NHL: Hope Springs Eternal*

BLU-RAY

Mm, I was gonna ask for a stay of execution on the other thread, since this one will only have one game to its credit, but we can use it for offseason chatter if there is any.

I'm gonna pick Penguins 4-2 Red Wings (4th goal an empty-netter).

Best of luck to both sides, this has been a glorious playoff run, and it's too damn bad it has to end now.

Let's Go Pens!

Yes!

I want the Pens to win because

1) Kris Letang should get to raise the cup in memory of his best friend Luc Bourdon

2) It would screw over Hossa and that would be funny

So go Pens!

Also, go Jim Balsille! :)

Well, the Wings didn't win, but by betting against them I won 500 kr ($ 50), so there's my silver lining. Congrats to the Pens - Malkin for being the first russian to win the Conn Smythe and to Crosby for manning up and showing leadership abilities.

Now, for me the upcoming draft (June 26-27) is all about David Rundblad, expected to go in the second half of the first round. He's an exciting offensive defenseman from a tiny town in northern Sweden that happens to be my hometown. Go Dave!

Despite the outcome, a good series. Could have been interesting at the end there with the final shots - one a crossbar(!?!).

Here's a telling stat from the Detroit Free Press

They got no goals from the stars. It was fitting that Lidstrom was thwarted on the last shot. . He had no goals all series. Neither did Hossa. Neither did Tomas Holmstrom. Neither did Pavel Datsyuk in three games.

Great games by Talbot and MAF. I obviously wish it would have turned out differently, but it was certainly entertaining watching the Wings throw themselves at Fleury for the last period and a half. That crossbar broke my heart.

Grats to those of you who are Pens fans. Maybe next time your captain will actually shake hands with the other team's.

Going at it again next year is certainly a distinct possibility. We need a rubber series now.

I was on vacation all last week and watched the games at the beach. This final and all the playoffs is why I love hockey. Some great games. Great plays. Great goaltending. I wanted Detroit to win, but loved the series. Congrats to the Pens.

Anyone notice that Crosby did not shake hands with the players.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/s..._red_wings.html

Detroit — The Red Wings can accept that Pittsburgh is the Stanley Cup champion. Getting snubbed by Sidney Crosby is another matter.

After watching Pittsburgh hoist the Cup on Detroit’s ice, the Red Wings lined up to shake hands with the Penguins as is custom in the NHL playoffs.

Enlarge this image

AP

Detroit Red Wings’ captain Nicklas Lidstrom (right) and his teammates wait for more Pittsburgh Penguin captain Sidney Crosby to shake hands after Red Wings’ 2-1 loss to the Penguins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Detroit captain Nicklas Lidstrom was up front, followed by alternate captain Kris Draper, congratulating many of the new champions while waiting for Pittsburgh’s captain.

“Nick was waiting and waiting, and Crosby didn’t come over to shake his hand,†Draper told an Associated Press reporter a couple hours later as he was leaving Joe Louis Arena. “That’s ridiculous, especially as their captain, and make sure you write that I said that!â€

Grats to those of you who are Pens fans. Maybe next time your captain will actually shake hands with the other team's.

:rolleyes:

He didn't snub anyone. biggest non story of the playoffs, and total sour grapes on Drapers part.

And maybe next time your fans will show some class, instead of cheering an injured player, and booing the pens in general after the game.

Anyone notice that Crosby did not shake hands with the players.

Yes. He did.

He was delayed getting to the handshake line, and lidstrom left the ice really, really fast.

Going at it again next year is certainly a distinct possibility. We need a rubber series now.

Definitely could happen. both teams have some free agency issues to deal with in the off season.

OK, I just re-watched it: Crosby did not shake hands with Lidstrom, it's true.

Crosby took a long time getting into the handshake line, but he certainly did so. Almost simultaneously as the first three Wings left the ice (Draper, Hossa, Lidstrom, in that order.) Maybe next time Crosby won't allow himself to be congratulated so much by a fuckload of Pittsburgh suits like happened here and get his ass in the handshake line earlier, but it wasn't an intentional snub.

I am still in awe. What an unbelievable season...just back in March, no one could have expected this. Talbot was great all post-season, a huge key to the Pens run. MAF silenced his critics for good on that last second. Staal, Orpik, even Miro Satan...all massive scapegoats during the regular season...come up with big plays and do their part in major ways, particularly Staal. Just unbelievable.

Oh please. He was being interviewed and Lidstrom left pretty damn quickly. No one cares about this except Kris Draper and a handful of perpetual Crosby-bashers. There's a good reason why it was Draper who whined about this, instead of the classy Lidstrom: it's because it's meaningless. But yeah, hopefully he does shake the captain's hand next time he wins the Cup. And the next time.

I am still in awe. What an unbelievable season...just back in March, no one could have expected this. Talbot was great all post-season, a huge key to the Pens run. MAF silenced his critics for good on that last second. Staal, Orpik, even Miro Satan...all massive scapegoats during the regular season...come up with big plays and do their part in major ways, particularly Staal. Just unbelievable.

Oh please. He was being interviewed and Lidstrom left pretty damn quickly. No one cares about this except Kris Draper and a handful of perpetual Crosby-bashers. There's a good reason why it was Draper who whined about this, instead of the classy Lidstrom: it's because it's meaningless. But yeah, hopefully he does shake the captain's hand next time he wins the Cup. And the next time.

And also, the time after that......

Here are the trophy winners of the awards that have been voted upon:

Hart: Alex Ovechkin

Vezina: Tim Thomas

Norris: Zdeno Chara

Calder: Steve Mason

Jack Adams: Claude Julien

Selke: Pavel Datsyuk

Lady Byng: Pavel Datsyuk

Masterton: Steve Sullivan

And the all-star teams:

Ovechkin - Malkin - Iginla