Yet Another World of Warcraft Thread

Mack Kilimaro

My story for tonight involves Yogg-Saron. I had never fought Yogg-Saron before tonight. Horde side 10 man was not happening because the other two healers were busy elsewhere and we don't have fill-ins, so I went raiding Alliance side. It was supposed to be a heroic, but not enough were on for 25 man so they dragged me into their 10 man for Yogg. None of them had ever fought Yogg before either. They just killed Vezax last night.

In about 90 minutes of wiping, the best that we managed was five explosions centered on Sara, and then we would get overwhelmed by adds, chiefly because people in the raid did not understand how to avoid clouds. Now, I can't cast stones entirely since I made a couple miscues while moving around and tanking. But seriously, that is going to be a bitch to learn. Or else half the raid just sucked at not standing in clouds. I never could figure out how the ordinary spawn rate went since someone always fucked it up.

There are two things you need to do. Not Stand in the Clouds, and not kill the mobs before they get to the center. ITS NOT ROCKET SURGERY!!!

/sigh.

sorry.

The clouds are insidious. The move, in circles. and they may spawn on you according to certain ranged classes.

Got Yogg to 10% in 1 hour of attempts last night. in truth that wasnt bad considering all the new folks we have. We absorbed the top 6 raiders from another 25 man guild that couldnt get anough people to show. So suddenly instead of having 26 people show up for a raid we had 40. Was kinda nice.

Did lots of stuff, got no progress really.

Got a decent batch of heroics in, though some of the people I was grouped with... went to H-AN, and the group disbanded on Anub'arak because frankly they couldn't damn well avoid dying everywhere. H-OK group wiped a few times on the first boss and disbanded. H-UP group I had to bring in two guildies to finish it; something about the dps being too damned stupid to kill off the last pair of adds once Skadi landed. Got some dps boots that will last me until I get Ebon Blade exalted, so really, nothing.

Did get an Emalon 25 that succeeded. End result was watching a blue-geared ret paladin doing something like half my dps upgrade her gloves on Archavon. Stupid dice.

As a guild we managed a bit of a gearing up Naxx-10 run last night, but I wasn't in it, since I have prior commitments on Sunday nights. It was most of the night to form and do two wings, but it had multiple new-to-Naxx and very few geared people. I gather they finished Spider & Plague and probably called it after that.

Here is hoping that:

a) the guild leader does not get scheduled to work on Thursday

and

b) the guild leader and her boyfriend are not fighting still on Thursday.

I suspect both are required for an Ulduar night that succeeds to the point of forming.

Errr...there's no shockwave on phase 3. :P

Haha, my point was I was alive in phase 3 when we wiped it..therefore I survived shockwave in p1 (mainly my issue) and spinning out/laser barrage p2. :P

Well gosh, I funno steve - I know rocket science AND brain surgery, but rocket surgery? That actually sounds harder than normal! :P

It is also definitely fucking not brain science. :P

I'm working on getting into a 10 man ulduar run before I jump into anything guild-raid wise. I'm not interested in wiping everyone.

It isn't until you get later into Ulduar that you really can fuck up enough to threaten the raid. FL, Ignis, Razorscale, XT, etc. are all pretty easy with some familiarity and an explanation beforehand.

Well my guild has been working on yogg 25 man for a couple of weeks now. We just cant seem to stay focused enough to get there from here. We usually end up wiping it in P3 when we lose control of the adds.

Any tips on P3?

We got Yoggie to P3 a couple of times now. We always fall apart in the transition, so far, and our Brain DPS is too slow. We keep getting 5 phases in there, or a minimum of 4 on our best attempts, while we really want it to be 3. Note that this is with downgrading to 4 healers, which in my mind is close to the RNG limit for a guild with our gear level. 2-3 of those healers are normally rock solid, but it is still too close to the limit for my liking really. 5 is more comfortable.

At least we seem to be able to more or less keep our shit together in P2, and it seems the drama has abated, people actually talk to eachother again and we can maybe move on without being disrespectful and hostile to eachother. One can hope. :)

P1 is tricky. In fact, I'd say P1 is trickier than P2 to a lot of people as they just CANNOT grasp the "Don't stand in clouds. No really, don't stand in them" plus the interrupts, or more like it: complete lack thereof. Ten man is a breeze in P1 compared to 25-man. Ugh.

Re P3: I think what we did wrong last time was a really bad timing of CDs on tanks. Basically our main pally healer rejected us using CDs in the transition, while I was strongly pro, and we ended up not doing it, and two tanks for two shotted for it. One hit from a guardian on full HP will sometimes unluckily take off 75% of a tank's life, and you need to be super vigilant as a healer, as do the tanks when they pick up new Guardians.

We also can't get the positioning to work, and people are milling around way too much in the beginning and randomly DPSing whatever, getting aggro and dying before tanks manage to pick up Guardians. We also have healers getting aggro on Guardian spawns, and healers will get one shotted by them, so that's where we are now.

Both the transition to P2 and P3 are pretty hard to get right, and I guess you just need to keep on practising until people know where to go and what to do.

XT you can kill people with light or gravity bomb.

P3 yogg is suppossed to be the simplest, but what I think makes it so hard is that it forces people to turn around. I mean its not there is a good visual clue to tell you when you need to turn around, those pink lightning beams shooting between you and the giant brain in the middle are notoriously difficult to see. Our dps really seems to suck ass on that phase. We are taking forever to burn the brain down.

I dont know if you can manage to beat the enrage if you take more than 3 trips to the brain room. Sometimes even then its not enough, if we dont get it to 30% ahead of the timer.

On P1 I concentrate on interupts. But where we usually miss them is when th e tanks are moving them in and out. It will be out of range, or ill switch to dps the next one, and then it will cast. The spell also seems to complete before his cast bar finishes sometime, as I know hit him w/ a shock before its done, and the volley still shoots out.

yogg really is going to make me insane one of these days. I'm not looking forwards to hard mode Yogg.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone has problems with AN, H- or otherwise, unless they're woefully undergeared. All three boss fights are pretty simple, and unless you forget to nail the skirmishers first it isn't like the trash is any real threat either.

WowWiki says that the last boss is the hardest heroic fight in the game. I have to wonder what they're smoking.

Well my guild has been working on yogg 25 man for a couple of weeks now. We just cant seem to stay focused enough to get there from here. We usually end up wiping it in P3 when we lose control of the adds.

Any tips on P3?

Ok, so we've killed Yogg on 25 man, though you would not know it with all our eople dying on phase 1....

Anyway..

At ten percent, all DPs on Yogg. The tanks simply must burn their cooldowns and the healers must heal the tanks like it's Brutallus again. You lust and hope to get Yogg down. That's the best advice I can give.... that phase is a nightmare.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone has problems with AN, H- or otherwise, unless they're woefully undergeared. All three boss fights are pretty simple, and unless you forget to nail the skirmishers first it isn't like the trash is any real threat either.

WowWiki says that the last boss is the hardest heroic fight in the game. I have to wonder what they're smoking.

Gear doesn't matter...it makes it easier, but it doesn't matter. For anything in the game. That at least is what a guildie is telling me about why some people should be allowed into Ulduar even though the "80" showing on their toon doesn't even have a bit of tarnish on it.

With that said..there are two new facerolling DK's on QD. Still have a lot of reading to do about how these things work and some experimenting to do, but so far Blood/Unholy looks like a lot of fun.

On P1 I concentrate on interupts. But where we usually miss them is when th e tanks are moving them in and out. It will be out of range, or ill switch to dps the next one, and then it will cast. The spell also seems to complete before his cast bar finishes sometime, as I know hit him w/ a shock before its done, and the volley still shoots out.

yogg really is going to make me insane one of these days. I'm not looking forwards to hard mode Yogg.

I did notice that was a problem too. I'd pick up a mob on the outer edge and have this stream of thoughts run through my brain: "Fuck, get him to the center. Fuck, he's not moving. Fuck, why isn't he moving? Fuck, he's casting. Fuck, strafe back and interrupt. Fuck, it's on cooldown. Fuck, where did these these four extra adds come from? Fuck, that's a wipe."

Didn't help that the only people in the raid who could interrupt were me and a mage. Actually, that may be incorrect, as we had a prot pally and I'm not sure if the Avenger's Shield silence or HoJ work, but I really don't like to rely on cooldowns longer than 12 seconds being available once it starts getting crazy, and all of those are longer than 20.

As the primary tank for the P1 mobs, I never got MCed, and DBM didn't seem to have any kind of notice or warning for when someone got MCed, so I'm not sure how much that was contributing to problems. It's definitely a lot to absorb to just avoid fucking up, to say nothing of actually killing things. And it probably didn't help the other melee that several times I dove between two converging clouds at the last possible second, so I was safe but anyone following was not. But I guess that's one of those things where you would expect a person of average intelligence would figure it out, thus excluding all melee DPS. And all DPS in general, for that matter.

I'd say that I'm scared to ever fight this guy with my Horde guild, but we're never going to kill Mimiron anyway, so I don't have to worry about it that much.

RIGHT. It only took Mandy a WARRIOR TANK WHO NEVER PLAYED A WARLOCK to instruct her about the usefulness of Soul Shatter.

To which she casually replied. "I could have used this so many times" folowed by "I'm dead".

<3 Mandy :)

Thats ok it took an enhancement shaman to tell her about Seed of Corruption. ;)

Got the DK in on a couple of raids this weekend. Did 10 man Naxx. Yags got all the upgrades, but I did get the 17 badges or however many so I'm closer to a trinket. I'm still using the green argent crusade quest reward. Was kinda nice to see what I could do on him. managed like 3200 dps over all so not too bad for an alt in a 10 man. Ran an OS 25 pug as well and i think I was like 4th over all. Not bad with mostly BOE gear with a couple of WG pvp pieces. I really need more valor badges to get a new Sigil. I'm still using the starter quest one. :(

Ran Ulduar 10-man pug this weekend and made it to Hodir. Basically had only successfully downed FL in a pug before, but there were a few folks from Necromancers in the group who managed the crew pretty well.

After XT though, I hadn't even read a strategy since I assumed I'd never do shit past it. We basically wiped the first time on every fight since a lot of people hadn't done them before... and 2nd time stomped the shit out of the boss. Thankfully took me 1 time to learn the fights, and I was able to do pretty well, although my DPS sucked hard. 1 cloth item dropped and that was about it, so no ph4t l3wts. I actually like the ulduar fights a lot, but can see how fucking irritating it would be if you have retards there. Hodir sucked, I think our crew just was undergeared and tired... we got him to 10% before wiping on the first try, and never did better than that (he'd have been dead if I knew wtf I was doing, and focused on standing in the fire and getting him debuffed).

Besides that, we did a social 10 man naxx, which was pretty good. Only had a couple wipes... mostly on trash unfortunately. We nearly called it right before thaddius because we wiped 3 times on the ghasts.

Picked up 2 upgrades this weekend (probably first in a month or so), hat in naxx, and ring from 25-man FL pug...

It's the hardest achievement (or was). Wowwiki is otherwise lying; the hardest heroic boss is either Loken or Eregos depending on how you count 'hard'. More people wiped on Loken than anyone else, but fewer people have even tried Eregos than any other heroic boss.

Seriously, wowwiki is just flat-out wrong so often nowadays it's just not that useful.

Naxx was fun on Friday. It was downright refreshing to play with a majority of competent DPS. The difference between our attempts the prior week on Sarth3D was comical, especially given that a large chunk of the new players had never, ever seen the fight.

We also can't get the positioning to work, and people are milling around way too much in the beginning and randomly DPSing whatever, getting aggro and dying before tanks manage to pick up Guardians. We also have healers getting aggro on Guardian spawns, and healers will get one shotted by them, so that's where we are now.

Both the transition to P2 and P3 are pretty hard to get right, and I guess you just need to keep on practising until people know where to go and what to do.

Stego can correct me on some of this, as I've only been in on it for a couple days, but...

First off, if you kill the brain in more than 4 tries, it's a wipe. Don't bother going to P3 until you've learned that. There is literally no point to doing so; all you'll do is teach yourself bad habits.

Second, the transition from P1 to P2 shouldn't be that bad. You should have only one add in the center. You should have the rest of the guardians outside, and melee should be killing them or getting close to killing them. They should be away from the rest of the group (we put them near the sanity wells). Have one ranged assigned to finish them off. Melee should peel from the first to the next until they're all down. You have plenty of time at this point for melee; there's like 30 seconds at least until the first portal. In the meantime, you need to call out where the crusher is and make sure the rest of your ranged is on it. Avoid constrictors and call out if you're a melee assigned to the portals if you get it. Tanks should be doing the fun crusher dance to reset his stacks. Melee should be getting in position to take the first portal; don't fuck around here. Make sure you assign melee portals to go to as well; we assign a north, west and east group of 3 melee each to go in.

When you're in the brain room, you should be similarly split up in DPS. The worst thing you can do is rampage around retardedly together. They need to split up so that all the sides get killed about the same time. What I've been doing is (usually) getting to the first guy (cause I'm a fast kitty), putting a bleed and another hit on it, then moving to the next and doing the same. Other folks come in and clean up behind, and we have about 40 seconds on DPS on the brain. I believe we use a bloodlust on the lich king room too; that's the fastest one to kill the tentacles. Also, don't leave early and don't finish too early on the third brain; you need to give the ranged time to DPS the crushers down between P2 and P3, or it's a wipe. We often slow DPS on the third brain and try and finish with about 10 seconds left.

But definitely don't work at getting to P3 with 5 brain phases. You'll just teach bad practices.

First off, if you kill the brain in more than 4 tries, it's a wipe. Don't bother going to P3 until you've learned that. There is literally no point to doing so; all you'll do is teach yourself bad habits.

Meh not really. It is a wipe mostly because with the extra time wasted and mostlikely 1-2 crushers they will get 2 adds. BUT since positioning and practicing killing the adds, balancing your DPS, getting used to not facing him. healers positions and getting used to the amount of healing necessary there is really no bad habits to develop. Its a constant adjustment and a good practice. and you definitely want to practice that phase because everything has to click jsut right to beat the timer, your tanks to be alive and no guardians runnin around one shotting clothies. It is not a good idea to go to P3 with more than 3 brain phases, that should be what they need to aim for but keep going the more u practice with everything goiing ape shit the better chance you may have to get out of a sticky sitautaion. Later on as you get more comforatble with the fight and you actaully make it to P3, you can start calling for wipes if you dont get P3 with 3 brain phases. In my opinion at least as that is how we did it the first few times just to practice.

Second, the transition from P1 to P2 shouldn't be that bad. You should have only one add in the center. You should have the rest of the guardians outside, and melee should be killing them or getting close to killing them. They should be away from the rest of the group (we put them near the sanity wells). Have one ranged assigned to finish them off. Melee should peel from the first to the next until they're all down.

If there is a ranged on these adds and not ont he crusher THEY ARE RONG!. There should be no ranged. If melee get the adds to about 70-80k health (about 8-9%) and run out, the tank can finish it in about 15 seconds. Dont stand too close to the sanity wells or they will place a debuff on you and after a little while you will be feared. (it cannot be broken)

Tanks should be doing the fun crusher dance to reset his stacks.

The tank dance does not reset the stacks. The tanks tanks have to watch out for the stacks put on by the ranged DPS. If the stacks are above 50 there is a good chance the tank will die. The tanks run in to interrupt the channeling spell which reduces the damage output by raid by 20% (per crusher). The stacks automatically reset after a couple seconds of no one doung DPS. Since its too hectic for people to stop DPS, most of the time the warr tanks will use Heroic throw to interrupt the channelling. Too bad its a 1 min CD.

It's the hardest achievement (or was). Wowwiki is otherwise lying; the hardest heroic boss is either Loken or Eregos depending on how you count 'hard'. More people wiped on Loken than anyone else, but fewer people have even tried Eregos than any other heroic boss.

Seriously, wowwiki is just flat-out wrong so often nowadays it's just not that useful.

snip...

Loken was the toughest until you had 20k health buffed group wide then you just stand on top of him and take the lightening hit. I have killed him in like 25s using that strat. Go go nature resist totem/aspect of the wild.

Meh not really. It is a wipe mostly because with the extra time wasted and mostlikely 1-2 crushers they will get 2 adds. BUT since positioning and practicing killing the adds, balancing your DPS, getting used to not facing him. healers positions and getting used to the amount of healing necessary there is really no bad habits to develop. Its a constant adjustment and a good practice. and you definitely want to practice that phase because everything has to click jsut right to beat the timer, your tanks to be alive and no guardians runnin around one shotting clothies.
Guess I disagree, Dash. I don't see a lot of point in practicing having to deal with multiple crushers on the transition, for instance. I'd rather spend the time learning how to get each thing right. Clearly it worked for FnB, but that isn't to say that it's the only thing that works.

If there is a ranged on these adds and not ont he crusher THEY ARE RONG!. There should be no ranged. If melee get the adds to about 70-80k health (about 8-9%) and run out, the tank can finish it in about 15 seconds. Dont stand too close to the sanity wells or they will place a debuff on you and after a little while you will be feared. (it cannot be broken)
Huh. I could've sworn at least one ranged was on those guys. They certainly were taking a long time to die without anyone on 'em other than the tank.

The tank dance does not reset the stacks. The tanks tanks have to watch out for the stacks put on by the ranged DPS. If the stacks are above 50 there is a good chance the tank will die. The tanks run in to interrupt the channeling spell which reduces the damage output by raid by 20% (per crusher). The stacks automatically reset after a couple seconds of no one doung DPS. Since its too hectic for people to stop DPS, most of the time the warr tanks will use Heroic throw to interrupt the channelling. Too bad its a 1 min CD.
The tank dance I'm referring to is the run in & interrupt then back out part. It's not a stance dance. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. And I have no idea what a paladin or DK do to interrupt; I know a feral can charge and automatically interrupt + be in melee, and a warrior can charge/bash or heroic throw - what do paladins do? And yeah, you're right - I was talking about the interrupting the channeling, not the stacks. My bad.

Archived