Metal Thread II: Son of Metal Thread

Xray the Enforcer

After years of attempting to get into metal music but failing, I think I've finally found my 'in'.

I've been listening to a lot of Jesu lately and I really enjoy what I hear. I'd like to delve a bit more into the 'doom' genre as a whole but I'm at a loss where to go from here. I've listened to Boris and Sunn O))) -- who I guess sort of constitute as 'doom' -- but neither really does it for me. While I like some Boris stuff, it's usually their more experimental, less metal songs.

I guess what it boils down to is that I like the clean vocals and the drone/shoegazing aspects of Jesu's music. If there was a band that could mix that with a bit of a darker/harder sound I think I'd really dig it.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

I've run across a few bands that would fit the bill, but damned if I can think of their names right now. :|

I'll dig through my music collection tonight and see what I can unearth. Which reminds me, you might want to check out the band Earth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_(band) Their latest, The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull, has been on rotation in this house.

The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull is a fantastic album. A little "lite" for trüe Mëtäl fans, perhaps, but amazing nonetheless.

I may have promoted it in the other thread, I forget, but the Encyclopaedia Mettallum is a great resource for finding new bands. Just have to remember that it excludes Industrial and "Nü" metal.

I've lost many hours surfing Encyclopaedia Mettallum. A truly wonderful site to expand your metal horizons.

A doom band that I've mentioned before and want to keep plugging until everyone has at least given them a listen, is The Lamp of Thoth. They are a bit of a doom/NWoBHM mix, but really awesome. Their only full-length album is Portents, Omens, and Dooms. Seriously, check them out. The vocalist is a little different, but he has this neat, kind of irreverent delivery that is a lot of fun.

I love Encyclopaedia Metallum. Reviews can be hit or miss (you just need to understand the psychology of the average M-A poster and to handicap all the reviews to correct for it), but a great resource.

TL -- I dug the Lamp of Thoth stuff I found on the toobs (via Last.fm, I think), but I'm not quite convinced to shell out the cash yet (they weren't on emusic the last time I checked). One or two more listens will seal the deal one way or the other. And not because they aren't quality, either -- I'm saving up for my next tattoo and therefore most other spending has been squashed for now.

Bah, my summer holiday just got depressing :/ I'm missing out on the Metalcamp festival in Slovenia this year and this means that I won't get to experince my favourite band, Blind Guardian, live. In addition to this I'll also miss Lamb Of God, Kreator, Satyricon, Alestorm and countless others. Damn.

A doom band that I've mentioned before and want to keep plugging until everyone has at least given them a listen, is The Lamp of Thoth. They are a bit of a doom/NWoBHM mix, but really awesome. Their only full-length album is Portents, Omens, and Dooms. Seriously, check them out. The vocalist is a little different, but he has this neat, kind of irreverent delivery that is a lot of fun.

I'm sorry but TLOT is not metal. Not now, not ever.

I'm sorry but TLOT is not metal. Not now, not ever.

Well thankfully metal is a big genre with a lot of strange things in it. But from what I've listened too, they definitely fit within that wide range, and a lot of other metal fans seem to agree.

Metal or not, they are good.

Well thankfully metal is a big genre with a lot of strange things in it. But from what I've listened too, they definitely fit within that wide range, and a lot of other metal fans seem to agree.

Metal or not, they are good.

Anytime someone claims that a band is metal, I immediately counter claim that they are not. It's the metal thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been meaning to listen to Earth for some time now actually.

I did give The Lamp of Thoth a listen to as well given it was described as a 'doom' band. Admittedly, I didn't really care for it but it did get me wondering just what the hell defines the genre. Many of the bands I've heard don't really transmit a sense of 'despair' like the genre name implies (oddly I find Jesu surprisingly uplifting compared to your typical post-rock band).

Doom metal isn't about despair, specifically. That would be more black metal -- alienation, despair, misanthropy, winter and nature are strong musical and lyrical themes in black metal. Doom is more about creating an oppressive atmosphere, which can encompass many different emotions (including despair), through various musical approaches. That's why Candlemass sounds nothing like Ahab, but they're both considered "doom."

If you want some despair and oppression, though, I suggest listening to Primordial's To The Nameless Dead. It's not doom or drone -- it's folk/black metal. The song "As Rome Burns" is teeth-gritting intense.

Finally, if you are trying to find bands that sound like Jesu's more recent work (anything after about 2006), you're better off looking outside the metal genre. Some people are all over Grails, but I can't comment because I haven't listened to them.

Some people are all over Grails, but I can't comment because I haven't listened to them.

HB - you should check out Grails. I once heard them described as being like gybe! if you took all the loud parts of godspeed songs and left out the quiet bits. The most recent album is pretty cool. Not sure how metal it actually is, but it's worth a listen.

my favourite band, Blind Guardian, live.

Oh man. I saw Blind Guardian at El Corazon in Seattle, which is this tiny little hole-in-the-wall place, best guess it fit about 200 people if you really packed them in like sardines, I was way at the back and still within 20 feet of the stage. Absolutely crazy. Everyone still put in a good effort on The Bard's Song and Valhalla though...

Oh man. I saw Blind Guardian at El Corazon in Seattle, which is this tiny little hole-in-the-wall place, best guess it fit about 200 people if you really packed them in like sardines, I was way at the back and still within 20 feet of the stage. Absolutely crazy. Everyone still put in a good effort on The Bard's Song and Valhalla though...

Shit, a small concert with Blind Guardian is probably my dream gig. I'm jealous now... Damn ^^

I've also started listening to Children of Bodom again, some of their songs are really great! Catchy, aggressive and melodic; a really nice combination. The solo in the song Kissing the Shadows is superb.

Finally, if you are trying to find bands that sound like Jesu's more recent work (anything after about 2006), you're better off looking outside the metal genre. Some people are all over Grails, but I can't comment because I haven't listened to them.

Yeah, what I've heard of Jesu's has probably been the more recent stuff. There's a bit of a MBV quality to the music, only a little harder sounding (which I like).

I got to believe there's metal out there that can take that sound and bring it to darker depths. I'll have to delve into the 'drone doom' genre a little more I think.

HB - you should check out Grails. I once heard them described as being like gybe! if you took all the loud parts of godspeed songs and left out the quiet bits. The most recent album is pretty cool. Not sure how metal it actually is, but it's worth a listen.

Actually I've already gotten into the Grails a bit already. I don't know if I'd make the GSYBE! from what I've heard, but I do dig the music. There's something about the Grails that seems almost traditional/ancient sounding, whereas GYBE! I don't tend to associate with said sound.

It's weird, I find my tastes in music tend to border metal but rarely cross into it. For example, while not a fan of Neurosis per say, I do like Tribes of Neurot and Steve von Till's solo stuff. Same goes for bands like Isis, Emperor and a few others I can think of.

I guess I like the athetics of metal but prefer the less in-your-face sounds of apocalyptic folk, dark ambient and other periphery genres.

I had a pretty similar experience at a little hole in the wall in St. Paul called Station 4. The opening act was Leaves' Eyes and I had a real hard time making out anything they were playing, but when it was time for BG I pushed my way all the way up to the front and it really made a difference. Best concert I've ever been to. The whole crowd singing Valhalla in unison was just unreal.

Okayyy. I posted a whole thread on this and it sank right to the bottom, so I'll try here. I doubt many internet ASoIaF metal people are 80's thrash-oriented, I'm betting it's more about the european power stuff but what the hell. We're a band called Lich King (not a WoW reference). We've made a song based on A STORM OF SWORDS for our third album. Thought people here might want to take a listen.

www.myspace.com/lichkingband

A STORM OF SWORDS

Weeping, the wall

Assailed by freeborn men

Giants and worse that time forgot

Rapers and thieves

Are sworn and bound to serve

Brothers in black keep the watch

Islands of Iron

Drowning men and god

Blood and all its bonds are dashed apart

Greyjoy, undone

The fall in dead of night

A ship on the horizon drawing near

Prophecies of a greater undoing

Azor Ahai and a gathering horde

Listen closely for winter is coming

Dark wings, dark words

A storm of swords

Unburnt, the queen

Ascending with the whip

Mother of dragons frees the slave

Last of her kind

Born of smoke and salt

Waking the children out of stone

Direwolf, the king

Unwelcome wedding guest

Ask bread and salt once through the gate

Hidden, the lion

Replace the traitor's head

Debt is paid in full, hear them roar

Prophecies of a greater undoing

Azor Ahai and a gathering horde

Listen closely for winter is coming

Dark wings, dark words

A storm of swords

Champion, the mountain rides

The viper strikes, the mountain dies

The seven burn to please R'hllor

The witch will win her master's war

Accused, the imp, avenge the wife

Escape, and end the monster's life

Accursed, the kinslayer, the dwarf

Revenge upon the lying whore

Valar Morghulis

Beyond the wall and the haunted wood

Wights with black hands and bright blue eyes

Ice spiders shimmer, pale and dead

Soon the Others wage their war on the sky

Beyond Dorne and the Dothraki Sea

Three children are foretold for the one

Heirs to the black dread, Balerion's throne

Dragons growing in the heat of the sun

Oh. but thrash is what first got me into metal :P I'll definitly check the song out.

Edit: Listening now, writing as I hear the song.

The song is catchy and seems well produced, at least in my ears. The main riff is nice and the drums fit the song, but personally I think some double bass drums would be nice. Maybe at the "Dark wings, dark words" part?

I didn't like the solo that much, sure it works, but it seems a little dull and uninspired. But all in all, I enjoyed the song and will probably check out more of your work :)

Archived