Character Pages

Halfhand

Looks like not all the changes imported over. The spacing between the name and the info box is there, as well as the colons. But the "place of birth, place of death, etc." are still word wrapping to the next line and the book titles are not breaking to the next line. Do we have to edit each character page to get the newest template?

Breaking the booklines is easier by adding <br> between them. An other option is making (all) the books as parameters in the template.

I made the box of the template wider so that the label "place of birth" ect would by on 1 line. But I guess if the value of the parameter is too large it will still wrap to the next line.

I will look into it.

Found something: the template divides the space between the label and the value of the parameter itself. So if the label and the value of the parameter will not fit the template fill break on the next page it self.

The easy way of solving this is adding a break yourself when using the template. For exemple see Jaime Lannister.

The other option is changing the template and assigning separate space for label and parameter value.

On the topic of characters, what are we doing for all the minor characters? It would be a bit silly to have a new page for everyone wouldn't it? So just stick a whole bunch of people in a minor character page?

It seems that the wrap issue fixes itself once I add the <br> between the book titles. Not sure why this is, but I am going through and adding the breaks to all the infoboxes and, so far, they all look fine after I do it.

EDIT: @Scafloc, Yeah, I just figured that out as well on the Jon page. Had to add the break in his title "Lord Commander of the Night's Watch" :) I think this works fine.

EDIT2: @Callum, that is a good question. Possibly would be better served to have it's own thread.

On the topic of characters, what are we doing for all the minor characters? It would be a bit silly to have a new page for everyone wouldn't it? So just stick a whole bunch of people in a minor character page?

Around 1600 characters referenced at all. I's a big big job to make a page for each of them, I can tell >_< :rolleyes:

And I'm not silly >___<

I rephrased a few sentences but the article is ok. Good work!

It contains the right information. The division in sections works; Jaime is in all books so for every book a section is alright. Don't that that would work for all (POV) characters though. If a character is not in all books then even section for the book in which he is would seem a bit odd.

Maybe we should also add references. I was impressed by the references made in articles on La Garde de Nuit. Adding references is quit dull work though...

Well I figure if they are just in one book there is no need for the subheadings. Since it is pretty obvious which book the plot details come from! But if it is two or more, I think it is okay to use the subheadings.

Yeah, references would be nice. But they are time-consuming and like you said, pretty dull. I think we should focus on getting the content there and we can go back and add chapter references.

Meh, I'm not the biggest fan of separating things out by the events of the books. I guess it's just personal preference, but I like to think of the books as a continuous story, and so the breaks by books seem kind of arbitrary. I guess it works, though.

Any thoughts on verb tenses? Right now these are kind of all over the place. In the Jaime article we're using for reference, all the events prior to Feast are described in the past tense, but the Feast section is in the present tense. I really don't like that. I've used the breakpoint between past/present tense to be anything that happened prior to the start of the books, and the present tense for anything that occurs within the books themselves. Thus, I would say:

"Jaime Lannister was born in Casterly Rock", but

"When Bran Stark discovers his illicit affair with Cersei, Jaime throws him from a window."

The reason I broke it down by books is because it is easy. If you break it down any other way you open it up to a lot of interpretation to how it should be formatted. Which would make the articles inconsistent over time. Also most of the character arcs within the books are pretty self-contained, so even if you broke it down by periods of the characters life, it would probably be relatively similar.

I don't have a preference on verb tenses. So if you want to edit the articles to use your proposed past/present tense format, unless someone else objects, I say go for it. :)

Any thoughts on verb tenses? Right now these are kind of all over the place. In the Jaime article we're using for reference, all the events prior to Feast are described in the past tense, but the Feast section is in the present tense. I really don't like that. I've used the breakpoint between past/present tense to be anything that happened prior to the start of the books, and the present tense for anything that occurs within the books themselves. Thus, I would say:

"Jaime Lannister was born in Casterly Rock", but

"When Bran Stark discovers his illicit affair with Cersei, Jaime throws him from a window."

Sounds like a good idea. It makes the articles better

About the Jaime article; it contains a lot of complex-compound sentences. I changed a few to short sentences.

Meh, I'm not the biggest fan of separating things out by the events of the books. I guess it's just personal preference, but I like to think of the books as a continuous story, and so the breaks by books seem kind of arbitrary. I guess it works, though.

Moreover, separate things out by the events of the books reduces the risks of spoilers for people who didn't read all the books.

So again, what does everybody think about the Jaime Lannister article now?

The article consists of the following sections:

1 History. Has the following subsections

1.1 Early Years

1.2 Raised to Knighthood

1.3 Kingsguard

1.4 The Kingslayer

2 Recent Events. -> Is this section are the events as told in the books.

2.1 A Game of Thrones

2.2 A Clash of Kings

2.3 A Storm of Swords

2.4 A Feast for Crows

3 Appearance

4 Family -> we are using the template Lannister_tree for this

5 Quotes; of course this has most famous one: "There are no men like me. There's only me."

It also uses the character template on the top-right site of the article for some general information.

The events in the first section are written in the past tense because there are before the books start. Section 2 is in the present tense.

Comments? Especially, are there templates or sections we should add?

First of all, I'm sad I can't contribute more to the project right now, but it's high season in my work :(

Anyway two cents:

1) I would start with the section "appareance". (I guess it's most important)

2) I would merge the sections "history" and "recent events" and title it "biography". I''m OK with the current breakdown.

3) Then I would call the "family" section "lineage". An add information about his dinastic potential clamims (how he could be considered the heir to Casterly Rock, or not.. etc).

4) I'm not a fan of a "quotes" section., bacause there's the risk that at the end everyone introduces his favourite one and it gets too crowded. But if they were to be included, I think I would opt to include a single one as flavour text at the end of the character template.

Just wanted to share with everyone that having brief character descriptions can make the Wiki very useful for artists. In fact, Dark Sword Miniatures passed on to us that the Wiki has already proved useful in their selection of four new miniatures they're going to be working on.

Keep up the great work. :)

Ran, that's awesome. I think expanding our character articles should be the focus right now. If we can have an article for every character on that huge list, even if it is only a paragraph or two, it would make the wiki very useful and differentiate it from the Wikipedia articles.

• 4 weeks later...

For now most characters don't have their own page and they are in their corresponding house's page, do you plan to change this or will it stay like that?

Because if you plan to change it i could paste the contents in the corresponding articles and complete or create them with the French articles.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a huge interest in all the different characters of ASOIAF, and indeed once I tried to make a complete summary of every single one detailing appearance, personality, family and all that. Sadly, all my work was lost, when I misplace my flash drive.

But I'd like to help out here as best as I can.

My own opinion is that anyone even halfway important should have their own page. People like Lothor Brune and Salladhor Saan aren't major characters but I think we know enough about them to have their own pages given to them.

That's just my opinion though.

Every character whom more than five lines can be written of should have their own page. This is aiming to be a complete reference for ASOIAF.

The house pages should contain minor summaries of their members, and a link to the main article.

• 2 weeks later...

Apropos of my intentions to write plays on each of the Targaryen kings, I started my own pseudo-wiki pages, with entries for each monarch in the same manner as I had seen perpetrated on the "real" Wiki previously. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any way to link my prototype Word document to some place where I can share it with you. I don't know for sure how useful it would be, but I thought there might be some interest.

On a side note:

Am I the only one who speculates as to which house Princess Rhaenyra married? Personally, I'm thinking Castamere ... wealth, prestige, lineage, without actually entangling the line with a premier lordship like the Lannisters, which would just concentrate too much power in the hands of the golden lions.

According to my recollection of an early draft of the Targaryen tree, you're close. She had more than one husband, actually, in a more recent iteration of the family tree. I'll leave you with that. ;)

Archived