NHL: Hope Springs Eternal*

BLU-RAY

The Sharks have officially stated that they are in talks with him, but a Dallas fan-site is claiming that it will be Dallas or Toronto, leaning in the Leaf's direction.

Defending Big D: "According to Mark Stepneski, this Swedish report mentioned that he was leaning towards Toronto."

This article agrees that San Jose (as well as Colorado, hadn't heard they were in the mix) are out.

ETA: Big D link, since the whole article is pretty good.

I'm kinda bummed about Sakic retiring. Given the injuries he sustained, I think a comeback would have been probably close to miraculous. :(

my girl feels the same way. she has been following joe since the junior championships 20 or so years ago. she has loved him since the nordique days. we watched the press conference live today. i have only started watching hockey this last year, but from what i can tell from his stats, highlights and her testimonial sakic is a loss for hockey as a sport and as a leader for the avalanche and canada's olympic team.

The retirement of Burnaby Joe is a sign of the end (or near end) of a great generation of hockey. Chelios won't be back with the Red Wings, but he's looking for a team to sign with, and why not? He's only 47. Recchi just signed a one year contract. Sundin and Roenick are close to the end. Fedorov and Jagr are playing in europe.

The retirement of Burnaby Joe is a sign of the end (or near end) of a great generation of hockey. Chelios won't be back with the Red Wings, but he's looking for a team to sign with, and why not? He's only 47. Recchi just signed a one year contract. Sundin and Roenick are close to the end. Fedorov and Jagr are playing in europe.

Agree. We are starting to see the end of a great group of players. Players I loved to watch.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any else beside me tired of hearing Heatley complain.

I for one, will be loving him unconditionally for now.

I don't know how I missed this yesterday, but Mr. Heatley is now a Shark. They lose Cheechoo, Erhoff, and Michalek, but they did need the cap space.

Fuckin' A.

I for one, will be loving him unconditionally for now.

I don't know how I missed this yesterday, but Mr. Heatley is now a Shark. They lose Cheechoo, Erhoff, and Michalek, but they did need the cap space.

Fuckin' A.

Yeah, I was going to bump this or text you yesterday, but then I went to the bar to watch USC-OSU. I think you got fleeced, to be honest. You gave Cheechoo, Michalek, and a 2nd round pick for Heatley and a 5th, and I don't think you got value back. For one, I think the two of them will be more productive than Heatley this year, and for another, I think Heatley's well past the point where he's going to improve... he's still in his prime and will be for a few years, but... I dunno, I don't really see him reaching his previous heights again. I dunno, this just seems that it's going to give opposition even more incentive to key off on Thornton's line. I have a bad feeling.

I hope it works, though, because at his best, he's fucking electric, and will make for really exciting hockey. I'll go see a game or two (is Ottawa in town this year?).

Ehrhoff was traded to the Canucks with Lukowich for some prospects. That was probably a salary dump, yes.

Yeah, I was going to bump this or text you yesterday, but then I went to the bar to watch USC-OSU. I think you got fleeced, to be honest. You gave Cheechoo, Michalek, and a 2nd round pick for Heatley and a 5th, and I don't think you got value back. For one, I think the two of them will be more productive than Heatley this year, and for another, I think Heatley's well past the point where he's going to improve... he's still in his prime and will be for a few years, but... I dunno, I don't really see him reaching his previous heights again. I dunno, this just seems that it's going to give opposition even more incentive to key off on Thornton's line. I have a bad feeling.

I hope it works, though, because at his best, he's fucking electric, and will make for really exciting hockey. I'll go see a game or two (is Ottawa in town this year?).

Ehrhoff was traded to the Canucks with Lukowich for some prospects. That was probably a salary dump, yes.

I've been resigned to the fact that Cheechoo was gone, and Erhoff, Marleau/Michalek almost certainly as well. Nabby was a possibility too. I'm pretty sure only Thornton, Boyle, Clowe, and Murray were off limits.

But, the Sharks were seriously cap-fucked, and this was probably the best way to relieve that (for one season.) They are going to have to trust their young prospects will perform.*

*Unlike the Giants and the 49ers, I have faith in the Sharks farm.

I've been resigned to the fact that Cheechoo was gone, and Erhoff, Marleau/Michalek almost certainly as well. Nabby was a possibility too. I'm pretty sure only Thornton, Boyle, Clowe, and Murray were off limits.

But, the Sharks were seriously cap-fucked, and this was probably the best way to relieve that (for one season.) They are going to have to trust their young prospects will perform.*

*Unlike the Giants and the 49ers, I have faith in the Sharks farm.

The Shakrs farm is legit. I'm just not sold on Heatley. It'll be nice to be able to root for him, though. God, I fucking loathe the Senators.

I think the Sharks got fleeced, too. Once that Prima Donna's ego isn't stoked sufficently (which is bound to happen, btw), he'll just pull the same thing, underachieve and likely ask to be traded again, only the next time he does this he'll be past his prime and the Sharks will get next to nothing for him. Having said that, I'm glad that he's gone. Good riddance.

I saw Hossa leaving...didn't so much see the rest of the team following him.

Maybe there's a way in real life to turn line changes 'off.'

In all seriousness if Detroit can shore up defensively they'll still compete for a championship. The role players they've added should help do that even if they don't make up for the offense lost, and once the playoffs start its not like we'll notice Marian's even gone.

I saw Hossa leaving...didn't so much see the rest of the team following him.

Maybe there's a way in real life to turn line changes 'off.'

In all seriousness if Detroit can shore up defensively they'll still compete for a championship. The role players they've added should help do that even if they don't make up for the offense lost, and once the playoffs start its not like we'll notice Marian's even gone.

I love how much of a "what have you done for me recently" thing player evaluation is. Hossa had 6 goals and 9 assists in 15 games for Detroit; considering he wasn't supposed to be a top-three scorer (I don't think) that's not so bad; and the previous year, he played 20 games, had 12 goals and 14 assists and was an all-around beast.

The real reason Heatley wanted out of Ottawa: he couldn't stand listening to

any longer.

Just listening to that cracks me up. Spezza's an awesome player and has everything going for him. Except for that laugh, which is something you wouldn't expect to hear coming from a grown man. And his team mates has heard it often enough that they gave him the nickname Giggles.

I love how much of a "what have you done for me recently" thing player evaluation is. Hossa had 6 goals and 9 assists in 15 games for Detroit; considering he wasn't supposed to be a top-three scorer (I don't think) that's not so bad; and the previous year, he played 20 games, had 12 goals and 14 assists and was an all-around beast.

Yep. i don't get the hossa hate at all. And wasn't he injured during the playoffs?

he's exactly the kind of guy fans should love, but for some inexplicable reason, he gets mostly derision and scorn.

And we thank you for it! I saw Erhoff today at Canucks camp and he looked great on the ice. And that new prospect, Sergei Shirokov, is sure making a splash around here. He scored 2 goals in the preseason game last night, and one in the prospects game last week. He came down the tunnel during camp today even though he wasnt practicing in that session, and everyone wanted his autograph!

The Thrasher goalie situation is turning into a hot topic here in Atlanta. We have Lehtonen who is recovering from back surgery and is not in camp yet. We should have traded that injury prone fucker last season. We also have Hedberg, Legace, Pavelic, and McInytre. People have said Legace has looked very good so far at camp. I plan on going to practice on Sunday and the preseason home games on Monday and Wednesday of next week.

Looks of position things in the paper from Kovalchuk, his agent, and Waddell about resigning Kovalchuk. Sounds like both sides want to get it done. They have exchanged contract offers.

I can not wait for the season to start. I have already ordered the NHL Center Ice package.

and the previous year, he played 20 games, had 12 goals and 14 assists and was an all-around beast.

Well he was with the other guys that year. :P I really liked Hossa's work ethic and was extremely impressed with his defensive play. He's a great talent who suffered in the eyes of Detroit fans when it seemed like his game completely shriveled on the vine when we needed him the most - and in a situation where he had all the motivation a player could ever hope for - during the finals. His stats are also a little deceptive - he only actually scored goals in 3 games (2 each time) of 23, and had none during the finals. As for the expectations in regard to scoring, he, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg were supposed to be top 3. Franzen's emergence really helped pick up the average.

I didn't mean to say I wouldn't be happier with staying. I guess last June is still a little too fresh in my mind.

Wings and Philly in preseason game 1 tonight already. Wow.

And we thank you for it! I saw Erhoff today at Canucks camp and he looked great on the ice. And that new prospect, Sergei Shirokov, is sure making a splash around here. He scored 2 goals in the preseason game last night, and one in the prospects game last week. He came down the tunnel during camp today even though he wasnt practicing in that session, and everyone wanted his autograph!

I think Shirokov may be ahead of Hodgson in terms of cracking the roster right now... but Cody's slowly overcoming his back issues and it will soon be his chance to shine. I think he's playing Saturday against Edmonton.

I didn't get a chance to see Erhoff when I went to watch the Nucks' practice on Sunday... but they could have used his mobility against Chicago in the playoffs... :bang:

Yep. i don't get the hossa hate at all. And wasn't he injured during the playoffs?

he's exactly the kind of guy fans should love, but for some inexplicable reason, he gets mostly derision and scorn.

I don't think it's really inexplicable...he's not in it for the team, he's in it for Marion.

Think about this: He gets to the SCF with Pittsburgh and they lose to Detroit. So what does he do? Leaves for Detroit. He gets to the SCF with Detroit and they lose to Pittsburgh. So what does he do? Signs with Detroit's biggest and oldest rival.

I mean, to me...that's just disrespectful for fans of Pittsburgh and Detroit. I mean, I know it's a business and I know that people aren't always the greatest character guys, but come on, man...that's just so blatant.

Archived