NBA

ZANNI_1276

Sitting at #3, they absolutely must consider Thabeet. I was thinking about Harden since I think they need an upgrade at SG rather than at C.

By the way, I need to ask a question about the fundamentals of basketball... Why is it such an advantage to be the home team?

Quick answer is the crowd is pro - home team. Another is the proximity of the fans to the actually playing field/court, it is a pretty intimate atmosphere where the interaction is unlike any of the other major sports. With that being said players are human, they respond to boos and heckles differently but it can get into your head - both in a good way and a bad way, opposing players jaw with the home fans, fans taunt opposing players almost without mercy saying really quite unthinkable things where in football stadium or baseball stadium it isn't quite that intimate. The home team feeds off the energy almost like a WWE event - literally gets the addrenaline going. More importantly - the refs are human and despite what Stern says, they have radar ears and hear every boo and heckle. You would think at the level the refs wouldn't feel the need to be "liked" or accepted but I guess when you 19,000+ people booing the crap out of you, calling you every name in the book they feel a need to pacify them and be liked by them. I know it sounds strange but it happens in many venues in the league - I can't remember who they were playing but it was Utah at home this year the refs were getting so much shit from the home crowd they started blowing the whistle IMO just settle the crowd and the verbal abuse they were taking. At least that is my take why home court is so valuable.

Also there was a couple of "mock" drafts i saw already had Darden going three, that is the reason i mentioned it...

Great Nuggets-Lakers game last night. Really felt like the Nuggets outplayed 'em all game, but just got careless down the stretch. Was really impressed with the kind of physical defense they played; like night and day from prior years. Melo versus Bryant was particularly enjoyable to watch.

But that's not what I want to talk about.

The Clippers win the draft lottery and the top 5 looks like this:

1. Los Angeles Clippers

2. Memphis Grizzlies

3. Oklahoma City Thunder

4. Sacramento Kings

5. Washington Wizards

What do you guys think about a possible Durant, Westbrook and Harden combination in the lineup? And when will OCT be able to get a season with a winning record?

The NBA Lottery is infuriating. Absurd. Ridiculous.

Wasn't happy that the Wizards didn't get a top 2 pick, but I would've just sucked up my disappointment had any team but the Clippers won. The fucking Clippers get Blake Griffin. The worst run franchise in sports gets rewarded for another year of failing so completely at what they do. They're tied for thee Magic now with winning the #1 pick the most times in the NBA, they've picked in the top 5 how many times this decade...in the top 10 every year but once in the last, what, 20 years? And what have they done with all these largesse bestowed by the league? They've continued to be the worst franchise in sports.This isn't the Lions getting the #1 pick; I'm fine with that...you need more than 1 guy to win at football (heck you need more than 5 or even 10), so it's not like you're rewarding incompetence to close to the same degree. There you're just giving the bad teams, hopefully, a little lift for competitive parity (though it doesn't always work out that way.) But in the NBA? It's pretty much all about that one guy. Does anyone think the Cavs or Magic even sniff where they're at if they didn't happen to win the lottery during their respective years? How can this be seen as anything but rewarding their atrocious 2002 and 2004 seasons respectively? The Clippers out and out quit last year, according to really anyone who watched them. They don't just suck like Kings, or were decimated by injuries like the Wizards, or were just too young like Thunder, they flat quit. We should have booted them down to the minors by now, the D-League, the CBA...not giving them a franchise player for the next 10 years for embarrassing their fans and literally ripping off their ticket holders. Watching Granik smile and shake the hands of that smug, mildly retarded Clippers exec, made me nauseous.

More and more I agree with Malcolm Gladwell's argument that professional sports is the one business in America where we reward losers precisely for their losing. His radical idea was to give every team the same chance at winning the lottery, regardless of what record they finished with. While that could lead to parity destroying outcomes like the Cavs getting Blake Griffin, at least we'd be getting rid of this bizarre, nonsensical incentive we give teams to tank it down the stretch. Teams should be scratching and clawing for every win...it should be seen as a real problem that they're not. And I'd be fine if it led to more inequities in the league...cause let's be honest the league is already inequitable. The Spurs don't win 4 titles, or even one, if they didn't just happen to get incredibly lucky in the draft after the one year David Robinson got injured. You want to help bad teams? Give them more free agent dollars than good ones at the very least to compensate them for the fact that FAs would much rather go to a title contender. But don't keep giving teams like the Clippers the first shot at the league's next big thing.

Or if you want a less extreme fix, Bill Simmons' idea that all lottery teams should have the same chance at winning the lottery also seems better to me. That way, we're not punishing the Pacers for playing hard all season long, even after they were eliminated. Only problem here is it might encourage fringe playoff teams to actively duck the playoffs knowing that they'll just get destroyed in round 1, and the knowledge that the next Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony are out there...guys who could make you a perennial championship contender, potentially yours if you get lucky. But that's still less of a problem than it is now, where the best players continue to be shipped off to the worst run, worst coached organizations. Where losing teams don't give a damn by the time February and March rolls around. That isn't good for anyone.

Great game last night, very impressed by the toughness of the Nuggets. Tough call in the end for the K-Mart reach in on Kobe, but it would have been a tough call either way.

I wish I put some money on Clippers winning the lottery. Looking back, it's very clear this was meant to be...

Re: the lottery

Jaime, for once, I completely disagree with you. I think the lottery system is fine and mostly works as intended. The alternative suggestions would make things infinitely worse. Every once in a while there is outrage about teams tanking on purpose, but a.) All things considered, it does not happen that often b.) It barely affects anything, both in terms of wins/losses and in winning the priced picks.

Where losing teams don't give a damn by the time February and March rolls around

That's gonna happen regardless. Plus, it's the NBA...Look at Lakers for example, it's May and they still don't give a damn half of the time. :P

That's gonna happen regardless. Plus, it's the NBA...Look at Lakers for example, it's May and they still don't give a damn half of the time. :P

When you play 82 games... its gonna happen regardless. The only worse possibility would be 164 games! Honestly, if I'm a player for a NBA or MLB team, how am I supposed to get worked up about one loss in the middle of the season? They all start to blur together eventually.

Watching Granik smile and shake the hands of that smug, mildly retarded Clippers exec, made me nauseous.

:rofl:

Rack'em!!!

I too like the Simmons theroy of all teams having an equal shot but they would rather over complicate it with those damn odds they dole out that make my head spin, stern must have a deal with odds makers at vegas on this one and gets a % of the house takes just to keep it that way.

Although honestly, I can't say I am upset for you - the Wizards were the one team I was PRAYING would not get the number 1 but dude come on stern - you can't slip the wizards the ole "cold envelope" to at least get them in the top 3??? But due the overall corruptness of the league there is no other way to avoid teams from pulling the old el tanko so unfortunately we are where we are...

I know you are upset Jamie but it could be worse, you could be Blake Griifin this morning. (insert Benny Hill theme)

Top 10 worst franchises in pro sports.

I have some quibbles with that list, but its a very topical debate considering our discussion.

Personally, I think any list that puts the Clippers at 10th worst is ridiculous. I also have issue with the Twins inclusion on the list. Otherwise, these are definitely some moribund programs... :ack:

Top 10 worst franchises in pro sports.

I have some quibbles with that list, but its a very topical debate considering our discussion.

Personally, I think any list that puts the Clippers at 10th worst is ridiculous. I also have issue with the Twins inclusion on the list. Otherwise, these are definitely some moribund programs... :ack:

That list is a bit strange including the twins, other than that it is a list you can flip upside down, play yatzee with it, and it is all the same. I am really surprised that some teams didn't make the cut.

Jaime, for once, I completely disagree with you. I think the lottery system is fine and mostly works as intended. The alternative suggestions would make things infinitely worse. Every once in a while there is outrage about teams tanking on purpose, but a.) All things considered, it does not happen that often b.) It barely affects anything, both in terms of wins/losses and in winning the priced picks.

Aww man! We had a great run going. :P

I think it doesn't happen flagrantly (ie: Pre Garnett/Allen Celtics) very often. But I think it's always there in the back of the minds of the execs, the coaches and the players on all these teams that they're always able to console themselves that while they may not have played well tonight, they maybe helped themselves longterm by improving their lottery chances. I mean this is classic moral hazard. We're creating incentives for teams not to play well. And there's a bunch of unintended consequences that result.

For example: The common thinking in the NBA is that 30-40 win teams will never be serious contenders. It's a kind of purgatory. They may get a little better as guys get more experience, but they'll never get over that hump without a superstar..and they'll never get that superstar because they end up with the 12-20th pick in the lottery/draft every year. So they're punished for being respectable. Have years of experience with this as a Wizards fan in the late 90s, and now again in the mid years of this decade. Note that it's the 17-25 win teams of today that will become the dynasties of tomorrow (excepting the Clippers of course) precisely due to the talent they'll have access to that the 30-40 win teams won't. The next emerging title contenders won't be coming out of Toronto or Philly or Indiana can tell you that much, not until they hit "rock bottom" in the Tyler Durden sense or they get really lucky. I don't see any reason we can't give these 30+ win teams the same chance at Blake Grififin as the Clippers, Wizards and Kings had. The top picks in this sport have infinitely more correlation to winning championships than the top picks in football and baseball. You'll find the lionshare of superstars in this league were taken in the top 5. Occasionally one slips out like a Brandon Roy or a Kobe Bryant (back before teams understood what they had with High Schoolers), but really picks 11 through the rest of the draft are just taking stabs at quality supporting guys. You still only go as far as your superstar can take you in this league, that still defines your ultimate ceiling..and if you don't have access to one of these different makers you're not winning titles anytime soon.

I've been bested. :P

I know you are upset Jamie but it could be worse, you could be Blake Griifin this morning. (insert Benny Hill theme)

Yeah, I really enjoyed watching Blake have to answer the question: "How do you feel now knowing that you're probably going to the Clippers?" He did a nice job mentioning how he was just excited to have a chance to play in the NBA, never mentioning the Clippers once. That was enjoyable.

I bet when he saw the final 3, he was salivating at a chance to play for OKC with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green. A shame too. Not only would he have been able to stay at home, but they'd instantly be one of the top 5 most exciting teams in the league.

Although honestly, I can't say I am upset for you - the Wizards were the one team I was PRAYING would not get the number 1 but dude come on stern - you can't slip the wizards the ole "cold envelope" to at least get them in the top 3???

Yeah, for purely selfish reasons, was shocked he didn't throw a bone to the #7 media market and all. And not even giving us a shot at Ricky Rubio as a consolation prize? He knows how much we love spaniards here!

Holy shit that was a great game. Did not see that coming. Lebron going for 49 and losing? Clutch shot after clutch shot by both teams. That was the most heart I've ever seen this Orlando team play with. Looks like we might have a series on our hands.

Two awesome game 1s in two days. Sometimes the NBA makes it all worthwhile.

I was amazed. I thought Mo Williams would shoot better especially after that crazy Hail Mary before halftime but man, he was cold as ice tonight. LeBron out-hustled his entire team but did not out-hustle the entire Magic team. I like both of these teams and I'm very pleased that it was so close. Jump ball with 1 second left, holy shit. And did I see freaking goaltending called? What is that? That never happens!

Holy shit that was a great game. Did not see that coming. Lebron going for 49 and losing? Clutch shot after clutch shot by both teams. That was the most heart I've ever seen this Orlando team play with. Looks like we might have a series on our hands.

I'm pretty sure Cleveland wins the next four, probably handily. This is the one game Orlando should have won and they barely did it.

Why should they have won it? Because of a long lay off for Cleveland?

Bahh long lay off my arse. Other than LBJ and anderson finding the open seams they came out ice cold and when you shoot 15 - 46 from the perimeter you are in trouble. Now with that being said the first half the CAVS played excellent perimeter defense and didn't in the second half - much of Orlando's shooting woes were predicated on the swarming defense, they rotated and closed out excellent in the first half but didn't make the adjustments in the second half. Overall Cavs game plan of giving Dwight single coverage was great - i would let him score or have the ball every time down court from the CAVS perspective, it negates the perimeter game. He did foul out but much of that was on him because the refs started blowing the whistle on him because he was chirping to them constantly. The kid is great player but he gets rattled too easily. Orlando played well and went in and got game 1. Game 2 is going to be great, looking forward how the Magic is going to come out and game plan, they can't count on the cavs shooting so poorly and cavs have to adjust better to the transitional sets Orlando runs much better. Going to be a fun time.

One game doesn't win a series and it doesn't lose one and a kick in the ass every once in a while is good thing.

OT - is there a Used Car Salesman Apparell Store somewhere because that is the only place Sager can find those get ups. How can anyone be serious when you are talking to someone who is literally dressed like a circus clown? Give him a big red nose, a horn, shiny red shoes 10 sizes to big and flower on his lapel that squirts water in peoples face.

Why should they have won it? Because of a long lay off for Cleveland?

Yes, to be blunt. They played haven't played a game in 2 weeks. It showed when they were ice cold out of the gate. They weren't at their best and Orlando barely beat them. Next game Cleveland wins by at least 20.

Yes, to be blunt. They played haven't played a game in 2 weeks.

Uhhh...no. A two week layoff means that a team is expected to lose? Don't think so.

these are Wally's words on the matter -

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It's finally here. I'll tell you this one was tough. This layoff seemed longer than the last one, we're really itching to get going. I tried to play golf on one of our off days but LeBron beat me up so much at the hard practice we had the day before that I only made it about three holes and then I just sat and watched my friends the rest of the way.

So I'm looking forward to get back out on the floor and I think all the guys feel the same way. The first time we enjoyed the rest but this time we are ready to play basketball in front of our fans. It's going to be a challenge because the Magic are a great road team, but we're looking forward to it.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...diary_seco.html

Kobe on long layoffs between games -

May 1, 2008 - The Lakers - the only team to complete a first-round playoff sweep - will have at least five days off between games and possibly seven. But the players aren't worried about any rust accumulating from the long layoff. "It doesn't really matter to us," said Lakers guard Kobe Bryant,

Simply put using a long layoff as an excuse is lame. Besides the cavs led for nearly the entire game.

Yes, to be blunt. They played haven't played a game in 2 weeks. It showed when they were ice cold out of the gate. They weren't at their best and Orlando barely beat them. Next game Cleveland wins by at least 20.

I do agree the long lay off hurt them - man they shot like shit from the field last night.

I look for them to come back game 2 and make a statement along the lines of what you are saying but i don't want to jinx it :) - trying to finagle some tickets - they tell you times are tough in CLE but shit man, can't find em for under 100 for the cheap seats - and that is if you can find them. OH well. beer is cheaper other places though....

I do agree the long lay off hurt them - man they shot like shit from the field last night.

49% is shooting like shit? While committing a mere 5 turnovers? Hmmm...

It was Orlando's 50% on 3 pointers that did the Cavs in, imo. When they drop bombs on you like that they are incredibly hard to beat.

What are you talking about? LBJ numbers squew that 49% a bit because he was a stud last night.

LBJ - 20 of 30 from the field. Super star game

Anderson - 6 of 8 from the field - most of it was cutting to the hole finding the seam because they decided not to gaurd him in the first quarter/half - for whatever reason.

Rest of the team from the perimeter so LBJ doesn't have the entire defense collapse on him - 17 of 51 from the field. Mo had an underwhelming game from the field aside from that hail mary, so did Delonte and Wally threw up an 0'for night. They needed more production on the perimeter from the backcourt - plain and simple.

Yes they were freezing cold and I think it does have something to do with the 2 week lay off.

As far as the TO's are concerned, i believe they lead the NBA in least amount per game, if not in the top 2 or 3 so that is pretty standard night, they don't really cough it up too much but when you shoot like that it equates into bad posesions.

Orlando is a great outside shooting team but look, the CAVS closed down the perimeter in the first half and played sloppy perimeter defense in the second half hence Orlando got into a groove. I am not discounting ORL - they are good little ball club.

Archived