The Healthy Weight and Eating Thread

Xray the Enforcer

So replace them with granola (does that mean like nature valley?) or maybe protein bars? The granola bars I can probably afford but protein bars are friggin expensive, and I am a college student after all.

Forget the protein bars. Instead of those, I drink EAS Myoplex protein shakes for convenience. You have a couple of options for protein powder, soy and whey. I'd recommend whey over soy. A bag of roasted almonds is also a convenient way to snack without a whole lot of expense.

It takes roughly ten minutes to scramble 3 eggs with cheese, make two slices of toast, and pour yourself a glass of milk. I was once a student too, one who worked and overloaded on classes every semester. I still found time to have a bowl of oatmeal, 2 scrambled eggs, and a glass of orange juice every morning. That was back when I wasn't as fat as I am now... Non-pregnant breakfast nowadays is 4 egg whites, bowl of oatmeal, water or tea. I remember the good ol' days when I used to start my days off with a croissant and Nutella. Those days... are long gone.

Think of it this way: since you have to cut down on the amount of time you spend at the gym to about 2-3 times a week, all the extra time you're going to have should go towards building your lunchbox for the next day.

I agree that protein bars are not the best. Almost all of them have some unwanted ingredients. The best thing about bars is the convenience.

Shakes are much better. They just require a little bit of preparation.

Yeah the convenience is why I'm considering them. Shakes I can do, but only at home. I was just looking for something that I could snack on at work in between meals. Right now I'm eatng assorted nuts (cashews, macadamia, almonds, and these little green ones, pistachios maybe?), peanut butter and nutrigrain bars.

my protein shake of the day: egg whites (you buy them in a little half pint carton, just the whites), vanilla flavored whey protein powder, a couple packets of splenda, and... wait for it...

PEANUT BUTTER!!!

okay so it's a little calorie heavy for someone on a reducing diet, but damn is it tasty. :) If there wasn't all that sugar in it, I'd go back for seconds right now.

oh and I got a "Have you lost weight?" compliment today from a (really hot) former coworker.

Me: "Yes I have. And might I say, now that we're not working together anymore, you're having a really good ass and hair day." Always a charmer, I am.

I got some raw almonds for snacking. I keep them in my desk. I need to be careful with them, I think I am still hungry, then bam, about 20 min. later I'm really full. Do they expand in your stomic or something? Anyway, it is great to have something that can curb cravings.

And good news on the compliment Ztem!

I got some raw almonds for snacking. I keep them in my desk. I need to be careful with them, I think I am still hungry, then bam, about 20 min. later I'm really full. Do they expand in your stomic or something? Anyway, it is great to have something that can curb cravings.

And good news on the compliment Ztem!

thanks!

you know it takes 20 minutes from after you start eating to when you feel full, right? the part of the stomach that registers "fullness" is a little lower down from where the food initially hits. this is also why if you're a chronic over eater it helps to eat slowly and drink water between bites. :)

Another good day.

Breakfast was a denver omelet made with 1 egg, 3 egg whites, some fat free milk, pepper, green and red bell peppers, onion, lean ham and reduced-fat cheddar. Slice of whole wheat bread for carbs.

Dessert was lunch - the cheesecake I made yesterday.

Dinner was lunch. A chicken salad with black beans, corn, red bell pepper, onion and butter lettuce. The dressing was lite mayonnaise, fat-free sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and red pepper.

Also a shake and bar.

I have a lot more energy and feel I am thinking clearer. Gotta say cooking so much is starting to get to me though. And I don't feel it's cheaper than buying meals. My grocery bill per day is just as high, most likely higher, than eating out.

Still, I'm happy with the plan so far.

ETA: If you have an iPhone, the Lose It! app is pretty damn fantastic. And free!

I think I'm psychologically attached to my weight. Meaning when I had a holiday weekend a few weeks ago and came back four pounds heavier I kicked things in high gear for five or six days and dropped right back to where I was before. Then without really noticing that my determination had come down, I sort of went back to the status quo. I'm always stuck at the status quo, which would explain how after five months of working out six days a week and eating less than 2200 calories a day I'm still the same weight I was five months ago. So I'm trying a mental trick. I"m thinking of myself not as a 205 guy who'd right at the right weight anyway, but as being 185, and I've somehow put on twenty extra pounds and I need to get rid of those. I've been thinking to myself as a mantra, "I'm 185." for various purposes the last couple days, I think it may be working, my intensity has gone back up and I find that diet temptations are much easier to handle under this mindset. fwiw, whenever I spike over 205 in the last several years, I've always managed to take it off in a few weeks because being over that 'norm' would make it much easier to resist diet temptations, but once I returned to the norm I'd find I didn't have the same will power to resist diet temptations, it was easy to justify whatever I ate to stay at 205. So getting that resistance back for this current weight of 205 is encouraging.

Total weightloss is now 25 pounds.

I am going to try a few diffent foods this weekend including Quinoa and brown rice.

I actually love the Atkins protein bars, weight control oatmeal and salads. I have been trying to keep the fruits to one a day :( But an apple, orange or watermelon is a lot better than chips and candybars. I think my protein intake could be a bit higher. I have tried a few new fish recipes, but it was still fish, and I am rather "meh" when it comes to eatting it.

lockesnow - that sounds like a great approach. I like it.

I do too. It is why I switched to the whole body pic (take a few days before my last av)

I was around 165 then, and it is where I am telling myself I should be. I really need to get motivated on the exercise part. I am doing fine with the diet side.

Lany, you do look very good in that picture. I use my clothing size as what I should be. If a size 6 doesn't fit, I need to do something about it. Of course, clothing manufacturers won't have a standard size 6, so sometimes I fit into a 4 and other times I need to go as far as a 10. (I use clothing size because I refuse to weigh myself)

I think I'm psychologically attached to my weight. Meaning when I had a holiday weekend a few weeks ago and came back four pounds heavier I kicked things in high gear for five or six days and dropped right back to where I was before. Then without really noticing that my determination had come down, I sort of went back to the status quo. I'm always stuck at the status quo, which would explain how after five months of working out six days a week and eating less than 2200 calories a day I'm still the same weight I was five months ago. So I'm trying a mental trick. I"m thinking of myself not as a 205 guy who'd right at the right weight anyway, but as being 185, and I've somehow put on twenty extra pounds and I need to get rid of those. I've been thinking to myself as a mantra, "I'm 185." for various purposes the last couple days, I think it may be working, my intensity has gone back up and I find that diet temptations are much easier to handle under this mindset. fwiw, whenever I spike over 205 in the last several years, I've always managed to take it off in a few weeks because being over that 'norm' would make it much easier to resist diet temptations, but once I returned to the norm I'd find I didn't have the same will power to resist diet temptations, it was easy to justify whatever I ate to stay at 205. So getting that resistance back for this current weight of 205 is encouraging.

Anything that works motivationwise is hard to criticize, but really, it's not about the numbers, and focusing just on the scale can be de-motivating in the long term. There are just so many things that can affect that number on any given day.

Try and shift your focus to how you feel, how your clothes fit, body fat pct (if you can get it). i think it's still good to weigh yourself everyday, but only in order to sort of determine general trends.....

I am being tortured by having to listen to three people in our sales department trade absurd ideas about nutrition and health. They're going on about Lean Cuisine, and complaining that they are hungry all the time (not because of increased metabolism, but because they are starving themselves to lose weight). I want to punch them all.

People are so fucking clueless about food. There are people that are basically 20 years behind the times. They probably think that if it's low fat then it must be healthy.

Are you spying on me?! They were going on about this EXACT topic. It was driving me insane. :stunned:

lean cuisine along with most TV dinners give me sugar cravings like you wouldn't believe. I bet it has something to do with the salt content.

right now I'm eating a couple sausages with mustard. a little high in fat, but they should take me through to evening if I don't die on my bike ride.

for the bike ride, I"m packing a PB/ protein smoothie to be consumed enroute. A little protein, a bit o' sugar, and I should be a smiling Jack.

lockesnow, that's a great idea - mental visualization can take you a long way.

Lany, I left a quinoa recipe upthread which a friend served with lamb souvlaki. I was always sceptical of quinoa until I tried that one.

Have printed out needle's training plan as the Things are getting faster with all their soccer playing. Will keep you all posted once I start it.

People are so fucking clueless about food. There are people that are basically 20 years behind the times. They probably think that if it's low fat then it must be healthy.

To be fair, you realy can't blame people for not knowing anything about nutrition. There is so much misinformation out there and really you don't know who to believe. I mean you can just take me for example. Just look at my questions/statements over the past few days. I never concerned myself w/ nutrition b/c I was never 'out of shape.' I don't know of any grade schools or high schools in my area that ever taught any kind of nutrition while growing up, which may be why America is so collectively out of shape. There is a nutrition class offered at my college which I plan on taking when my courseload clears up, but aside from that there is so much information out in the world and so much of it is contradictory you really just don't know what to believe. And with all the commercials and advertising talking about low-fat foods and health it is only natural that people are going to believe that low-fat = healthy.

Also I have a new question, what determines how much food amounts to a 'serving'?

Archived