Fargo ValleyCon

Because I lead such an exciting life, I won't be in Montreal in August. However! for a fraction of the price (about US $25, maybe $35, the website says both) I can meet GRRM in October in that famed metrop, Fargo. Any other locals likely to be there?

eta: depending on said exciting life, I may not make it to Fargo either, but it's much less unlikely than Mtl.

Google says it's 8-9 hours, depending on which roads you take, which isn't too bad. I'd need at least two days just for driving plus however long I stay at the con. I still need to check out the convention website.

Guest thebadlady

I may kidnap RaceBannon and come up for a day. It would be about a 4 hour drive for us too.

• 2 weeks later...
Because I lead such an exciting life, I won't be in Montreal in August. However! for a fraction of the price (about US $25, maybe $35, the website says both) I can meet GRRM in October in that famed metrop, Fargo. Any other locals likely to be there?

eta: depending on said exciting life, I may not make it to Fargo either, but it's much less unlikely than Mtl.

What?!!! I never thought in a million years that GRRM may be somewhere close to the boonies where I live. I live about 2 1/2 hours drive west of Fargo in that other famed metrop Bismarck. Hmm, I may just have to make an appearance. It'd be wonderful to meet any fellow boarders who may be there. As far as George goes, I would be more than satisfied with simply shaking the man's hand and offering my sincere thanks...or maybe just waving from across the room...or whatever's possible :)

ETA: Anyone know when/where GRRM will be appearing at Fargo ValleyCon? I looked at the programming guide and didn't see anything but I'm certainly not above missing the obvious :)

ETA: Anyone know when/where GRRM will be appearing at Fargo ValleyCon? I looked at the programming guide and didn't see anything but I'm certainly not above missing the obvious :)

I don't believe they have the programming available yet. Most conventions don't publish the program until a couple weeks before the first day. Looking at last year's schedule, the guest of honor was around noon on Saturday so they'll probably do something similar this year for Martin.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I'm really new to here, but there's a good chance you know my significant other - Ser Michael John Snow. After missing Worldcon, We are planning to make the trip up to ValleyCon. He's really excited to hopefully see GRRM up close. Anyone been before? This will be my first con.

Hi everyone. I'm really new to here, but there's a good chance you know my significant other - Ser Michael John Snow. After missing Worldcon, We are planning to make the trip up to ValleyCon. He's really excited to hopefully see GRRM up close. Anyone been before? This will be my first con.

I hope you have a wonderful time at your very first SF con. There's a lot to like about smaller regional conventions. One bonus is that the GoHs usually have more time to actually enjoy the con and get to meet more people on a casual basis than at a big con which has more programming, meetings, business lunches and promotion events.

Usually a small con will have the 'big' GoH events on Saturday or Sunday, and I expect George will do a reading as well as other panels. Check the con's website closer to the con dates to see if they put up programing information. I always rec going on a Saturday to a con if you can only attend one day, that's often the day when the best events are presented.

George will be looking for friendly faces, especially those who know where he can get a good meal, or who will enjoy hanging out in the hotel lobby bar for hours, while people come and go.

The lines for autographing sessions will be much shorter. You'll be able to find your friends, the ones you know, and the ones you meet during the con with ease. You know that really great but weird/silly/sexy outfit you don't have enough nerve to wear in your mundane life? Pack it and wear it with delight during the convention.

I've never been to this specific con, but usually there's a small range of dealers in the hucksters' room, you should be able to find some nifty books/t-shirts/art prints for yourself or as gifts for friends. Since George is a GoH there should be at least one canny book dealer who brings a lot of George's titles to sell, if you want to expand your GRRM collection or get a copy of A Game of Thrones for George to sign as a gift for a friend. So shake that piggy bank and bring a few bucks to spend, if you can.

So go and enjoy yourself. Don't be shy, introduce yourself to strangers, laugh out loud at silliness, paint yourself up as a Klingon or zombie alien clown from the planet Zarnu, ask that question in a panel, and don't forget to volunteer for an hour or two to help out the con. It's a great way to meet people, and since most SF cons are run on volunteer work, you'll be helping to make the convention fun for everyone. When I was a new fan, I often worked registration. People are almost always in a good mood when they get to a convention, and are eager to get their badge and program book. You've got a built in excuse for asking their name, and if you have a friendly attitude and a smile, you'll make an impression on even the most world-weary folks who have seen everything at cons, and later that day in the bar or the hospitality suite, it can lead to talking to people that you never thought would ever notice you. (That's how I met Robert Silverberg and Chip Delany, and made casual conversations easier with many folks over the years).

Hope you have a grand time, and don't forget the con reports!

I hope you have a wonderful time at your very first SF con...

Hope you have a grand time, and don't forget the con reports!

Parris,

Thanks so much for that awesome post. We are really looking forward to all of the festivities. You make these small cons sound fantastic. We would definitely be willing to sit with you and George and people watch.

Last year they had a costume party. I hope they include that in the program again this year. It would make for a great con report.

Hey there...first time I've posted...member of BwB, but went to the site and it was gone...I live in Fargo and have been given the responsibility of hosting the SoIaF Party Room...Any other BwB members plan on being here, want to help out with the room, etc.? I would love any insight into how this works, as this is my first con also! Help would be appreciated and may help me maintain what little grip I have on my sanity! *lol*

I have done the party room several times and will be there most likely. Please feel free to PM any questions to me.

Who gave you responsibility of the party room?

Nadine, this won't let me message you individually. As far as BwB, no one gave me the responsibility, and because of that I am not doing it in the club's name. The Con Committee here in Fargo knew that I was a member of the fanclub and no one had yet talked about hosting a room for SoIaF or Martin, so they asked me to handle it. A friend and I are neck deep in planning decorations, beverages, munchies...any advice?

Archived