The Healthy Weight and Eating Thread

Xray the Enforcer

Hmm, I might just have to brave Whole Foods to get that flour. I'm not a Whole Foods fan (annoying yuppies), and it is out of my way. Glad to know about the pasta, I have been getting the Barilla Plus. Its pretty good and has extra fiber.

Last time I tried to "give up drinking" I had a horrible day and came home and had a glass or three of wine. I've decided if I have that bad of a day, I will have a glass of wine.

I did give up tv dinners for good - now eating healthy soups for lunch and hoping to get below pre- DenCon August '08 weight soon. It is hard to find fresh, decent produce where I live - considering buying a juicer.

I just had a very tasty chicken pita. It was grilled chicken with celery, red onion and lite mayonnaise (gotta burn through that before I buy some Miracle Whip), Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, Paprika, and halved grapes all thrown in a whole wheat pita half with a romaine lettuce leaf.

In general, I dropped 15 pounds (200 to 185) from February to April eating stuff like the above and working out six times a week. Then I got a job and school got serious so I fell off. I gained back four pounds but am hoping I can start up again. I've been back on the exercise program since last Wednesday and am starting the diet today.

ETA: I had a Spanish Omelet for breakfast. Three egg whites, one egg, cumin, chilli powder, black pepper, a little milk with lite cheese and salsa put in after the eggs set. Potatoes O'Brien for carbs.

I'm on a six, small meals a day plan. I guess that's the way our ancestors did it or something.

A friend made this and it was delicious.

Millet and Quinoa with Cashews and Sunflower Seeds (from Mollie Kazen’s Vegetable Heaven)

1.5 cups millet

0.5 cups quinoa

3 cups water

¾ teaspoon salt

1 cup sunflowers

1 cup cashews

Place millet and quinoa in strainer and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.

Put rinsed grains in saucepan with water and 0.5 tsp of salt.

Cover and bring to boil. Lower to simmer covered for 15min.

Meanwhile coarsely grind sunflowers and cashews. Place ground mix in dry heavy skillet and roast over low-medium heat stirring frequently. About 10min. Don’t let burn!

When grains have absorbed water, stir and fluff with fork for a minute or 2 then cover pot for another 5 minutes. Once complete, transfer grains to bowl and let stand uncovered for 15 minutes fluffing grains with fork every few minutes to let steam out. Finally stir in seed-nut mix and serve warm or at room temperature.

I ran out of the last of the 'weight control' instant oatmeal that I bought. my conclusion: Quaker Oats VASTLY superior to Kashi. Kashi has to be microwaved and tastes like crap, all the quaker oats weight control flavors taste okay but are far too sweet. Brown Sugar is the weakest, Cinnamon is good and the banana bread is clearly the best. Definitely not as good as a half cup of oatmeal with a real banana cut up into it though.

after inspecting the boxes I noted they had about 8 grams of protein in them (since they include whey protein powder) I therefore concluded that since my scoop of protein powder is 24 grams and has about 3 T in a scoop that I can just add 1 T of protein powder to half a cup of quick oats and I have a vastly cheaper product that's virtually the same, except I control the sweetness (well except whatever sweetness is in the protein powder). I set up a ziploc baggie for tomorrow's breakfast, we'll see how the experiment works. :D

Got the results from my glucose test back. I am pretty non-diabetic, my score was in the 80s. Woohoo! I celebrated by having some ice cream.

Ran out of oatmeal and eggs, so breakfast was iffy over the weekend. Back on the wagon now. My doctors are starting to eyeball me about my weight. I've gained 26, 27 pounds so far and they want to know if I'm eating healthily. I mean, shit, I didn't throw up except for four times in my first trimester, and I actually gained weight instead of losing it. Kind of hard to lose weight when you're not getting rid of anything, you know? So I'm about three pounds off. Damn.

Last night I sent Schnee out for eggs and oatmeal, so today I can go back to eating it. I am also going to have a cup of black tea. I think the last time I drank a caffeinated drink was coffee some three weeks ago. I know it's bad for me, but I've been thinking about it since yesterday morning and haven't acted on it...

I get my whole wheat flour (and I do use King Arthur Flour as my brand) at Whole Foods, but I've also ordered some specialty whole wheat pastry flour from KingArthurFlour.com, which is where I've been getting these wonderful recipes. They've also got e-mail help and a telephone "baker's hotline" for questions, which I've found very helpful.

Isn't King Arthur Flour available at pretty much any gorcery store? That's what I use as well, and I cannot recall having ever not seen it in a store.

I've also got there Baking Companion cookbook - which is a terrible, terrible book (because it's filled with a couple hundred delicious, albeit decidedly unhealthy, treats).

Ran out of oatmeal and eggs, so breakfast was iffy over the weekend. Back on the wagon now. My doctors are starting to eyeball me about my weight. I've gained 26, 27 pounds so far and they want to know if I'm eating healthily. I mean, shit, I didn't throw up except for four times in my first trimester, and I actually gained weight instead of losing it. Kind of hard to lose weight when you're not getting rid of anything, you know? So I'm about three pounds off. Damn.

Last night I sent Schnee out for eggs and oatmeal, so today I can go back to eating it. I am also going to have a cup of black tea. I think the last time I drank a caffeinated drink was coffee some three weeks ago. I know it's bad for me, but I've been thinking about it since yesterday morning and haven't acted on it...

Okay, I'm confused: do the doctors want you to gain weight faster or slower?

If you want black tea, stick a teabag in a mug, pour boiling water over it, let it steep for 30s, take out the teabag and pour away the tea. Put the teabag back in the mug, pour boiling water over it, let it steep and drink as usual. You don't get the decaf tea flavour (yuck) but you do get a much less caffeinated cup of tea. :)

Okay, I'm confused: do the doctors want you to gain weight faster or slower?

If you want black tea, stick a teabag in a mug, pour boiling water over it, let it steep for 30s, take out the teabag and pour away the tea. Put the teabag back in the mug, pour boiling water over it, let it steep and drink as usual. You don't get the decaf tea flavour (yuck) but you do get a much less caffeinated cup of tea. :)

They don't want anything yet but I can tell they're going to tell me to gain weight slower as I head into my third trimester. My upper limit is 35 pounds and I'm already pretty close with 13 weeks to go. I gained 8 in my first trimester, hooray for fruit cravings.

I already only drink second-infusion tea. Can't wait until I can drink black tea with kick again.

Still doing the juice fast.

Breakfast: Beet, carrot, ginger, celery, spinach and parsley juice -- 20 oz

Lunch: Carrot, green apple, cucumber and wheatgrass juice -- 20 oz

Dinner: Spinach, kale, parsley, celery, dandelion, and ginger juice - 20 oz.

While I am performing all this, my friend went to our favourite Vietnamese cart (amazing and cheap!) and got meatball with cucumber and carrots and a spicy sauce on a baguette, but not Italian meatball, or Swedeish meatball, but this yummy Vietnamese meatball. I love their summer rolls. And eel baguette. Maybe next week. :drool: :drool:

I'll ask for your support next time people start posting ignorant crap about how people with low BMI must have an eating disorder, are certainly unhealthy, and need to see a doctor :)

(Sorry, those comments on that thread ages back still grind my gears)

Here here!

Sup yal. Unlike most of yal' I'm trying to gain weight. Now what I have been doing to acomplish this is I started eating breakfast which I usually don't do (I'm always on a crazy schedule, studying for engineering) and I started snacking between meals. Usually my meals throughout the day look like this...

Breakfast: Bagel w/ cream cheese or two nutri-grain bars

Cup of Chocolate Milk

Yogurt Cup

Half of a gatorade bottle

Lunch: Italian hoagie

Other half of the gatorade bottle

Dinner: Pasta with red sauce usually with chicken or meatballs

I'll usually drink water or orange juice here

Sometimes I will have a chicken sandwhich, 2-3 pieces of pizza, or a steak instead. Last night I had 3 burgers and the night before I had 8 tacos and an ice cream sandwhich

Usually when I snack between meals it is spoonfuls of peanut butter, a nutrigrain bar, or some assorted nuts.

I workout pretty frequently, every day to every other day depending on how wiped I am from work and commuting.

So, I need to gain me some weight, what tips do yal' have for me?

Here here!

Sup yal. Unlike most of yal' I'm trying to gain weight. Now what I have been doing to acomplish this is I started eating breakfast which I usually don't do (I'm always on a crazy schedule, studying for engineering) and I started snacking between meals. Usually my meals throughout the day look like this...

Cup of Chocolate Milk

Yogurt Cup

Sometimes I will have a chicken sandwhich, 2-3 pieces of pizza, or a steak instead. Last night I had 3 burgers and the night before I had 8 tacos and an ice cream sandwhich

Usually when I snack between meals it is spoonfuls of peanut butter, a nutrigrain bar, or some assorted nuts.

I workout pretty frequently, every day to every other day depending on how wiped I am from work and commuting.

Eat more! :P

That doesn't really look like a lot of food. Whats your height and weight if you don't mind posting it.

We have a weight loss group at work where the primary motivator is supportive peer pressure. About ten participants have lost over 150 lbs combined during the last 4 months. No cost, no fads, just mutual encouragement and accountability, and a 100% success rate of participants meeting their short-term (10 week) goals ... so far. We may have a few come up short this round, but we set very aggressive goals.

Eat more! :P

That doesn't really look like a lot of food. Whats your height and weight if you don't mind posting it.

I don't, no point in asking for help and only giving half the info right? I'm 5'5, 115 lbs.

The only reason I don't eat more is that at breakfast, lunch, dinner whenever I eat I eat until I am full. All of those meals fill me up. There is no helping that. If you try to eat when you're full it just feels like you're gonna vom it all up. So to me, that is a lot of food, because it fills me up. I eat as much as I can when I am hungry, and when I am not hungry I just try to snack on stuff to take in extra calories.

Starting the x-box diet/exercise routine this week.

Bought a recombent bike, set it up in front of the TV, buying Fallout 3, and promised myself to play 1 hour a day (or watch tv) and bike while I do it. I figure if I can get in a habit of playing video games and biking at the same time, I'll actually have something productive that comes out of my favorite passtime.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Here here!

Cup of Chocolate Milk

Yogurt Cup

Capoeirista, my husband is a lot like you. He's got the metabolism of a bird and no matter what he does, he doesn't gain weight. You are likely an ectomorph - your body isn't efficient, and your body uses calories hard and fast. Your metabolism is high, although right now I doubt it's at its peak since you're not eating a lot.

A long time ago, at least ten years ago, my husband went to see a nutritionist to see about gaining weight. The average caloric intake for an American is 2000 calories. The diet he was put on totaled 2700 cals and change. Our knowledge of nutrition has gotten better since then, but the basics are still there. You'll want to eat more, work out less, since your body burns a lot during and after a workout. Enjoy your full-fat dairy products (and full-fat everything), like whole milk (not chocolate milk!) and full fat yogurt. Full fat Greek yogurt, plain, sweetened with honey, is ridiculously good.

The principle governing your diet is still the same - consume more than you burn. When you work out, go for resistance training. Max out. Low reps, high weights. Break and build muscle. If you can do more than 5-6 reps of your current weight and find yourself able to keep going after a third set, you are not lifting enough weight. Eat more protein. Start your day with a hearty 3-egg omelette with cheese (and butter, if you like making your omelettes with butter). Wash it down with a small glass of whole milk. I say small because a 3-egg omelette is pretty hefty. If you're not into the omelette, do scrambled eggs, 1-2 eggs, and some whole wheat toast with a generous helping of natural peanut butter. As an alternative, have a yogurt and oatmeal in the morning.

Go for broke with protein as long as your exercise regime backs it up. Don't be running 10 miles and then gorging on protein, that's not going to help. Anyway, for snacks, you'll want a banana or two, protein shakes, or something like V8 because I am not seeing vegetables at all in your diet. Or fruits, for that matter. Don't go nuts with them, but those vitamins do need to be present in your food. If you're not eating red meat, get your iron and calcium from dark leafy greens and potassium from bananas (and orange juice).

Can the Gatorade. That stuff is not good for you, you are not an endurance athlete, a football player, or a professional athlete. Gatorade was created to replace lost salts and fluids during extreme exertion. It's not meant to be used on a daily basis. Water will hydrate you better and be better for you overall. Make healthy food choices and up your food intake gradually until you can hit that 2700 - 3000 calorie mark.

If you have the spare cash, look up a good dietician or nutritionist in your area and see if you can get a consult. Most people know what to do when losing weight, but gaining is a whole other area. Good luck with the weight gain. It's a long, tough road.

1-2 eggs in scrambled eggs? Try 6+ and your onto a winner :)

The thought of eating 6 eggs all at once makes me kind of ill. :sick: 4 is the most I can handle, yolks included, and that is really pushing it.

I cooked two meals today and ate Subway for the third. I also had a pre-fab shake and bar for two more meals. I'm about to make some cheesecake right now.

My breakfast was two pancakes made out of egg whites, fat-free cottage cheese and whole-grain oats with vanilla, cinammon and Splenda for flavor. Throw on a little lite syrup (I'm thinking of getting sugar-free syrup but I rarely use syrup and the lite bottle has still got some life) and some fresh raspberries.

My lunch was an egg salad sandwich made out of three egg whites, one egg, with lite mayonnaise, mustard, a celery stalk, some red bell pepper, pickle relish, and parsely placed on a piece of whole wheat bread with avocado slices on top.

The cheesecake uses low-fat cottage cheese, fat-free cream cheese, Splenda granular, egg substitute and vanilla. I tried to find a reduced fat graham cracker crust but couldn't and got regular crust instead. Also some fresh strawberries on top.

It's kinda work to eat six times a day but I like the way I feel. I never get hungry! :)

Archived