Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linda

INFO: Interested in joining the MUSH?

152 posts in this topic

Hi Linda,

I would be a first time MUSH player if I can get in there but, for the web based application, I keep getting a security error. How do you fix that issue? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are the playable MUSH characters only from canon houses, or are the houses and characters player-generated (or a mixture of both)?

We use only canon houses but we are set 140 years before the books so almost all characters are our own invention. Those who aren't are classed as Features and are not available for general play.

Hi Linda,

I would be a first time MUSH player if I can get in there but, for the web based application, I keep getting a security error. How do you fix that issue? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can also download the program Mushclient instead. I'm new too to Mushing and got to it via the web based application. However, Mushclient is much better as the web based application disconnected half of the time.

The security error is due the internet block that most internet systems at work or at school have. You can easily avoid that block by downloading Mushclient directly upon an usb stick. Open up Mushclient from your usb stick and then it should work. As for the web based application, you'll probably have to use a proxy site or something to avoid the internet block. ( try to google it. search term 'internet blocks' should get you enough sites with solutions of how to avoid internet blocks.)

Hope this will work for you ;)

(P.S. Just searched the internet myself for solution as i had the same problem with my internet at home ( which is actualy the internet of my father's company.))

hey Linda

my first time playing BoD and on a Mush. I've installed it and got blood of dragons to come up, just wondering how to create an account and get the list of characters to show up.

Thanks

Try logging on as a guest first and we can help you on the game: Connect Guest Guest

Hiya,

here's a newbie who's very interested in the game. I have played written online RPGs for many years, but they were exactly that - RPGs created by writing posts on a forum after each other so the MUSH confuses me a lot and I'm only getting to understand how it works...

Also, is there anywhere a concrete "how to use a mush" guide? I got as far as making the help newbie command, reading the three pages and discovering that the recommended webpage for getting a manual doesn't work... This far I've breen pretty ok figuring out stuff but it has been time-consuming.

Lastly - I'm slightly confused by the most wanted character list. There are lots of characters who seem to have no relations there - why are they so wanted then? If I really don't have any preference about my character except that I'd prefer a female one, is there a way to figure out which of them is the most wanted?

ps. Oh, two more questions. 1. How much time are the players expected to commit to the mush? 2. Is playing a restricted character a really really responsible job or just a responsible one (meaning should I consider it only if I have lots of time in my hands or can I consider it even without that)?

MUSHes are similar to other styles of written roleplay, but on a MUSH roleplay happens in realtime. It also tends to be written in present tense rather than past tense, to capture the immediacy of the interaction.

There's not much in the way of good beginner's guides these days, but if you could point out some specific issues that you find confusing, we could try to help with those.

The list of wanted characters is voted on by players and some vote for relatives and others vote for characters they just think would make interesting additions to the game.

As for time, well ... a scene can take anywhere from 1-5 hours. Its probably hard to get involved on just an hour here and there, but for Open characters there are no requirements. Restricted, however, are expected to be around more and work more at creating roleplay for others. You would also need some actual MUSHing experience for a Restricted character, so you couldn't start with one right off.

MUSHes are similar to other styles of written roleplay, but on a MUSH roleplay happens in realtime. It also tends to be written in present tense rather than past tense, to capture the immediacy of the interaction.

There's not much in the way of good beginner's guides these days, but if you could point out some specific issues that you find confusing, we could try to help with those.

The list of wanted characters is voted on by players and some vote for relatives and others vote for characters they just think would make interesting additions to the game.

As for time, well ... a scene can take anywhere from 1-5 hours. Its probably hard to get involved on just an hour here and there, but for Open characters there are no requirements. Restricted, however, are expected to be around more and work more at creating roleplay for others. You would also need some actual MUSHing experience for a Restricted character, so you couldn't start with one right off.

Thanks for your reply! I will continue stalking and exploring the MUSH, and I'll get back to you once I have more of those specific questions. :)

If any new players are interested, there are a few spots where I'd like to see some new players down in The Reach (houses Cuy, Bulwer, Costayne, Mullendore, Beesbury, Grimm). I'd be happy to help newbies find a character and set them up as best I can. (I can help you more on the story side than on the technical side, but that means I can also help you gain entry to RP and stories rather quickly.)

If interested, page me when on the MUSH. (Type: p brad=text here.) My character is Bradwell.

Edited by Dondarrion

Hello,

I would very much like to join the game. Is it still going on? If so what is required of me.

Thanks,

Hello,

I would very much like to join the game. Is it still going on? If so what is required of me.

Thanks,

The game is definitely still running. Take a look at the "Blood of Dragons"/BoD information (if you scroll to the top of this page, there's a link that simply says MUSH - click on that). There's a lot more information on those pages, so take a peek. You can also log in (there is a telnet link on the upper left side of the BoD page) and look around as a guest.

Hello, I am really interested in playing, but I read through the logs and I am pretty unsure I can maintain the quality of writing used by other people on the MUSH! D=

Is the standard normally very high? Because the ones I have seen are spectacular!

Hello, I am really interested in playing, but I read through the logs and I am pretty unsure I can maintain the quality of writing used by other people on the MUSH! D=

Is the standard normally very high? Because the ones I have seen are spectacular!

The logs on the site are player-submitted, and so are usually ones people are really pleased with! I know I don't send all mine up, because some are great... and some are just middling, and IMO not worth showing off. Scene quality can vary dramatically, depending on the players and your interests for RP.

Come stick your nose in as a Guest & watch a scene or two, and ask questions! I do suggest logging in as a Guest, because you get a little more freedom to view scenes and so on; signing in as a visitor will let you send +mails, but you can't go on-grid, I don't think.

I'm really interested in checking this out, but am worried about schedule compatibility, which has hurt me when I've tried to get into MMOs. How is that handled?

Hi :)

We have players from quite a few time zones, but like any real-time game it does depend on being able to meet up with at least some of them. What sort of hours do you have?

I tried reading all the information but couldn't get my head around it. Is there a tutorial in how to set it up?

I have question regarding the portraits made of the characters using Second Life. I go on SL from time to time, but I've not discovered any of the clothing/items used in the portraits. Are these special things that I've not actually come across, or I'm not looking hard enough, or did you edit/create them in photoshop or gimp?