Metal Thread II: Son of Metal Thread

Xray the Enforcer

Mastodon - remission

first album by them and how mastodon of them it was MASSIVE, their soudn is thick nd massive , march of the fire ant is probably the heaviest song I've heard in a while

I know very little about metal, but after seeing a Mastodon performance on Letterman (see it here), I've borrowed Leviathan. I really like it.

Probably doesn't count as metal among the metalati, but what the hell. Tomorrow a momentous event will occur. The second time one of my favorite bands has come to Australia during my lifetime. And the first time the concert wasn't 18+ (damn you Nightwish tour managers!). So, going to see 69 Eyes tomorrow. :D

I finally listened to Meshuggah's latest album. I didn't like it as much as I had expected - it seemed a little lifeless, to be honest. I much prefer Destroy Erase Improve. Anyone here have a similar reaction?

I finally listened to Meshuggah's latest album. I didn't like it as much as I had expected - it seemed a little lifeless, to be honest. I much prefer Destroy Erase Improve. Anyone here have a similar reaction?

Well, I really liked Obzen. Bleed and Lethargica are two of their best songs IMO.

The again, I prefer Meshuggah's later work (after Catch 33).

Probably doesn't count as metal among the metalati, but what the hell. Tomorrow a momentous event will occur. The second time one of my favorite bands has come to Australia during my lifetime. And the first time the concert wasn't 18+ (damn you Nightwish tour managers!). So, going to see 69 Eyes tomorrow. :D

Destroy, Erase, Improve was one of my first tastes of metal. I think I was a sophomore in high school and a friend of mine in our media productions class brought in some albums his uncle had given him, which included D,E,I, Clayman by In Flames, and some album by Stuck Mojo. I remember that we were all perplexed as to how anybody could listen to something like Meshuggah. I've come to like them since then, but I will always remember being scared to hell the first time my fragile little ears heard them.

My two favorite Meshuggah albums are Chaosphere and obZen, and "Bleed" is hands-down my favorite Meshuggah song to date. I remember when I first heard Meshuggah way back in the Dark Ages (mid 90s) -- I kind of stood there slack-jawed -- seriously, it blew my mind. (I already had a rich and lengthy tenure of listening to metal at that point -- it was just Meshuggah being Meshuggah that was so awesome.) But I can see how obZen can be offputting. The music is so damned dense (and the tempo changes are mutations rather than the herky-jerky switches of the past) that it can be a tough album to enjoy.

I like my thrash, but that song seemed to take a while to get going :dunno: . I'd work on the intro a bit. But overall it had potential. Second on the drums.

Thanks, but it's supposed to be one of our slower ones... the rest on the new album all get ripping from the start, this is me showing "range" by waiting three minutes to get to the real riffing. Hell, I never even intended to put that middle part on here, but I can't resist a good riff.

So does anyone here acutally like bands like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, Suicide Silence, Parkway Drive, I Killed The Prom Queen etc or is it just all the doom, black metal stuff?

The snobby metalhead answer is that the -core bands don't exist, and even if they did, they wouldn't be metal.

:leaving:

But, whatever, they're alright. Gateways to bigger, better, and heavier things. :thumbsup: Elitist crap is just that, elitist crap.

So does anyone here acutally like bands like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, Suicide Silence, Parkway Drive, I Killed The Prom Queen etc or is it just all the doom, black metal stuff?

I don't really care for them, but there's nothing to stop you from posting about that music in here. Maybe you'll find others on the board who are into those bands as well. :)

I don't really care for them, but there's nothing to stop you from posting about that music in here. Maybe you'll find others on the board who are into those bands as well. :)

Haha thanks :D. Its wierd. Nearly all I listen to is metal and its never any bands that I like being discussed lol. Though I do love Gojira(who I have seen mentioned here)

The only band in that list I can stand is Killswitch. But, that might just be because I've met the lead singer and he's a really cool dude. As I Lay Dying's best work comes in the form of Austrian Death Machine =P.

I do like some hardcore, but it's more GlassJaw than Black Dahlia (yeah, I know...different types, but...really, same scene).

Nope, don't really listen to anything like that. I like pretty much every other form of metal though, but recently I've been more into black and doom, and I also spend time with power, death, prog, thrash, and a little bit of gothic. But so many bands don't easily fit into the categories so it is just easier to say that "I like what I like". But I really haven't ever been drawn towards any "-core" music.

The only band in that list I can stand is Killswitch. But, that might just be because I've met the lead singer and he's a really cool dude. As I Lay Dying's best work comes in the form of Austrian Death Machine =P.

I do like some hardcore, but it's more GlassJaw than Black Dahlia (yeah, I know...different types, but...really, same scene).

KSE does a great cover of Holy Diver. I like that a lot. Does that count?

I own one or two Black Dahlia Murder albums as well.

I like the first Killswitch Album with the older singer. After that it seemed like they found a formula and stuck with it. I like Unearth, and will probably go see them live in early July. Different music for different moods is my philosophy.

As for Metal Songs that toe that line between bad ass and fucking cool - 3 Inches of Blood - Balls of Ice :cheers:

I like the first Killswitch Album with the older singer. After that it seemed like they found a formula and stuck with it. I like Unearth, and will probably go see them live in early July. Different music for different moods is my philosophy.

As for Metal Songs that toe that line between bad ass and fucking cool - 3 Inches of Blood - Balls of Ice :cheers:

Pretty much any song by 3 Inches of Blood is fucking awesome. That is one band that I must see live asap.

I like Unearth. Prefer new KsE myself. The singer is just awesome.

Archived