? Pull his ass for Pietrus!

Confront your players in the f*ing huddle! Why are you holding the ball? Why arent you dumping it to Howard? Who told you to milk the clock?

Orlando's problem is that they dont have a real slasher who can get to the rim. Turk tries but he's slow as sh*t and lacks the athletic abillity to change directions fast so when help defense shows up he ends up taking off balance shots.

But why do I care? I want Boston to win.

Speaking of which,

does any body know what ails garnett? Is there a time table for his return? If he's seriously f*cked up why doesnt he get surgery like Powe did?

Out west Denver takes care of business. I wrote before that the Billups trade messed up my prediction that Denver would be the most disapointing team. They will push the Lakers to the max and maybe even take them, depending on Billups.

Yeah Houston plays great, didnt break our heart in the first round, showed tremendous heart in game 4 but (of course) a key player suffers a season ending injury ( sound familiar?). In all I dont think they can take down the Lakers but they can exit through the front door with their heads held high.

god i hate the lakers.

It's good that the Rockets wiped the floor with them last night then :P.

I gotta say this, with T-Mac gone, I'm actually liking this Rockets team. They have a great team spirit, guys stepping up tp the challenge (Scola, Brooks). With Artest's screws all tight and in place in his head, he is a very dangerous player. It's hard to see them take game 7 in LA, but what they have done without their top 2 players (and without T-Mac also :P) is applaudable whatever the outcome.

It's good that the Rockets wiped the floor with them last night then :P.

I gotta say this, with T-Mac gone, I'm actually liking this Rockets team. They have a great team spirit, guys stepping up tp the challenge (Scola, Brooks). With Artest's screws all tight and in place in his head, he is a very dangerous player. It's hard to see them take game 7 in LA, but what they have done without their top 2 players (and without T-Mac also :P) is applaudable whatever the outcome.

I too am consistently amazed that the Rockets can keep this up. Losing TMac seemed huge, but the team rallied and looked even stronger. The team lost Mutumbo, who has showed up the playoffs throughout his career, and didn't even slow down. Losing Yao would seem like a death blow, but now they just pass around the perimeter and slash. The idea that a team of role players with no star can win in the NBA is pretty crazy. Detroit a few years back is the closest thing, and this Rockets team is sort of reminding me of them (they're certainly taking it to the Lakers).

Are the Lakers really this bad? Does Phil Jackson even care? His press conference sounded positively uninterested. Bryant too. I understand that championship teams show poise through adversity, but this isn't like losing by two to Duncan/Ginobli/Parker in San Antonio. This is losing badly, twice in three games, to a team that, on paper at least, you have dominated. I would expect someone to be pissed, and call out their team to show some fire.

Speaking of which,

does any body know what ails garnett? Is there a time table for his return? If he's seriously f*cked up why doesnt he get surgery like Powe did?

It has been quietly eluded to that it is a torn ACL at least that is what I have only heard speculated. Now officially they have not put any reports or updates. It would make a little sense but it could be ACL, micro-fracture or plain old creaky knees with a lot of miles. I would not be surprised and I will probably be wrong but IF they advance past ORL, and I think they will, I bet he suits up and BOS lets him give it go against CLE. I know it sounds insane if he has that kind of injury but I can see them making him hobble out there ala Willis Reed for either some emotional boost or an even more insanely crazy notion, thinking he can play effectively in spurts with that kind of injury. I have come to the conclusion I want BOS to win the ORL series. With KG or without I really, really want CLE to send them home crying, not ORL but that is just a personal preference for my own gratification. (KG especially – and he will actually cry folks)

Not into the draft/watching prospects yet, couple of big guys I have my eye on, I hope Jodie Meeks, who is going to be a star at the pro level, falls to the absolute end of the first round so my guys can suck him up. Blake is going be a monster and a smidge intrigued with Jennings and admittedly a little too with Ricky Rubio, he looked really good in international play but I am not sure if I could draft an ex- member of Menudo.

The Lakers played like shit and on top of that they were so flippant about the whole “yeah, we’ll just go back home and beat these guys†attitude, it is not exactly what I would call the “killer instinct†that is widely mis-advertised about this team. Hey guys – it was a “close out†game ya know?? You could have ended it but instead did the complete opposite, got out played, out hustled and outmatched in every aspect. Big mistake giving this team one more crack at you, don’t care how good the home cooking is. Also they best be praying that they can survive the HOU game 7, the thuggish play of the Nuggets and hope the Cavs loose in the conference finals because the attitude of “we’ll just win at home†isn’t going to work – only three games at home if the CAVS are your opponents. I hated how arrogant both Phil and Kobe sounded, I was half expecting Kobe to respond with that stupid snicker, “Hey man, Nike already told the NBA it is going to be me 'n ‘Bron in the Finals so quit your worryingâ€. Is there a more unlikeable guy in sports? That is a thread all in itself though!

Going to be an interesting Sunday, I am really hoping the rockets can pull it off, just curious which Jekyll and which Hyde team are going to show up.

It has been quietly eluded to that it is a torn ACL at least that is what I have only heard speculated. Now officially they have not put any reports or updates. It would make a little sense but it could be ACL, micro-fracture or plain old creaky knees with a lot of miles.

My bet is on torn cartilage. If it was an ACL he would probably be in surgery already. Or who knows, maybe the knee is arthritic. Could also be extreme tendinitis. For the latter two the only real cure is rest.

well Joey Crawford is the ref for the Hou/LA game today, figures, he seems to be Stern's go to guy when he wants an outcome

in the last two years Lakers are 7-1 in the playoffs when Crawford refs (only loss is that blowout to Boston in the Finals last year), and 14-10 when he doesn't. That's a pretty incredible statistic.

as a laker fan i have grown quite disgusted with this team win or lose today and i find i'm pretty indifferent towhich. if the team don't care i sure as hell don't. Gasol needs to show up Odom needs to show up and kobe needs to learn to trust his teammates again no need to start jackin ridiculous contested jumpers because Pau started 0for 2. Fisher is something like -70 in the series so ithink we could go ahead and start jordan please.

I cant believe that Houston can win this game/series. I have to believe that LA and Boston come out of this today.

Well agree with you on Orlando - I too think it is all but done. Disagree with you about HOU, I really believe Houston has a legitmate shot of beating LA today.

Well, looks like the Celtics flat ran out of gas. The Magic should be thanking the Bulls for pushing the Celtics to the absolute limit in round one. But, hey, they did their part and seized the a moment. If you watch Game 7, you wonder how the Celtics were even able to extend it that far seemingly entirely with smoke and mirrors. Though I guess you can say the same about the Rockets.

So the good news is now we get the two biggest freaks in the league, Lebron and Howard matching up against one another. Really that's the one thing I'm looking forward to in this series: Lebron attacking the rim as Howard tries to defend it. Howard's maybe the only guy in the league who can physically match Lebron's size and athleticism. But I sincerely doubt he can match his intensity and need to dominate. I have a feeling the King will not be gentle with him. I'm guessing 5 games though a sweep wouldn't surprise me.

Nuggets-Lakers should be a feast for the eyes, but I don't think it'll be as close as most people think. Nuggets are going to really miss not having a Shane Battier on their roster.

Really that's the one thing I'm looking forward to in this series: Lebron attacking the rim as Howard tries to defend it.

The odds are completely stacked in lebron's favor. Howard only has 6 fouls to work with.

Congrats to the Magic. Howard's too good inside, and their snipers are too good beyond the arc. Good ball movement all around on Orlando's part. Good luck with LeBron, they'll need it.

I think I'll adopt Denver as my team now that my Celts are out. Melo and Chauncy should be fun to watch, and I've got some friends from Colorado, they seem like nice people over there.

Anything being made out of Kobe going back to Colorado, the state where he was on trial not that long ago? Seems like it's being underplayed.

Archived