Bronx teen confesses to roasting kitten

Zap Rowsdower

A Bronx teenager roasted her ex-roommate's kitten to death in a stove - then brushed off the incident as a joke when she was busted, authorities said Thursday.

"I hate cats," Cheyenne Cherry, 17, allegedly told investigators when asked about the heartless crime.

She and an unidentified juvenile allegedly broke into Valerie Hernandez's Tinton Ave. apartment on May 6 and trashed the place.

Then in a shocking act of animal abuse, they tossed the woman's kitten, Tiger Lily, into the stove and cranked up the temperature, ASPCA assistant director Joe Pentangelo said.

Cherry told authorities that she and her accomplice "thought we would play a joke on Valerie and mess up her apartment."

The duo bolted from the apartment with DVDs and packages of noodles, Pentangelo said.

"She didn't want to hear the cat crying and scratching at the oven door," Pentangelo said.

Firefighters found the female cat's remains smoldering in the oven after neighbors complained of smoke coming from Hernandez's apartment.

Source

My response to this is an eye for an eye- throw Cheyenne Cherry in an oven and crank up the temperature.

Horrific. While doing the same to her is quite extreme, she should certainly be punished harshly. Not only that but it is evident this woman is a freaking psycho who will go onto to commit even worse crimes. She should be sent to mandatory therapy and entered into the database, so that if she commits any crime again she gets hauled off to jail.

Really, how fucked up do you have to be to hurt/torture/kill an adorable little kitten?

Fucking bitch.

Source

My response to this is an eye for an eye- throw Cheyenne Cherry in an oven and crank up the temperature.

And tell her not to worry when her skin starts to blister and crackle, because it's just a joke.

okay so roasting her is a little extreme, but how about chopping off a finger or something?

Why is it extreme? That's what she did to the kitten. If you can't support roasting her alive, then why jump all the way down to taking a finger? Why not make the next "less extreme" step simply be the death penalty?

This attitude hurts your case more than you realize. You must understand that a lot of people do not view animals with your degree of empathy. They think not human = lesser being, which entitles them to express an indifference to cruelty on a remarkable level. When confronted by this indifference, instead of examining why they've arrived at their assumptions - which are often unreasonable or flawed - they get defensive and view you as antagonistic, which allows them to discount you outright, no matter how logical or otherwise persuasive you may be.

Now if you are actually serious about what you've stated, rather than going through some cathartic emotional outburst, then one must inquire what your perception on the purpose of our justice system is? Should it be less about rehabilitation and crime deterrence and more about abusing criminals to make you feel better?

Anyway, it is a pity that animal cruelty doesn't receive a harsher penalty, as it is indicative of sociopathic tendencies, and does pose a threat to society in general (someone detached enough that they can cook a cat is likely capable of extending their cruelty to human beings; in fact, in this case that seems the specific purpose - the cruelty was directed to the cat only as a proxy).

But considering how the laws are, it was probably a smart move on the criminal's part. She probably won't receive any jail time, and I doubt will have too large a fine. Maybe some probation, but otherwise nothing to sweat about. Weigh this against the emotional destruction she has wrought against her rival, who is helpless to revenge herself legally, and it seems safe to call a checkmate right here. Good for her, I guess.

the NY cruelty to animals statute:

1. A person is guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals when, with no justifiable purpose, he or she intentionally kills or intentionally causes serious physical injury to a companion animal with aggravated cruelty. For purposes of this section, "aggravated cruelty" shall mean conduct which: (i) is intended to cause extreme physical pain; or (ii) is done or carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner.

sounds like it fits.

the offense, it appears, is a misdemeanor, and sentence is 15 days to two years, if i've read the statute correctly.

some folks might think 15 days in the clink to be a good bargain. nasty.

1. A person is guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals when, with no justifiable purpose, he or she intentionally kills or intentionally causes serious physical injury to a companion animal with aggravated cruelty. For purposes of this section, "aggravated cruelty" shall mean conduct which: (i) is intended to cause extreme physical pain; or (ii) is done or carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner.

Does that mean that you can do whatever you want to an animal so long as it isn't someone's pet?

Does that mean that you can do whatever you want to an animal so long as it isn't someone's pet?

Kind of.

Law enforcement in much of the US doesn't really know how to approach or prosecute animal abuse cases.

Sick.

The law in this case is clearly insufficient. This woman is clearly a sociopath, and will likely go on to far worse crimes -- childhood torture of animals is the number one predictor of adult criminal behavior. She should never be allowed to have or care for children, the elderly or the disabled. She should be barred from any career in law enforcement, civil service, or any other occupation that gives her power over others. And she should be required to undergo a lifetime of therapy at the very least.

We desperately need a federal database that bags, tags and monitors these people for life. Two years of jail is insufficient punishment. When this woman eventually decides to burn down someone's house with them inside because she wants to "teach them a lesson," that two years is going to look awfully weak.

Sick.

The law in this case is clearly insufficient. This woman is clearly a sociopath, and will likely go on to far worse crimes -- childhood torture of animals is the number one predictor of adult criminal behavior. She should never be allowed to have or care for children, the elderly or the disabled. She should be barred from any career in law enforcement, civil service, or any other occupation that gives her power over others. And she should be required to undergo a lifetime of therapy at the very least.

We desperately need a federal database that bags, tags and monitors these people for life. Two years of jail is insufficient punishment. When this woman eventually decides to burn down someone's house with them inside because she wants to "teach them a lesson," that two years is going to look awfully weak.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Ahem.

Sorry.

That's how your post made me feel. I almost feel like you are pullin our collective leg here.

Guest thebadlady
Sick.

I think you are saying Hitler burned people alive to teach them a lesson.

GODWINED!!!

Any motherfucker who kills a kitten is singled out for a life of hell from GOD. Anyway, she will be tried and that shit will be on her record. One hopes nursing homes, schools and the like will reject a kitten burner from employment.

Guest thebadlady
Relic,

Because baking live Kittens is a perfectly reasonable thing to do? What is inaccurate about UDMs post?

IANR (i am not a Relic), but my guess is he was amused by the rabid PETAness of UDMs post.

IANP (i am not peta), but i'd kill a motherfucker who burns kittens. KITTEH!!

Archived