Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linda

INFO: Interested in joining the MUSH?

152 posts in this topic

Blizzard,

Can you explain more detail what you are having a problem with? How to connect?

Pallantides,

Some of the stores we used for clothing are Bare Rose, Zaara, PixelDolls, Adam n Eve ... though I see a lot of the things used for those photos are likely discontinued now. Things change fast in Sl sometimes.

I really want to get into this and I'm having trouble figuring it out. I went to the website mentioned above and it won't connect. Someone please help.

Sword of the Morning -

Try going to http://www.westeros.org/BoD/ and clicking on the "CONNECT NOW!" link in the upper left side of the screen. That will bring up a telnet window, and just follow the directions (read carefully!).

If that gives you a problem, I'd suggest downloading a client (Atlantis for Macs, or MUSHclient for PCs), and then setting up a new world, with the server info being bod.westeros.org & port # 3000.

I don't actually get what this is and i don't wanna read pages of info about it on wikipedia or something. Can somebody sum it up for me in a paragraph or 2 as i have alot of spare time. :)

To be perfectly honest, a MUSH does involve quite a lot of information reading and eats up a fair bit of time, so its probably not of much interest to you. :)

That said, a MUSH is an on-line roleplaying game, entirely text-based. You play a character in Westeros and you interact with other characters in real-time. Its all based on writing, so its a kind of interactive story writing.

Our game is approved by GRRM and its set during the reign of Baelor the Blessed with King's Landing and Sunspear as the open areas.

THIS, I would love to get into.

However being an Aussie the few times I have connected so far as a guest there has been bugger all other people on.

I am also bashing my head against the create account command. No matter what type of username I use, it tells me they are all illegal usernames without a description of what is a valid username. </rage>

EDIT: Account Creation I have solved. ./facepalm

Also, the volumne of information needing to be read to get a grasp on who what where and when of the game and world makes getting started a difficult process.

Like all things it makes sence if you already know it, but to an outsider there deffinatly needs to be a "Start here" point or a guide on what to read.

Edited by Ser Ranulf

Sadly, it's true that we don't have a lot of players at Aussie hours. We have, I believe, two semi-active Aussies, and two-three other people in in South and Southeast Asia. Most activity runs U.S/Euro hours.

As far as names go, avoid any name from the books -- most names are already used for characters, and so have been locked up. That may be your problem.

And it is a lot of info, we admit. We do have a brief "Getting Started" guide here which may be of help.

Ser Ranulf,

It is, unfortunately, a pretty information-heavy game when you're new to MUSHing altogether. We've tried to answer some of the key questions in the FAQ, which also points to some further reading: http://www.westeros.org/BoD/FAQ/

I am not quite sure what your issue with the account creation has been, but we do have a lot of names "locked up" as part of our list of pre-made characters. The easiest approach is probably to connect as a guest and type +HELP CDB NEWBIE, which explains how to request one of these characters.

That said, it is possible that your hours are quite difficult -- we have a lot of Europeans and Americans, but relatively few people in Australia.

I am very interested but I am truly confused in the type of roleplayingeldar this 'MUSH' is. I have done roleplaying on other sites but this sounds more like an actual downloadable game. I truly do not know where to start.

I understand this is probably the most asked question, I have read the topics on starting mUSHING but it seems to confuses me even more.

I thank you for your time

Dane

The MUSH is not a downloadable game, its a server on the Internet that you connect to, like a IRC chat room or an MMO (just without any graphics). However, its easiest to play it with a special client, and that you download. For windows, there's for example MUSHclient at http://www.mushclient.com/

So the game is played by connecting to the server and playing with those players who are connected at the same time.

How far did you get? We've got various helpfiles and articles, but nothing collected in a single tutorial since various choices mean a lot of options.

I'll probably play a cameo in King's Landing at first if I can find one, but does anyone know if the North is open for RP? Like, does anyone play there? I'm a Northerner at heart (no pun involving my username intended).

Edited by reedmindstarkheart

No, the MUSH only has two open areas, King's Landing and Sunspear. MUSHes generally don't do well with more than a few open area, especially when it takes weeks and even months to travel between them. :)

Well, I've decided I want to start. This will be my first ever MUSH, so it'll be interesting! Or perhaps I should say, I'll be interesting haha It seems simple so far - download client and sign-up. I think I can handle that.

I've done a lot of text RP on sites like pro-boards, with forums and such. Is this something at least a little similar to that?

Also, are there any characters that you really need right now?

I just requested one of the cameo characters. Do I get an email if it's accepted or do I have to log in to check?

Question: As someone who has seen the show, but only read the first book(read it after S1 ended) would I be in danger of spoilers if I joined? I am big into roleplaying and have some great character ideas, but would like to know about the spoiler thing.

Well, there's always a risk of spoilers, but players are asked to keep any plot discussion to a separate channel. We can't guarantee that no one slips up, but the policy tries to keep it safe for those who haven't read all the books. :)

You will, however, get "spoilers" for historical events, since that might come up in roleplay.