2nd Revolution in Iran?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Latest completely unconfirmed report (via Twitter) is as follows:

Mohammad Khatami (the other reformist candidate) and Zahra Eshraghi (female activist) have been arrested

Also: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...si-readers.html

One of my readers has forwarded this report that Moussavi has been put under house arrest and that Rafsanjani has resigned or been detained. There's also a report that Sianat az ara, the election monitors who are approved by all the candidates, have also declared the result a fraud. I don't read Farsi so if anyone can confirm this reader's news, I'd be grateful. As of now, I am not reporting this, just asking. I find nothing of this sort on the English wires. If it's true, obviously this moment is spiraling into something bigger. Will try to nail it down.

Rafsanjani is, apparently, a member of the Expediency Council, an advisory board to the Ayatollah or something. Apparently he was a former president of Iran and hostile to Ahmadenijad.

Has the Iranian Government not blocked Twitter?

They have, but some enterprising individuals have majicked their way around it.

Also, more Twitter "news":

BBC journalist John Simpson reported riots in Tehran, Rasht, Babol, Mashhad and Shiraz.

I've been trying to find some up to the minute TV coverage of this. You figure an Axis of Evil member that doubles as a major rival and one of our top security concerns in the world having civil unrest and a possible coup JUST MIGHT be breaking news. Instead CNN had Sarah Palin overreacting (and misinterpreting) a bad joke by a late night talk show host. MSNBC ain't even running news, they've got prison shows on. And I didn't bother with Fox News.

I've been trying to find some up to the minute TV coverage of this. You figure an Axis of Evil member that doubles as a major rival and one of our top security concerns in the world having civil unrest and a possible coup JUST MIGHT be breaking news. Instead CNN had Sarah Palin overreacting (and misinterpreting) a bad joke by a late night talk show host. MSNBC ain't even running news, they've got prison shows on. And I didn't bother with Fox News.

I'd say I'm disgusted by the lack of coverage but .... let's face it, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Edit: Also, Huffington Post is acting as a link dump right now:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/13/i...e_n_215189.html

Also, here:

http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/13/alerts-from-tehran/

Obviously, read with a critical eye.

Also, report here: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...tid=26274216001

I'd say I'm disgusted by the lack of coverage but .... let's face it, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Fuck it, I'm disgusted and maybe even a tad surprise. It may come to nothing and likely will, but we still might be seeing a fucking revolution in Fucking Iran. This has to be fucking covered.

Anyway, thanks for the links Shyrke, reading them all with interest.

Fuck it, I'm disgusted and maybe even a tad surprise. It may come to nothing and likely will, but we still might be seeing a fucking revolution in Fucking Iran. This has to be fucking covered.

Anyway, thanks for the links Shyrke, reading them all with interest.

Agreed. I'm going to see if I can dredge something up on BBC news or one of the other random channels. Shit, maybe I can find al-Jazeera...

From Huffington:

6:12 PM ET -- "Deafening." From a reader: "My next door neighbor is an Iranian immigrant who came here in 1977. He just received a SAT phone call from his brother in Tehran who reports that the rooftops of nighttime Tehran are filled with people shouting 'Allah O Akbar' in protest of the government and election results. The last time he remembers this happening is in 1979 during the Revolution. Says the sound of tens of thousands on the rooftops is deafening right now." It's almost four in the morning in Iran.

I'm beginning to doubt/hope this is not going to come to nothing. I gotta call my buddies and see if their families are doing ok.

BTW, if your wondering about the whole "Allah Akbar" thing, it's apparently the Iranian/etc equivalent of "USA! USA! USA!" and thus suitable for virtually any occasion when you need to be loud.

Aye. I mean, I know there's not much confirmed right now, but that's because the idiots news channels have dumped their foreign bureaus for more pundits. This will almost certainly be one of the biggest stories of this year, at least as it's looking right now. And yet, no coverage. /sigh

A Translation of Mousavi's letter to the public:

In the Name of God

Honorable people of Iran

The reported results of the 10th Iranians residential Election are appalling. The people who witnessed the mixture of votes in long lineups know who they have voted for and observe the wizardry of I.R.I.B (State run TV and Radio) and election officials. Now more than ever before they want to know how and by which officials this game plan has been designed. I object fully to the current procedures and obvious and abundant deviations from law on the day of election and alert people to not surrender to this dangerous plot. Dishonesty and corruption of officials as we have seen will only result in weakening the pillars of the Islamic Republic of Iran and empowers lies and dictatorships.

I am obliged, due to my religious and national duties, to expose this dangerous plot and to explain its devastating effects on the future of Iran. I am concerned that the continuation of the current situation will transform all key members of this regime into fabulists in confrontation with the nation and seriously jeopardize them in this world and the next.

I advise all officials to halt this agenda at once before it is too late, return to the rule of law and protect the nation’s vote and know that deviation from law renders them illegitimate. They are aware better than anyone else that this country has been through a grand Islamic revolution and the least message of this revolution is that our nation is alert and will oppose anyone who aims to seize the power against the law.

I use this chance to honor the emotions of the nation of Iran and remind them that Iran, this sacred being, belongs to them and not to the fraudulent. It is you who should stay alert. The traitors to the nation’s vote have no fear if this house of Persians burns in flames. We will continue with our green wave of rationality that is inspired by our religious learnings and our love for prophet Mohammad and will confront the rampage of lies that has appeared and marked the image of our nation. However we will not allow our movement to become blind one.

I thank every citizen who took part in spreading this green message by becoming a campaigner and all official and self organized campaigns, I insist that their presence is essential until we achieve results deserving of our country.

[ verse from in Quran: Why not trust in God, who has shown us our ways. We are patient in face of what disturbs us. Our resilience is in god. ]

Mir Hossein Mousavi

From Huffington:

I'm beginning to doubt/hope this is not going to come to nothing. I gotta call my buddies and see if their families are doing ok.

BTW, if your wondering about the whole "Allah Akbar" thing, it's apparently the Iranian/etc equivalent of "USA! USA! USA!" and thus suitable for virtually any occasion when you need to be loud.

Aye. I mean, I know there's not much confirmed right now, but that's because the idiots news channels have dumped their foreign bureaus for more pundits. This will almost certainly be one of the biggest stories of this year, at least as it's looking right now. And yet, no coverage. /sigh

I like Sullivan's brief little bit:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...wittered-1.html

Mock not. As the regime shut down other forms of communication, Twitter survived. With some remarkable results. Those rooftop chants that were becoming deafening in Tehran?

That a new information technology could be improvised for this purpose so swiftly is a sign of the times. It reveals in Iran what the Obama campaign revealed in the United States. You cannot stop people any longer. You cannot control them any longer. They can bypass your established media; they can broadcast to one another; they can organize as never before.

This is the same feeling I'm having about televised news right now. The Huff-Post link was a great resource. Sullivan's links have been good. I've been watching Youtube clips of foreign coverage non-stop. If there is a revolution, apparently it ain't being televised in the US. But news of it is sure as hell spreading. FUCK THE MSM!

Maybe Ser Scott can change the title to reflect the current situation? Might get some more views that way.

Iranian election a massive fraud: Protests in the streets, police cracking down, and Communication shut down (or something of the sort.)

More news:

The US is, as expected, refusing to recognize the results of the "election" for now. But other then that, their waiting to see what happens. The sensible policy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090613/ap_on_...t_pe/us_us_iran

Also, Twitter reports here:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23iranelection

I don't know how to use Twitter, but apparently this will help if you have an account or something. /shrug

Recent reports (all unconfirmed obviously) seem to indicate that students have seized control of the universities, but Police have apparently just attacked the girls dormitory. Also, protesters MAY have seized control of a police station somewhere.

Is there anything concrete to indicate that the election results were manipulated besides Mousavi's say-so? I can't stand Ahmedinejad and I'd love to see someone better take his place, but isn't it just as possible that the opposition are a bunch of sore losers?

I know polling indicated a tight race, but we've seen polls be wildly off before.

EDIT: Courtesy of Xray and Juan Cole, some evidence to suggest that the election was indeed fixed: http://www.juancole.com/2009/06/stealing-i...n-election.html

More Twitter:

Another police station in Tehran is taken over by people.Telecommunication building in Amirabad is on fire

Is there anything concrete to indicate that the election results were manipulated besides Mousavi's say-so? I can't stand Ahmedinejad and I'd love to see someone better take his place, but isn't it just as possible that the opposition are a bunch of sore losers?

I know polling indicated a tight race, but we've seen polls be wildly off before.

I had a link awhile back with the rundown. But, essentially, the results are ALWAYS the same ratio of win for Ahmadinejad (including his opponents home city), the Ayatollah endorsed the results within hours instead of waiting the usual 3 days and a bunch of other stuff. More stuff here: http://www.juancole.com/2009/06/stealing-i...n-election.html

This link gives a good point by point of why a fix is pretty incontrovertible. You've got an election that all polls had tight as hell going to Ahmedinejad by 65%, with even Mousavi's home town going to Ahmedinejad by 57%? No, this is fraud.

http://www.juancole.com/2009/06/stealing-i...n-election.html

Archived